Realistically, when do think Disney will no longer require masks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mousefan mom

Mouseketeer
I would love to plan a summer trip, but I just can't bring myself to do so while mask wearing is still required. It sounds miserable to me (and I do have to wear one all day at work--it is the first thing I pull off when I leave even inside where it isn't hot and humid). My husband and I will be fully vaccinated soon and we are so over the masks. I work in a school schedule and the first week of August is my last week I could possibly travel before school starts--next opportunity isn't until Christmas--when its super crowded and expensive. Do you guys think Disney will let go of mask wearing by June/July?

I surely hope not. The point of the masks was to reduce people dying of COVID and over burdening the hospitals--and I do understand that. However, once vaccination is available to all who want them--I can't imagine having to stay masked all the time (especially outdoors in the open air). I do know it is a possibility--and we keep canceling trips and pushing them back and will do so as long as we have too--but I am hoping once the county Disney is in (or Universal--which my TA thinks is more likely to drop the mask requirements sooner) they will relax it a bit. I suspect they got super strict recently due to spring break and so many still vaccinated.

I surely hope not. The point of the masks was to reduce people dying of COVID and over burdening the hospitals--and I do understand that. However, once vaccination is available to all who want them--I can't imagine having to stay masked all the time (especially outdoors in the open air). I do know it is a possibility--and we keep canceling trips and pushing them back and will do so as long as we have too--but I am hoping once the county Disney is in (or Universal--which my TA thinks is more likely to drop the mask requirements sooner) they will relax it a bit. I suspect they got super strict recently due to spring break and so many still vaccinated.

What does this even mean they've had a firm mask policy since they reopened in July 2020? If you think there is any chance you'll be able to visit WDW maskless this summer you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Brett, they recently made their policy even stricter that even if you are at a table service restaurant you have to wear it unless you are actively eating/drinking (even when waiting for food, etc.). This is what I was referring too. No need to be rude, this isn't meant to spark rudeness. I wear a mask (even fully vaccinated) all the time--I just don't want to wear one on vacation.

Brett, they recently made their policy even stricter that even if you are at a table service restaurant you have to wear it unless you are actively eating/drinking (even when waiting for food, etc.). This is what I was referring too. No need to be rude, this isn't meant to spark rudeness. I wear a mask (even fully vaccinated) all the time--I just don't want to wear one on vacation.

Oh yeah not to be rude either :) I just think from a business CYA perspective they will keep masks there for as long a possible!

Brett, they recently made their policy even stricter that even if you are at a table service restaurant you have to wear it unless you are actively eating/drinking (even when waiting for food, etc.). This is what I was referring too.

So why are you challenging the answers given to your question? Whether you agree with their choices or not, the most *likely* scenario is that Disney will maintain mask requirements in some form until both vaccination levels are at "herd immunity" projections, and rates are significantly falling. Relaxing then being forced to reinstate mask requirements would clearly be a bad situation for Disney, so the easy choice is?

However, once vaccination is available to all who want them-
Disney's primary audience is still kids. Kids won't be able to get the vaccine this summer. At least not most kids. You're still going to be masking this summer. We'll likely see social distancing relaxed before we see masking relaxed. Relaxing social distancing could mean a lot of experiences returning to Disney, just with masks.

Brett, I can see the point on the CYA thing for sure. I've been watching closely the new cruises that are coming out this summer and are making vaccinations mandatory--I've not yet seen (unless I missed it) if masks will be required...that will be interesting though. I fully know Disney is an international travel destination, and other countries aren't as fortunate as ours to get vaccines out so quickly...so who knows? Honestly, I will be pleasantly surprised if they relax it at all this summer--but a girl can dream right? :-).

Ugh--yes not looking for nastiness or a locked thread. Not a pro or con about mask wearing here at all...so sad they have become such a political thing that adults can't have a discussion about them in a civil way--please folks keep it civil--no one really enjoys wearing them, right (well--those who might probably don't have to wear one all day, lol and are speaking of it in theory versus experience, lol). I mean at some point we will no longer have/need to wear them right? Is it sad too that I can get passed the other COVID changes at Disney (and I LOVE fireworks) but the idea of masking up 99% of the time, I just can't wrap my head around.

Just because people can sign up/register or start to get vaccinated doesn't mean everyone who wants to do so will actually be able to do so by this summer. There's a huge backlog where I live, even of 65+. They are opening it to everyone on Monday, but the chances that everyone who wants one will get one before June is slim. Plus, if you do the 2, then that's about 6 weeks from start to full efficacy.

Just because people can sign up/register or start to get vaccinated doesn't mean everyone who wants to do so will actually be able to do so by this summer. There's a huge backlog where I live, even of 65+. They are opening it to everyone on Monday, but the chances that everyone who wants one will get one before June is slim. Plus, if you do the 2, then that's about 6 weeks from start to full efficacy.
Yowzers--this is where it gets interesting how differently it goes by state too. Our state (and keep in mind I haven't been out of it in a year now) is rolling them out very quickly--even my teenager will get his this weekend. We are open to any age now (well the ages the vaccination is approved for) where I live. I've already had my 2nd dose and am fully vaccinated--my husband will be in a couple of weeks. I have some hope since the President (again no debate from either party please) has stated by June all who want vaccinations should have them--and inferred by 4th of July we might be somewhat normal.

Brett, I can see the point on the CYA thing for sure. I've been watching closely the new cruises that are coming out this summer and are making vaccinations mandatory--I've not yet seen (unless I missed it) if masks will be required...that will be interesting though. I fully know Disney is an international travel destination, and other countries aren't as fortunate as ours to get vaccines out so quickly...so who knows? Honestly, I will be pleasantly surprised if they relax it at all this summer--but a girl can dream right? :-).

I honesty think masks will be the absolute last piece of pandemic restrictions we see leave the parks. My, completely uneducated, guess is they will continue to increase capacity in the parks, in restaurants, and on rides. But they will keep the mask policy in place while the do this because it's not costing them in money to do so and it can only have a positive outcome(for them).

Yowzers--this is where it gets interesting how differently it goes by state too.

I live very close to a state line. On my side of the line, vaccines are basically walk-up at some convenience stores. On the other side of the state line, I know people who work in medical areas who are still in a lottery system.

of course some of the high availability for my state is because there is a much lower take up, so...

I honesty think masks will be the absolute last piece of pandemic restrictions we see leave the parks. My, completely uneducated, guess is they will continue to increase capacity in the parks, in restaurants, and on rides. But they will keep the mask policy in place while the do this because it's not costing them in money to do so and it can only have a positive outcome(for them).

Plexiglass. I wouldn't be surprised if some of that stuff way outstays its welcome.

Yowzers--this is where it gets interesting how differently it goes by state too. Our state (and keep in mind I haven't been out of it in a year now) is rolling them out very quickly--even my teenager will get his this weekend. We are open to any age now (well the ages the vaccination is approved for) where I live. I've already had my 2nd dose and am fully vaccinated--my husband will be in a couple of weeks. I have some hope since the President (again no debate from either party please) has stated by June all who want vaccinations should have them--and inferred by 4th of July we might be somewhat normal.

Well, Texas is messed up. Plus, here in Austin, a ton of people want to get it. The local health authority, which is one of 3 hubs for the county, has over 250,000 people 65+ or high risk on their waiting list. They are only getting 12,000 a week, so about 20 weeks from now just for those 65+/high risk. NO chance I'll get one from them. They are primarily getting the 2 shot. The other hub is serving lower economic strata and minority groups. I don't know if they just aren't vaccinating quickly enough; however, looking at shots per state on CNN, Texas has usually only administered <5% that what other states have administered percentage wise based upon how many vaccines have been sent to the state. Texas is claiming that the feds are not giving us enough vaccine. Looking at how many adults we have in the state compared to Florida or California, it looks like Texas has been receiving about the right percentage. So, I just don't know. I am seriously thinking of getting it when I go to Oklahoma this summer to drop of our son at the grandparents. I see appointments at CVS available all of the time there. You look at Texas, and every city, except Lubbock, will be unavailable :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter