• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rebooking Costco rental car Q

DizMe

Here we gooooo...
A general question about using Costco travel to book a rental car: at what point do you rebook? We have a car booked for a week and I've already canceled twice to rebook a better rate. Today it's another $50 off my previous booking price. Our trip is in Jan. I'm a little hesitant this close to the trip to keep rebooking. Any advice?

I’d continue to rebook anytime I see a lower rate. It fluctuates a lot, and while you may see a lower rate, it also could go up. As other poster mentioned, what’s the risk?

I use Costco almost exclusively for rental cars when I travel, and I play the rebooking game up to a few days before my trip - I always book the new reservation first, then cancel the old one. If you can save a little extra money, I think it's always worth it to rebook. I would look at that $50 savings as a way to pay for some churros, souvenirs, etc.! Also, there's never any penalty for rebooking with Costco - you can rebook as many times as you want when the price dips.

Book the lower rate then cancel the older reservation. I’ve had times where I’ve rebooked close to a dozen times because of price drops.

I also use Costco travel for car rentals and rebook usually a few times. Since they have it as a reason for cancelling ("Rebooking with Costco Travel"), I think they almost expect it to a certain extent.

Also, I have to thank you immensely for making this post...I checked our dates again and it saved us nearly $100 on our upcoming rental for next month! The way I see it, I just earned myself $100 in shopping money 😂

I should add that this is not a DL trip. Our current booking is for an intermediate SUV and the change would be to an intermediate car. It's just the 2 of us so the size of the vehicle doesn't matter. Actual price difference is $44 and destination is Kauai, if that matters. We're not going to be driving too much.

Edited to add that original booking was $635.27 for an intermdiate SUV. Rebooked Standard SUV for $461.64. Rebooked Int. SUV for $340.74. Now looking at Int. Car for $296.

I should add that this is not a DL trip. Our current booking is for an intermediate SUV and the change would be to an intermediate car. It's just the 2 of us so the size of the vehicle doesn't matter. Actual price difference is $44 and destination is Kauai, if that matters. We're not going to be driving too much.

Edited to add that original booking was $635.27 for an intermdiate SUV. Rebooked Standard SUV for $461.64. Rebooked Int. SUV for $340.74. Now looking at Int. Car for $296.
If you don't plan on driving too much or need the extra space I say go for the cheaper car option. More money for other things 🙂

Thank you for your replies! I went back and booked at $276 then cancelled the previous booking and in the time it took me to look at your responses and change it, the price dropped another $20! Man, I may be stalking the costco car rental page now, LOL.

ok, I feel like I've really been missing out lol. I always use Costco for rental cars but never knew the price could drop before my trip! I'll have to double check the prices before my next trip.

Glad you got a better price, DizMe, and have fun in Kauai!

ok, I feel like I've really been missing out lol. I always use Costco for rental cars but never knew the price could drop before my trip! I'll have to double check the prices before my next trip.

Glad you got a better price, DizMe, and have fun in Kauai!
Once I book a trip I continually re-check rates for rental car and hotel.
When rates go down I re-book or call to request a rate adjustment to save.
It pays off often.

Thank you for your replies! I went back and booked at $276 then cancelled the previous booking and in the time it took me to look at your responses and change it, the price dropped another $20! Man, I may be stalking the costco car rental page now, LOL.
Best of luck at the rental car counter in Kauai. If you have any “status“ with your rental company be prepared to use it. We would have waited 2 plus hours for an Avis car had I not remembered that we had Avis preferred status through a credit card, even with “preferred” status it took about 35 minutes. I’ve never seen anything like the chaos we encountered renting a car in Kauai.

Best of luck at the rental car counter in Kauai. If you have any “status“ with your rental company be prepared to use it. We would have waited 2 plus hours for an Avis car had I not remembered that we had Avis preferred status through a credit card, even with “preferred” status it took about 35 minutes. I’ve never seen anything like the chaos we encountered renting a car in Kauai.
Oh dear! No special status... I hope we don't have that experience!

Do you think they'd accept my MK? 8-)

Yeah the line is terrible at many places. Now Ill book with Alamo even if they cost more. You just check in on their app and walk straight to the cars. No need to stop at the rental counter.

Yeah the line is terrible at many places. Now Ill book with Alamo even if they cost more. You just check in on their app and walk straight to the cars. No need to stop at the rental counter.
Is this true everywhere? Would this be true in Kauai? They're about $30 more for the same vehicle, but if I could skip the line...

Also, is this applicable if you're booking an Alamo car through Costco or does it have to be from the Alamo site? I am guessing you wouldn't be able to check in through the Alamo app if you book through a 3rd party?

Last edited:
Is this true everywhere? Would this be true in Kauai? They're about $30 more for the same vehicle, but if I could skip the line...

Also, is this applicable if you're booking an Alamo car through Costco or does it have to be from the Alamo site? I am guessing you wouldn't be able to check in through the Alamo app if you book through a 3rd party?
I always rent with Costco and have no problem checking in via the Alamo app. Check out the travel forum on Trip Advisor for Kauai. Many Kauai experts there.

I always rent with Costco and have no problem checking in via the Alamo app. Check out the travel forum on Trip Advisor for Kauai. Many Kauai experts there.
Thanks! Looks like all you have to do is put in the Alamo confirmation number listed under the costco reservation, sign up for "skip the line" and then just walk to a car and drive away! Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter