Rec for dinner stop along the Garden State Parkway?

pwillunlv

Mouseketeer
As part of a New Jersey Vacation in early August, we are driving from Newark to Cape May.

Does anybody have any recommendations of where we could stop for dinner along the drive down the Garden State Parkway? Looking for a sit-down restaurant, but not necessarily fine-dining. Primarily looking for something unique (i.e. non-chain). A water-front view would be a huge plus, but it looks like that might be a bit of detour off the GSP. Anybody have any favorite stops?

Exit 63. Route 72 east toward Long Beach Island. About 1/2 mile on the right is Elements, a steak/seafood/sushi place. Somewhat upscale but casual. Good food. A little pricey.

Route 72 west toward Pemberton/Camden. About one mile on right is the Stafford Diner. Eclectic menu with a bit of everything. Moderate prices.

Sorry, no water views. Yep, you need to detour much further from the GSP to get a water view.

I'd wait until I was in Cape May unless you have a real NEED to stop along the way. I'd say it's about a 2 hour - 2.5 hour drive easily something done between meals. Not to say there aren't great places along the way but just for ease of travel.

If you still want ideas exit 100 you can head in about 10 minutes toward Asbury Park and eat on the boardwalk at some very nice places, langosta lounge or Stella Marina for example. Exit 82 is Toms River, lots of chains, or head into seaside.

I haven't driven from the Newark area down for a few years so I don't remember the entire route. I do know that when I get on around Atlantic City there really aren't any restaurants. I don't take that route often though, I'm cheap and prefer the non toll roads.

I agree with a previous poster though, it really is only a 2 to 3 hour drive depending on traffic. My aunt lived in Cape May and she absolutely loved the Lobster House. Sits right on the water and is supposed to have wonderful food.

Take exit 30 towards Summers Point and if you like Seafood there is the Crab Trap right by the bridge to Ocean City....you also will only be a few miles off the GSP. There are a few other restaurants by the circle there if you're not into seafood but want a water view.

There are also restaurants in Point Pleasant that are on the water, and not terribly far from the Parkway. Jack Baker's Wharfside, Lobster Shanty, Shrimp Box (MMM my favorite!), etc. If it's a weekend, though, you definitely want to stay away from Point. :rotfl2:

Not sure what type of food you are looking for but there are a lot of options...here are some that are not by water but 1/2 hour from the Newark area:

Exit 129 on the GSP you'll find this: Harold's New York Deli
http://www.haroldsfamousdeli.com/

If you are looking for a NYC style lunch/dinner with some pastrami or corned beef, look no further than this spot. Portions are HUGE and enough to share.

Exit 129 on the GSP you'll find this: Nunzio's
http://www.nunziosmenu.com/Menu.html

Known for amazing gourmet pizza's of all kinds - over 100 to choose from or create your own. Very unique cool spot not too far from the parkway

Exit 120 on the GSP you'll find this: Big Ed's BBQ
http://www.bigedsbbq.com/

Big Ed's is a very quirky BBQ place with all you can eat rib platters. Not a fancy type place or a chain but award winning ribs, amazing BBQ sauce and awesome garlic bread!

As others have said, it's only 2 - 2/12 hours from Newark to Cape May. The GSP is not along the shore, so any pit-stops along the way will take you a half hour to get to a water view, then a half hour back to the GSP.

Take exit 30 towards Summers Point and if you like Seafood there is the Crab Trap right by the bridge to Ocean City....you also will only be a few miles off the GSP. There are a few other restaurants by the circle there if you're not into seafood but want a water view.

It's actually spelled Somers Point, (if the OP wants to look it up or plug it into GPS.) And its at Exit 30 on the GSP. I haven't been to the Crab Trap, but I have been to Ike's Famous Crabcakes there in Ocean City/Somers Point. They really are to die for. Although, I think it's mostly the choice of sauces they give with the crabcakes. :love: I make it part of my trip each year, (along with Manco & Manco's pizza.) And it's on the boardwalk at 13th St, so there is a view of the ocean. But, one needs to take a few hours to explore the Ocean City boardwalk, not just do a quick drive-thru, IMO. :love:

But, Cape May is only about 25 minutes on the GSP from Ocean City, depending on the traffic and how fast one drives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter