Recent DME experiences?

MistisoMan

Earning My Ears
Remember seeing horror stories a few weeks ago, and wondered if things got any better. We’re arriving at 10am on Tuesday, taking DME to SSR and have lunch reservations at Homecoming for 2:00. Gotta cancel today if it doesn’t sound doable.

Anyone with recent stories?

You should be ok. However, if you get to DME and it's a long line or you're not on a bus by say 12:30, grab an uber/lyft/cab.

Now, that's assuming there's no issues with your flights or checked bags. No one can predict that. DME not's the only thing that can cause you to miss your reservation.

Can't chime in on recent DME, but wanted to say that we also had an arrival day lunch at Homecomin'. Booked it for 4+ hours from our landing, which I thought was plenty...until our flight got diverted :scared:. While we were on the ground waiting I searched the restaurant board and found the direct phone number for Homecomin' and explained what happened and that we'd be late. They could not have been nicer, made a note on our reservation and seated us within 5 or 10 minutes once we got there late.

We arrived this previous Saturday, November 6th and used DME at the airport. We arrived at about 6pm to the line. It said at least a 60 minute wait. We waited 1 hour and 20 minutes for a bus to French Quarter. I was shocked that it took so long. We were just exhausted and having to stand in a line all that time was tough.

We arrived this previous Saturday, November 6th and used DME at the airport. We arrived at about 6pm to the line. It said at least a 60 minute wait. We waited 1 hour and 20 minutes for a bus to French Quarter. I was shocked that it took so long. We were just exhausted and having to stand in a line all that time was tough.
Yikes. Doesn’t sound very “Magical” or “Express”. Sorry you had to put up with that. I’ll gladly pay the $50-55 for an Uber or Lyft XL that will have me on the road 5 minutes after I collect my luggage and go directly to my hotel. Much nicer start to a trip and that cost is a rounding error in the cost of a WDW trip.
I have to wrangle my own luggage but you have to do that with DME now anyway.

Wow. We are arriving at 3 PM early next week but now thinking about cancelling our DME and use private transportation instead. Have to pay $70 one way but might be worth it for my party of 6 and having a 1 year old. Not sure waiting around that long and then being on the bus for another hour or so is a good idea. Thanks.

Can't speak to super recent, but we were last there about a month ago. We landed around 12 (carry on only, so no bags to pick up) and it took until maybe 1:15 before we were on a bus - by far the longest we've ever waited for DME. We were also able to get on the next bus that arrived for our resort - based on some of the other lines we saw (I believe All Stars and Pop/AOA had a particularly long line), they definitely had 2 or 3 buses worth of people waiting, so I can only imagine how long that wait might have been. After dropping bags at out room and then having to wait for a bus, I think it was around 3 before we finally made it to MK. You should be fine with a 4 hour window, but like others have said, Homecomin' will be understanding if you give them a call directly and give them a heads up you'll be late.

What’s to prevent you getting onto the first bus and then using Uber/Lyft to hop to your actual resort? That has to be cheaper that an Uber/Lyft from MCO.

We landed just after 10 am on Sat 10/23, and the line to check in was pretty short (maybe 10 groups in front of us) and the lines for the buses were practically empty. We only had to wait because we needed a bus with a wheelchair lift - and that was only 20 min or so. I think we were at the resort just before noon.

We flew to WDW back in September, and I'd like to share our transportation experience and why we went the way we did. After the realization that there is no longer baggage handling included, as well as the trek with our own bags (we're grandparents with a 7 year old granddaughter) from baggage claim back up and over and down to DME check-in. .. we decided to go with Uber.
We had also heard about long wait times for the bus, then the multiple stops before reaching our resort. Anyway... baggage claim went quickly and we were out the door. As I was about to request our Uber, a very nice gentleman walked up and offered his car service (not pushy at all). He handed me his card and said he would be happy to match whatever Uber offered. He had a very nice Lexus SUV sitting right there, and Uber was going to be a few minutes wait. I accepted and we were off. The cost was $45 plus tip. So here's why we're glad we chose this way... Our plane landed at 10:00 am, and we were at the Boardwalk bus stop waiting for a bus to MK at 11:15 am (at arrival, bell services quickly took our luggage for storage until our rooms were ready). It was perfect.

Thanks for all of the info. We are going to go with private transportation to the resort from MCO. I don't want to chance it and lose out on a couple of hours. Mostly because we will have a 1 year old with us and we all know sitting in an airport for two hours with a baby at that age is never good. ha!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter