Really??? fun in the rain huh?

We were there 1 spring break where it rained 3 days in a row. Not just the average shower but an all day rain. One day we made it a game to try and figure out how to get from point A to point B without getting wet and using Disney transportation. We made the best of it. It sucked though.

You guys can all send that rain over to Colorado, please!
We could use it so our state stops burning up.

I try to make the best of things, but no way I could have fun in WDW with torrential downpour for that much of my vacation. Would be a huge bummer. No way around it.
Go to the bar I guess!:drinking1

From your mouth to God's ears!! I live in Colorado Springs, and so far over 30,000 people have been evacuated. Thank God we live on the south-east end!!!

The indoor areas do get crazy during the rain. Try to have fun doing the unsual! Jump on the monarail and have your kids pretend they going to far away locations. Stop in the resorts and continue play acting, while walking around... the polynesian is really in Hawaii, Grand FLoridian is the past, etc.... There is a great arcade in the Comptempary! Get on one a the boats and do the same! Plan a sagvenger hunt in your resort using the lobby areas. Check out the community centers and the resorts they have a ton for the kids to do and movies to rent! I hope it stops raining and the magic can continue for you!

You can't compare a summer shower to a tropical storm dumping tons of rain over several days. They're not the same thing. I think someone's allowed to be bummed that it's rained over their entire WDW vacation. And, having small kids multiplies the issues exponentially. I'd be bummed.

You can't compare a summer shower to a tropical storm dumping tons of rain over several days. They're not the same thing. I think someone's allowed to be bummed that it's rained over their entire WDW vacation. And, having small kids multiplies the issues exponentially. I'd be bummed.

:thumbsup2 Agree! I've been through more tropical storms, hurricanes than I can count (son #1 was born during one) but mostly I was snug in my home and we DID NOT even like them then - definitely not after spending $$'s expecting a magical vacation. Pouring rain, gusty winds, are no where near magical for me, maybe because they were a way of life in the summer, plus the danger aspect. Really feel for you, OP :grouphug:

I do feel for the peeps there this week. We were there Jun 4-10, and had downpours every day (there was one night that was particularly awful - I walked from our tower to the lobby two towers over and had to change clothes when I got back, even with the poncho on). I would have been very upset if that downpour had been every day, almost all of the day. We had that on the drive home coming through GA and TN. Going 35mph and barely being able to see the interstate is not fun.

Luckily, the early parts of each day were fine, and we had hours and hours in cloudy parks that weren't hot. We barely used sunscreen, we didn't sweat to death, and we never even opened the misting fans I brought, unlike our last trip in June 2009. It was great.

But I would not have wanted the total downpours going on now. Especially if we were all 4 crammed into a standard hotel room. I think my mom now gets why dh and I work so hard to get a 2 br condo for vacations - having 3 tvs and 3 separate areas made all the difference in the world.

Can you show me where I said they were not entitled to feel a bit down? I believe my thing was more, you can't help it so make the best of it.

I've taken trips to Disney before moving down here. I've been caught in several day long storms. If I didn't have experience in the lemons to lemonade philosophy I have then I would keep my mouth shut.

Is rain disappointing? Yes. Is there anything you can do about it? No.

But what I can tell you with all certainty is where I was at Universal and where my husband was at the MK it was not down pouring all day long. That's all I said and I got jumped on about how I don't know anything and how I was calling people liars. I'm just FEELING the pixie dust, aren't you?
I think some may have gotten the idea you are calling some liars because you stated it wasn't raining "all day". While it is a "fact" it may not have rained in a particular area "all day" rains have been "in fact" coming down "all day" across the State. When a person is on vacation, and they have to dodge "rain bands all day" to them, that is dodging rain "all day" do you get the point some were trying to make now? You were taking the phrase "literally". Yes, bands were coming in all day for a few days and still are. If you watch the weather, you would even hear them stating that. So this is where some are getting their "facts" from. I personally never called you a "liar" I just think you interpreted some posts literally and the wrong way. ;) If you felt they had a right to complain, then you never should have stated the "fact" that it wasn't raining "all day" and just left it. :confused3 You jumped on the band wagon of, "oh come on, a little rain doesn't hurt anyone" mentality. Unless I read your post incorrectly, that is the message it sends. To someone spending thousands of dollars to come to Disney for a dream vacation, running from Tropical Storm Debby Bands every so many hours can very well mean raining "all day". Think about that before you correct them with the literal facts...;)
Also a small tip, just because you can make really great tasting lemonade, not everyone can afford to... this so called lemonade may be the only Disney lemonade they will have for the next 5 years... and to me, that is a sour lemonade. It is easy for one to say that lives here or even one who comes once a year, but the one who doesn't or the one who has their first trip.... think about that one too...... sometimes lemonade may be made, but there just isn't any sugar to make it sweet & there is nothing worse than sour lemonade :(
To answer your question about the Pixie Dust, nope, just not feeling it with this storm. I have a house with a leaky roof due to the storm, streets are flooding, power had gone out.. yep not feeling the Pixie Dust... but glad you are .... glad someone is.

I think some may have gotten the idea you are calling some liars because you stated it wasn't raining "all day". While it is a "fact" it may not have rained in a particular area "all day" rains have been "in fact" coming down "all day" across the State. When a person is on vacation, and they have to dodge "rain bands all day" to them, that is dodging rain "all day" do you get the point some were trying to make now? You were taking the phrase "literally". Yes, bands were coming in all day for a few days and still are. If you watch the weather, you would even hear them stating that. So this is where some are getting their "facts" from. I personally never called you a "liar" I just think you interpreted some posts literally and the wrong way. ;) If you felt they had a right to complain, then you never should have stated the "fact" that it wasn't raining "all day" and just left it. :confused3 You jumped on the band wagon of, "oh come on, a little rain doesn't hurt anyone" mentality. Unless I read your post incorrectly, that is the message it sends. To someone spending thousands of dollars to come to Disney for a dream vacation, running from Tropical Storm Debby Bands every so many hours can very well mean raining "all day". Think about that before you correct them with the literal facts...;)

ok.

Mu son was at WDW one time this time of the year during a tropical storm that lasted all week. He came home with soggy sneakers that I promptly threw away, they stunk!! They did the best they could with what they had! Unfortunately, you can't predict the weather!!

From your mouth to God's ears!! I live in Colorado Springs, and so far over 30,000 people have been evacuated. Thank God we live on the south-east end!!!

Oh man, I am so sorry! Praying for you and your family. I have some friends that lost homes but most of them live far enough east. Stay safe!

His own personal sauna ;)

Cute pic! The stroller rain cover was one of the best purchases we've ever made! Kept DS from getting soaked a number of times! To the PP who thinks it's unsafe, these are made for strollers and are vented on the sides. It's not like baby is in a plastic bag!

We've been there for tropical downpours, as well as for Hurricane Charlie..that was fun. We've been there during the summer, when we prayed for a tropical downpour!!
If you go to central Florida, from May thru Oct, you have to be prepared for rain..and sometimes days of it. Not the most fun you can have but it is to be expected.
We had one summer WDW trip that was incredible. We had a 1pm trail ride. The sky looked threatening but we were told that they were in constant contact with the weather people...if there were to be 'bad weather' they would be told. Well...we were about 20 mins into the hour long ride when the skies opened!! I have never been that wet, with all my clothes on!!! It was as if I had jumped into a pool!!! My underwear was even soaked. But, they refunded our money when we returned.
The next day??? It was beautiful when we left the Polynesian for MK. It was about 2pm. By the time we got to MK, via the monorail, the sky was almost black. The monorail was held at the platform. We all stood around, waiting for the storm to pass. I have yet to see a storm quite like that one!! The monorail wasn't allowed to leave!! The lights started coming on by 2:45!!! And yes, we were still standing, under cover, on the platform. By 3, we said enough is enough!! And ran for MK. We were pretty soaked by the time we got to Main St. But, the park was virtually empty!!! We did buy ponchos..since we stupidly left our .99 ones back in the room!!! We had a great night. It rained until about 9pm...then the rain let up and it just showered!!! We still talk about that day/night!!!

It's WDW, it's central Florida, it's June/July/August. It's going to hot/steamy and/or rainy. If it doesn't rain, you die. YOu start praying for rain!!! One August when we were there, Orlando was having a heat wave!!! Believe me, rain is not the worst thing that can happen, weather-wise. You do NOT want to be in central Florida, in August, when there is a heat wave. Worse than torrential rain.

If it rains, get a poncho, and head out. You should have packed a pair of wet weather shoes. We tend to bring Crocs with us just for that reason. Yes, they can get slippery when it's wet, but if you're careful, it's fine. Or, just plan accordingly and buy some water sandals. I have some that I wear all the time in Florida in the summer months. They're comfy and they are fine if wet.
Wear shorts, and short-sleeved shirts. That way only your skin is getting wet. Head for the indoor stuff...attractions, movies, shops.

My first trip to WDW was in May 2009. When we arrived, it looked like all of their water retention ponds were bone dry. By the time we left, I think I could have gone swimming in them. It was probably the rainest vacation that I had ever taken.

I really did try my best to make the best of it. The mornings were typically dry so we got up early to get as much done as possible. When the steady rain started around lunch time we put on our poncho's and kept going. What I found frustrating was that at night it always seemed to storm right around the time for fireworks. In a week long trip, we only saw Illuminations once (standing in the rain). Wishes and Fantasmic were cancelled every time we tried to see them. I was truly disappointed about that.

We stayed at CBR. We never used their pools (closed most of the time due to weather). It just seemed like so much work to get back and forth from our room (Jamica) and to the food court in the rain. Also, I don't know if its always like this or if the rain brought them out, but there were frogs everywhere. I have a really weird irrational fear of frogs. I just can't stand them, they creep me out and I just want to run when I see one (I know, its really weird). We would come back to the resort late at night (because we did try to take advantage of the parks even in the rain) and they were everywhere. It was horrible. I know I probably woke people up a few times shrieking b/c one of them almost jumped on me. There were nights I was almost in tears by the time I got to my room. It was horrible. So much so, that I don't know if I can go back to CBR because all I remember about there is the frogs. (I will have to conquer my fears one day and go back!).

I think that my breaking point was our last day there. I was so tired (Disney tired and rain/weather tired). That Friday we woke up and it was so bright and sunny outside. It was awesome. We went to DHS for the day. As the morning went on, it started to cloud up some. DH wanted to ride Tower of Tower. I didn't feel like (I actually had a slight sore throat, presumably from being in the rain so much) so I told him I wanted to sit it out. While waiting for him, it started to pour down rain. I took cover under the awning of an ice cream place near the entrance of ToT thinking it would slow down soon. I huddled there with another gentleman who was waiting for his family to ride as well (at least I had some company). 45 minutes later, I was still standing there with water running over my ankles it was still raining so hard. After another 15 minutes or so it stopped raining, here comes my DH walking towards me. He had been in the ToT gift shop and he was dry as a bone and loving life. Me, I'm in my poncho, cold, wet and tired. This is the part that just about sent me over the edge. One of the ice cream windows was open for business (I was standing under one that wasn't open). One of the girls working gave my DH a free cup of icecream. Specifically called him over and asked if he wanted it. I can't even describe it, but I was furious. I had been standing there trying to stay out of the rain for an hour and they give him the free icecream. Needless to say, that ice cream became mine! The weather cleared up briefly and then another storm rolled through. Let me tell you, there is nothing like the feeling of having water run over your ankles from the rain and having bolts of lightening strike pretty much right over top of you. It was scary. People were screaming and running. That is what finally did me in. I told DH, I was going back to the hotel room and wasn't leaving until it was time to go to the airport. The next morning. I woke up, called a cab to the airport b/c I wanted to get there ASAP (I was done with disney at that point) and proceded to find out that our flight was delayed by 2 hours! Oh...and it was beautiful, bright and sunny that day. (When we got home, it was raining!).

Even though it was rainy, we still have a lot of good memories from that trip. We've been back twice since and I'm always planning disney vacations in my head.

Not safe at all

and whats not safe about keeping your child dry while they nap? there is no sun, its not hot, the rain cover is designed by the stroller company to allow all the proper air flow without letting the rain in. Next time please keep your negative comments to yourself. thank you.

Cute pic! The stroller rain cover was one of the best purchases we've ever made! Kept DS from getting soaked a number of times! To the PP who thinks it's unsafe, these are made for strollers and are vented on the sides. It's not like baby is in a plastic bag!

Thank you!!! :goodvibes

I do feel for the peeps there this week. We were there Jun 4-10, and had downpours every day (there was one night that was particularly awful - I walked from our tower to the lobby two towers over and had to change clothes when I got back, even with the poncho on). I would have been very upset if that downpour had been every day, almost all of the day. We had that on the drive home coming through GA and TN. Going 35mph and barely being able to see the interstate is not fun.

Luckily, the early parts of each day were fine, and we had hours and hours in cloudy parks that weren't hot. We barely used sunscreen, we didn't sweat to death, and we never even opened the misting fans I brought, unlike our last trip in June 2009. It was great.

But I would not have wanted the total downpours going on now. Especially if we were all 4 crammed into a standard hotel room. I think my mom now gets why dh and I work so hard to get a 2 br condo for vacations - having 3 tvs and 3 separate areas made all the difference in the world.

CyndiLooWho we were there the exact same dates and yes the downpours were really bad on some of the days, but after looking at what the poor visitors are having to deal with this week it seems we got the better week for sure.

Actually for me the rain is the best. It makes the big crowds leave. Then all of the rides are open. :thumbsup2

Holy smoke! Missmanda I truly feel for ya!

I hate the summer rains. This sounds bad I know but I hate to smell other people's funk. Being trapped in line with it then sitting in their wet spots. Again, I know that sounds really bad of me but its just the way it is.

I remember the family having ADRs for dinner at Cindy's in MK. Coming off Small World its pouring and the cast members are all yelling you cant stay in here, clear the line, you've got to leave, etc. So out we go toward the castle with a most memorable pic with Cindy, all of us soaked to the bone and there she is looking every bit the princess. Upstairs to eat and we were freezing the whole time. Ahhh... the memories.

The sun came out yesterday and I thought why not go to MK for a couple of hours before we go to Ohana. We're staying at ASMo so we had to take the bus there anyway. The sun brought everyone out. It was wonderful to feel the sun and see MK with a blue sky, but we got about a quarter of what we'd gotten done the day before in the same amount of time. After dinner, I asked dd if she wanted to go back for a little while. She said no. I could only laugh.

We had a little rain this morning for the first part of our AK day, but it stopped after a while. We're going to try to get some pool time in during the time we have left. We've only used it about 1.5 hours in the week we have been here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter