Recent Quick Trip - Thoughts & Observations

BrianL

Doom Buggy Driver
Hi, All. I just got back from a couple of days at WDW, this time with the parents in tow. They did pretty well, and were surprisingly more engaged than I expected. They were impressed with everything and even admitted that my getting them up so early was worth it. I actually may have created a couple of Disney Monsters as they seem to want to go back. Hey, it happens! So, just a few quick thoughts:

• The MNSSHP was definitely more crowded, though not all that bad. I was disappointed to not be able to even get near Haunted Mansion during the party. Adding all those photos and such just created lines everywhere in front of it. I used to like to just go up and listen to Carlotta or Renatta, but that wasn't happening.
  • I know what happens when the Headless Horseman's horse poops in the Magic Kingdom. The horse stopped for his pose right in front of us, and well, he took care of some business. Suddenly and instantly about 6 CMs showed up to eliminate the evidence, quite thoroughly I might add. They scrubbed the concrete and the crowd applauded.
  • I somehow got my Mom to ride everything, even the Rock'n Roller Coaster! She stopped screaming about half-way through and I thought she had passed out. She really enjoyed it.
  • In another Mom story, she was literally convinced that the track was torn up on Everest. I guess the illusion did it's job.
  • I surprised the parents with a Be Our Guest dinner. I had mad a point to mention that I just couldn't get a reservation. I had of course, so we went. The food was very good.
  • The walkway between Epcot & HS is now so much longer because of the construction! I was amazed as how far out of the way it takes you. Plus, as it passes the bus stops it gets crowded. It used to be a great, "secret" path, but it is not the best right now.
  • My parents really don't like Starbucks but did love the Joffrey's coffee. The stand in front of AK was not open for the EMH rope drop, but Pop has in-room coffee now, so everyone was okay. I had a wonderful apple-butter chai tea from the Jofferey's in Tommorowland! Man, was that good!
Overall, it was a great trip. Things for the most part worked out well, and CM service and cleanliness of the restrooms was on-point for sure. My mom did a lot of crying for some reason, even at Festival of the Lion King. I don't know, I guess she was just overwhelmed at being back after 24 years!

Last edited:
That's really sweet about your mom being overwhelmed (in a good way)!

Oh, she was. I made up a little card to surprise her with BOG, and man, did she ugly-cry! Beauty and the Beast is her favorite Disney movie so I knew she would love it in there. I kept mentioning how "impossible" it is to get a reservation there and how I wished we could eat there. She was very surprised. Anyway, she did a lot of that, and freaking out about the more intense rides. My step-dad recorded a ton of it too, so, well, they can relive the moments, ha ha!

How sweet.
I gotta admit, I'm right there with your mom at Lion King. I cry every time and I got 5, 6 times a year!

I agree about the walking path from Epcot to HS. Once we realized what we'd gotten ourselves into we regretted the decision to walk over from our room at YC. We used the boats from there on out.

I thought people were exaggerating about the walk from HS buses to the park entrance, but it is really pretty bad. We just got back yesterday and stayed at Pop, which appears to be the furthest one out, and I was crazy winded each way. Not sure what the end result is supposed to be but it sure makes me think about driving next time. It's a shame it effects the walk to Epcot. That was always a lovely stroll for us.

And I'm totally with your mom on Lion King. I cry EVERY SINGLE TIME! And I've seen it at least 15 times by now.

Glad everyone enjoyed their trip!

Sounds like a great trip! That's awesome that they went on all the rides and you got them BOG dinner reservations that is so hard to get, great score. Your mom is pretty brave riding the rock and roller coaster. I tricked my dad onto that ride, said it was really slow lol.

I thought people were exaggerating about the walk from HS buses to the park entrance, but it is really pretty bad. We just got back yesterday and stayed at Pop, which appears to be the furthest one out, and I was crazy winded each way. Not sure what the end result is supposed to be but it sure makes me think about driving next time. It's a shame it effects the walk to Epcot. That was always a lovely stroll for us.
I agree about the walking path from Epcot to HS. Once we realized what we'd gotten ourselves into we regretted the decision to walk over from our room at YC. We used the boats from there on out.
Funny thing, I timed it and it adds an entire 5 min (at a very slow walking pace) to the walk. An avg walker would do it in 3 min. So funny that folks impression is it's SOOOOOO much longer.

Funny thing, I timed it and it adds an entire 5 min (at a very slow walking pace) to the walk. An avg walker would do it in 3 min. So funny that folks impression is it's SOOOOOO much longer.

Well, I would've done it if it had just been me. I've walked the path three times in one day! Still, it really does add some distance and the crowding once you get to where the bus stops are is a bit out of hand.

Well...I'd never walked it before so I didn't have anything to base it on (felt it was long based on what I'd heard from others previously who'd walked it). It was also hot and our last park day so our feet were already tired so that plays into that.

*writes down* Apple-butter chai tea ....

Oh yes! That thing was great. It is actually the Caramel Apple Butter Chai Latte - Chai Tea Latte mixed with Caramel Apple Butter Syrup. It was 16 ounces, so my mom and I split it, but I wish I had my own! It was lightly sweet, with just the perfect flavor. We had hot, but it also comes in iced. It was fantastic.

Oh yes! That thing was great. It is actually the Caramel Apple Butter Chai Latte - Chai Tea Latte mixed with Caramel Apple Butter Syrup. It was 16 ounces, so my mom and I split it, but I wish I had my own! It was lightly sweet, with just the perfect flavor. We had hot, but it also comes in iced. It was fantastic.
If only they'd offer it at a stand where you can mix alcohol in it.....

Yeah but 5, or even 3 minutes in 90+ degree weather really makes a difference.

Yeah but 5, or even 3 minutes in 90+ degree weather really makes a difference.
OK. The time I recorded our walk times was August. It was not as horrifically bad as I had been led to believe when I first saw the reports here.
Not saying it's not hot, the walk from HS to the resorts has always been hot. What I am saying, it's not nearly as much further as folks indicate and waiting 20 min for a boat, or more since most boats were full and you very often had to wait for a 2nd one, was way worse. You'd be at the resort before the boat even arrived. And the boats are not air conditioned, or not well, so they aren't much cooler and take just as long as the walk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter