Really, the truth, how bad is the summer?

We were there this past August during the last week of the month. We're also from the Northeast. As far as crowd levels, it was on par with what we experienced during past October trips. Moderately crowded I'd say. Very manageable but very few rides were "walk on".

The weather was as expected - HOT. We tolerated it, but did find that things like watching outdoor shows or parades were simply not enjoyable because of that. Especially because a lot of the best viewing areas for shows like the ones in front of the castle in MK were in direct sunlight. It also rained daily, which we expected but it did put a damper on things. We lugged ponchos around and there was one day when it was a deluge in MK and we coming off the Little Mermaid ride. We had to suck it up and walk through it to get to the buses. At some points in the park, we were ankle deep in water due to poor drainage. So needless to say, we were soaked with soaked sneakers by the time we got back to the room. Our stuff had to dry out a while before we could even consider going back out, which we never did because the rain kept on.

Positives of this time of year though is that the daylight is long so you can really maximize your time. We got back to the resort around 4pm one day and still had a few hours of daylight left so we used the pool. You also don't have to worry about whether it will be warm enough to use the pool - we've traveled in November and April before and there were some days when it was too cold for that.

My family always went the last week in August before shipping me off to college. It is VERY humid, but manageable. Make sure to bring plenty of water, a cooling towel, and/or those spray water bottles.

We often go in June and July and honestly we never feel like the crowds are overwhelming except when trying to leave after the fireworks.

I would suggest making sure to be at the park before rope drop, though.

Not to be gross but I just can't deal with other people's sweat & odors so I would go to Hilton Head. The thought of getting on a ride and sitting in someone's else's sweat just makes me cringe. Also, some people wear so little clothing that I feel like I'm sitting right where their naked (private) body parts just were. EEWW!!

We've been to Hilton Head (not the Disney resort) several times in August and absolutely love it. It is hot and humid but you are at the beach or a pool and I don't have to sit where some other sweaty person was just sitting.

Yes, the benefit of sandals is that you avoid wet sneakers when it rains, but I certainly can't walk any distance comfortably in sandals. My feet and back would be killing me!

Crocks solves both of these problems for me..

We have never been in July or Aug.. been Early June and mid Sept.. both were hot but nothing that concerned me any. With the low crowd indicators pointing towards the summer months, it might be time for us to find out just how HOT it can be at WDW in August! ;)

Crocks solves both of these problems for me..

I've tried Crocs as well. The material of them gave me blisters after walking around in the Florida humidity. I wasn't used to that level of humidity at home where I didn't experience any blisters while wearing Crocs. Footwear is such a personal thing! lol

Yes, the benefit of sandals is that you avoid wet sneakers when it rains, but I certainly can't walk any distance comfortably in sandals. My feet and back would be killing me!
I wear Croc sandals and they hold up very well. And I believe there are several other good brands, as well.

I want to thank you all so much for your responses. I got the truth, the ugly truth. I had to laugh at some of them. As I sit here in PA, and the area schools were closed today from the snow and tomorrow will be closed because of low temperatures, I can still envision the misery of my college aged kids complaining about the heat. I am truly loving each response and fascinated at how everyone views the heat differently. It is subjective for sure! This is the best thread and thank you all so much!

After the past 3 weeks of living in Arendelle (or Hoth) I will gladly exchange it for summer in Florida.

This !!! We live in NYC and always feared going in the summer - we went last July 4th week and had an amazing trip -- when we got home, found out that the heat and humidity were actually worse in NYC that week !!
Yes!!! Same in CT! If I’m going to be hot, I may as well be in my favorite place on earth.

We've gone August a few times. It feels like you are in a tropical rainforest on the surface of he sun. That being said, we've always had a great time going then. We rope drop till lunch, back to resort to relax and swim and then back to parks at night. Totally do-able and the crowds aren't bad at all.

Tons of great information. I'm wondering what personal experience has been amongst the folks here on crowds in mid-June versus early August? I think we can deal with the heart (though you never can be sure until you've done it). Just not sure which one is more ideal from a crowd standpoint.

Having been the week of Christmas, which is the busiest of the year and over the summer, I’d much prefer to go back in the summer. Yes it’s hot, but we drink a lot of water, take mid day breaks and the water parks.

The kids and I are going down this summer with dh joining us for the second half. We can’t wait

We gone several times in August and then this past June. The weather in June (6/10-18) was much more tolerable than August. In fact, this past June the weather was beautiful! It did rain every afternoon but never interfered with our plans.

As a FL resident, I can confirm that the summer is surface of the sun hot with unrelenting humidity. That said, we visit Disney at least three times during the summer. We deal with the heat by going to the pool or water parks during the day and we never enter the parks until at least 5:00 pm. We find the heat manageable in the evening and we prefer the parks at night (fireworks are a big draw for us, coasters are more fun, shorter ride lines, and the lighting in the parks is nice). We always wear sandals - keens and sketchers make very comfortable "athletic" sandals that we can walk in comfortably all day. There is nothing worse than wet sneakers! We also have disposable ponchos on hand.

I've been there a few times in August. The crowds are a non-factor. Sure, there are people there but no more than any other random time of year. As for the weather, it must be respected but it is more than doable. The first rule is to constantly drink water. Between the humidity and the walking at WDW you will get dehydrated quicker than in other settings. Me, DW, and our college age kids wouldn't think twice about another August trip.

We went to Disney in the middle of July 2017.

The crowds were surprisingly low for the summer. I never felt as if I was overwhelmed by the amount of people at any point during the day or during nighttime fireworks.

When I compared it with December 2016, July was a cakewalk when it came to crowds. December (the first week) was uncomfortably crowded. Monorails, buses, so called FastPass fireworks areas....it was a claustrophobic mess.

I believe October to December will be the new high season because of the events and weather. There may be an increase in crowds this summer because of Toy Story but I still think vacationers will wait until the fall and winter to check it out.

However I will take the heat over crowds any day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter