Realistically, when do think Disney will no longer require masks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is neither rumors or news but I guess that’s what this board has become. Masks will be around for a while. Probably fall at the absolute earliest. Disney won’t make a change until the CDC no longer recommends mask wearing. It doesn’t matter how much people complain about it, you’ll have to wear a mask.

Well, Texas is messed up. Plus, here in Austin, a ton of people want to get it. The local health authority, which is one of 3 hubs for the county, has over 250,000 people 65+ or high risk on their waiting list. They are only getting 12,000 a week, so about 20 weeks from now just for those 65+/high risk. NO chance I'll get one from them. They are primarily getting the 2 shot. The other hub is serving lower economic strata and minority groups. I don't know if they just aren't vaccinating quickly enough; however, looking at shots per state on CNN, Texas has usually only administered <5% that what other states have administered percentage wise based upon how many vaccines have been sent to the state. Texas is claiming that the feds are not giving us enough vaccine. Looking at how many adults we have in the state compared to Florida or California, it looks like Texas has been receiving about the right percentage. So, I just don't know. I am seriously thinking of getting it when I go to Oklahoma this summer to drop of our son at the grandparents. I see appointments at CVS available all of the time there. You look at Texas, and every city, except Lubbock, will be unavailable :(
Uggh--I'm sincerely so sorry. That would be beyond frustrating. I'm in Ohio--it was slow going at first, but has really picked up speed lately. We too are a highly populated state. I know some of the hurdles we had here was administering it--at first doses were going wasted because they were so worried about locking in only eligible people (and they have to use all the doses they get each day at a site)...they seem a lot more willing to open it up at the end of the day if they have surplus doses (i.e. people didn't show up for their shot for whatever reason)...now that it is open to all this is less an issue. I bet they are doing so much to target only certain groups they aren't administering it efficiently (that is my best guess anyway). Good luck to you---and hopefully pixie dust comes to Texas soon:-)

Yeah it is quite an eyesore.
Yeah, I forgot about the Plexiglass....oh I miss normal....we generally aren't beach people but I am thinking that might be the closest to "normal" vacation we might get this summer (cabin in the woods, etc.).

I think Chapek set the expectations that masks and social distancing will be gone as soon as possible. I could see a relax mandate at first (maybe with Memory Maker photos or outdoors).

As @Brett Wyman mentioned, the rates are still rising in half of the country. We will eventually start a fast turnaround like Israel. My gut feeling is we'll get there in June and July. If the numbers hold steady, it might not be long for some sort of relaxation of policy. I'd say the chances are extremely low for the summer.

It's also complicated due to children (no vaccine available) and international guests. That could throw an entire wrinkle into the mix and might push us way into 2022 before global herd immunity is achieved.

Personally I have a trip in December. I'm hoping masks are gone but it's not the #1 thing on my list. Fireworks, FP+ (especially if capacity is increased), resorts and restaurants to re-open, entertainment, Dining Plan, etc. make up a combo platter of sorts. How much of that comes back and if masks are still mandated will impact my decision overall.

Yeah, I forgot about the Plexiglass....oh I miss normal....we generally aren't beach people but I am thinking that might be the closest to "normal" vacation we might get this summer (cabin in the woods, etc.).

Book now! Pretty much everyone I know who is planning to travel this summer is doing that, or thinking of. My hunch is bookings will dry up fast. Talking to my pool guy today, they're backordered on pool installs for three years. I suggested there'll be cancellations now people are getting past the lock-down panic, and he said they're still getting calls offering double the money to jump the line. I think even people who are willing to travel know that there'll be a lot of compromises needed, so easier to just take a staycation, or a cabin in the mountains.

That’ll be the day they drop that! Well into 2022, maybe beyond. CDC would love the masks to continue even after COVID to reduce the flu spread.

Disney will be the last company, literally, that drops it. People are getting vaccinated and Disney’s response right now is to get even stricter with masks regardless. Management has gone nuts with this.

That’ll be the day they drop that! Well into 2022, maybe beyond. CDC would love the masks to continue even after COVID to reduce the flu spread.

Disney will be the last company, literally, that drops it. People are getting vaccinated and Disney’s response right now is to get even stricter with masks regardless. Management has gone nuts with this.

I disagree.

Disney is still a vacation spot. There's a chunk of people that won't go until masks are gone.

Give it a few months after the vaccines are available to everyone. The end goal is to get rid of masks.

I disagree.

Disney is still a vacation spot. There's a chunk of people that won't go until masks are gone.

Give it a few months after the vaccines are available to everyone. The end goal is to get rid of masks.

I'd like to think so, but I'm not sure if that's the CDC's main goal. I suspect they will keep their mask recommendation for much longer than state policies do, which is why I think Disney isn't necessarily going to follow the CDC to the letter. Chapek already hinted at changes being made based on the vaccination rate and he was quoted as saying "absolutely not" when speaking about masks and distancing in 2022.

I assume summer there will still be mask requirements. Maybe by the end of the year there won’t be. I’m booked for 2022 - hoping it will be normal (or whatever new normal that includes fireworks) by then.

Disney is a business that relies on guests for profit. They will follow CDC recommendations until it starts costing them money. If they wait until they are the last company with a mask policy, then it will have started costing them money long before that - if their potential patrons have abundant other mask-free options.

I'd like to think so, but I'm not sure if that's the CDC's main goal. I suspect they will keep their mask recommendation for much longer than state policies do, which is why I think Disney isn't necessarily going to follow the CDC to the letter. Chapek already hinted at changes being made based on the vaccination rate and he was quoted as saying "absolutely not" when speaking about masks and distancing in 2022.
I agree with you here, because the CDC is a government medical institution. They are at the forefront because this is a medical emergency. They aren't interested in the economy or the health of American business.

At some point, probably when herd immunity is reached, then we are going to have to start focusing on factors other than medical safety.

And once this state of emergency is gone, the CDC will have minimal influence and no real power to do anything anyway.

Options are book and cancel if mask are still required or wait it out and see what happens. I am in the wait it out camp because I do not want to book a trip and then be disappointed. I found that the mask was not bad during the trip I made this winter, but would not be comfortable during the summer. If gaiters/buffs are allowed I might reconsider. Until then I will be content to wait and enjoy trip reports.

I am not sure the CDC will actually have that much control over Disney—although I agree the way they lean, they will likely be one of the last to drop it. The State of Florida does not have a mask mandate, but the county Disney is located in does require them at this time. Although it may be a
Long shot for summer, I suspect once they get more vaccinated people, spring break (and I anticipate we will see a bit of surge following spring break), and Disneyland (finally) gets to reopen—there is hope things will relax in Florida by the end of summer. We currently have multiple trips booked, lol—late summer being the first. I suspect once Universal drops that mask mandate Disney will come around real quick. 😂

I am not sure the CDC will actually have that much control over Disney—although I agree the way they lean, they will likely be one of the last to drop it. The State of Florida does not have a mask mandate, but the county Disney is located in does require them at this time. Although it may be a
Long shot for summer, I suspect once they get more vaccinated people, spring break (and I anticipate we will see a bit of surge following spring break), and Disneyland (finally) gets to reopen—there is hope things will relax in Florida by the end of summer. We currently have multiple trips booked, lol—late summer being the first. I suspect once Universal drops that mask mandate Disney will come around real quick. 😂
That will all depend on case numbers and those are trending in the wrong direction.

That will all depend on case numbers and those are trending in the wrong direction.
Absolutely (I suspect—hope anyway) we will only continue to see case numbers go down by June/July (maybe after a spike for spring break). I am optimistic though 🤪

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter