Recent stay at Pop Century, ECV rental, food allergies

dj2

all my little ducks in a row...
My DD7 and I just returned from our trip to WDW and had a great time. I thought that maybe some of these notes might help others who are planning a trip.

I tend to get wordy, so please forgive me....

Background:
I can walk a little and can drive a car. I use a rollator (a 4-wheeled walker with a seat) to stablize myself if I have to go more than 20 or 30 yards. I rented an ECV from Walker for the trip, and a car from National at the Orlando airport. I chose to drive to the parks instead of taking the busses. Nothing against the bus system, just a personal preference.

1. The ecv was waiting for me at Pop Century's luggage services just as I'd been told. It rode well and had enough speed. I could go as fast as DD7 could jog, which was fast enough for me. It turned tight corners very well--I think better than the 4-wheeled scooters that WDW rents. The one thing I didn't like was that the speed control was a second button. I would have preferred it if speed was controlled by the amount of squeezing. Then driving would be able to be a one-handed task. With these controls, I drove with my right hand squeezing the forward lever and my left hand on the speed dial. If I released the "forward" lever w/o first reducing speed to the slowest, the ECV came to a very sudden, jerky stop.

2. For an extra $10 for the whole rental (not per day), I also rented a battery charger so that I would not have to bring the scooter into the room at night to charge the batteries. The battery charger stayed in my room, and I only had to carry the two (heavy) batteries to the room each night. This was preferable to reassembling the scooter after arriving back at the hotel. I was able to fit both batteries onto the seat of my rollator, so it wasn't too hard to get them in and out of the room.

3. The instructions for assembling and disassebling the ecv were in the back pocket as promised. they were at times very clear, but not always complete. the first time I had to take it apart it took me almost 30 minutes and I am proud of myself for not panicking/crying. One of the first steps is to lift off the seat, but it just would not come off. And there were no details provided for HOW to lift off the seat. the pictures were blurry, too. I just kept tugging, and repositioning myself and eventually (thankfully) it came off.

4. The next few steps went well, but it took me a very long time to figure out how to fold down the tiller. To be honest, I wasn't really sure what the tiller was at first, but figured out it had to be the stick that the controls were mounted on. Afterall, that's what one would want to fold down to fit it into a car. I was in the parking lot outside the classic years building and after almost 10 minutes of moving everything I could think of I asked a man emptying trash cans for his help. Took him awhile, too, then he found an unmentioned lever which needed to be squeezed. Yay!

5. Disassembled, the pieces filled the back of the full-sized Buick Century I'd rented. The rollator had to ride in the back seat next to DD7. I know this isn't safe, but we did it anyway.

6. I also had a "crutch holder" on the back of the ecv. the intent was for me to take the rollator into the parks, too, but it didn't seem too stable, so I scrapped that idea. The holder came in useful, though, for our backpack. there was also a basket in front that held the camcorder bag, water bottles, and umbrellas.

7. The heavest part was the back wheels. For me, it was very heavy. After lifting it once, I decided to change our touring strategy and not park hop. In and out of the car once per day was doable, but enough.

8. I mentioned in another post that handicapped parking at Pop Century is very hard to come by. A spot was available at midday when we checked into the resort both at Classic Hall and "near" our room in 50's building "A," but never again after that. We stayed for 4 nights and always parked far. If I wasn't the driver it wouldn't have been too bad, I could have been let off. But it ended up being a long walk for me every morning and night.

9. Also a problem was that the "regular" spots aren't that wide. I had to pull halfway out in order to be able to get the rollator in and out of the back seat.

10. The room itself was clean and small. The seat in the shower was fine. The fridge for my meds was there. Accessible rooms, however, only come with one bed and DD7 wanted her own. Having slept with her in the past at other hotels and knowing how she kicks in her sleep, I wanted her to have her own, too. The CM at the special reservations number arranged for us to have a rollway in the room at no extra charge.

11. I had a small amount of trouble getting the roll-away, since Pop Century doesn't have roll-away beds. Eventually they found it in the reservation and told me it would be there. It wasn't when we got the the room to unload luggage, but we figured it would arrive later. At 10:30 p.m. when we returned, it still wasn't there. Front desk told me once again that they didn't have roll-aways, but about 20 minutes later one arrived. Of course, the room was way too small for it and given the fact that I don't walk very well, I'm glad to say that I bumped into it only a few dozen times and only fell down once or twice.

13. Of course, they charged me for the free roll-away. We had 2 continuing reservations because we didn't want passes for the first day, and the charge was on the bill for the first reservation (it wasn't for the second, so they say). I went to the front desk on Sunday morning and they could no longer take it off my first bill, but they gave me a credit for the same amount on the second bill. That's when I mentioned about how hard a time i was having finding parking and the CM told me the employees all agreed that the person who designed the parking was a "moron." I couldn't believe she actually said that, and I only repeat it here to show that parking must really be an annoying problem if a CM would use such a word.

12. Since I can take about 5-10 steps before it's obvious that I have trouble and I can stand still pretty well (as long as it's not for too long), I don't "look" like I'm disabled. I am happy to report that I did not get even one rude comment or rude look from anyone at anytime while I was using the ecv. Only lots of friendly smiles.

13. Before the trip I'd been worried about returning the car and then getting our luggage to where it needed to be checked in. No need. I drove straight to car rental return and there were porters waiting. We chose, however, to rent ($3) a luggage cart and push it ourselves. there was a huge line of carts right where the car got dropped off, so I just brought one over to the car and unloaded. Everything went very smoothly.

14. Almost forgot, there were instructions for recharging the ECV batteries in the back pocket of the ecv, but they did not match up with the kind of battery charger i'd paid extra for. the paper mentioned things like plugging into the scooter, etc. I didn't discover this until about 11:00 p.m., and there was no one answering Walker's phone at that time of night. Praying that I wouldn't start an electrical fire, I plugged things in using my best guess and left a voice-mail for Walker to call me back at the hotel the next day to explain the charger to me. no one from Walker ever returned my call (which surprised me), but since my best guesses kept me powered for the next day and no fire occured, i figured that i'd guessed right and just kept doing it for the following three nights.

15. On top of mobility issues, I have food allergies. We had 2 pre-arranged special meals planned. I'd spoken with chefs both at 1900 Park Fair and Cinderella's Royal Table. (This was after all, our trip to meet all the princesses, especially those we'd missed in June.) Every thing went smoothly at CRT (it was wonderful!), but not at 1900 PF.

Although the chef I'd spoken to weeks prior had assured me the turkey was just turkey with no other ingredients, the chef that came to my table when we sat down told me that it was marinated (with things I can't have). Then they found some other kind of turkey they had, but it wasn't just turkey either. Had been processed with extra ingredients--they brought me the label to read. They ended up cutting up an apple, bringing me some broccoli and asparagus and not charging me for the meal. It was very disappointing as we'd eaten there twice in June and thoroughly enjoyed it. What was most disappointing was that I thought I'd been very clear with the chef I'd spoken with before we'd left home. She seemed to understand what I was allergic to. Oh well.

We had THE BEST time. We were able to get center seats for Cirque on Thursday without purchasing them in advance. Crowds were non-existant at Epcot on Friday, and we practically had the whole character bus (15 characters!) to ourselves. By Saturday, MLK weekend crowds at MK were huge and it could have been summertime for all the people that were there. Sunday and Monday were busy, too, although the rain kept people away a bit on Sunday morning.

I've been reading these boards for the past 3 months getting ready for our trip and I want to thank everyone for all their help. I got SO MANY useful tips and advice and you are all just wonderful.

Take care,

DJ

Thanks for the info about Pop Century Dj2. We'll be going this Feb. with my friend Steve who has MD & uses a large power wheelchair with vent attached. We have requested 4 rooms on the first floor( there are 8 of us total) & are planning on requesting 50's Building A because we need to be close to the parking lot. Seems like parking is a problem @ Pop Century from all the posts that I have read. We have stayed @ All Star Sports several times with Steve & have always had decent parking because we requested the same rooms. Steve also needs to have a rollaway in his room for his night nurse (I'm his nurse @ home & my room always has a connecting door to his). Were you happy with the location of your room & if you were could you let me know the room #...did it have connecting doors to a room with 2 double beds? Sorry for all of the questions, but Steve has a lot of medical equipment so we'd like to be as close to his van as possible. Glad you guys had a great time!! Cathie & The Gang:wave2:

Thanks for the complete report.
Don't worry about being wordy, it was all good info (and I am the Queen of Long Posts, so i would never say someone had been too wordy).

Thank you for posting a trip report about your ecent WDW trip. I am glad you & your daughter had a pretty good trip (despite the hassle at 1910 & the rollaway).

Cathie,
There was a door connecting our room to another, but as it was never opened, I don't know if it was a room with 2 double beds or 1 king. We were on the first floor, parking lot side, on the wing of 50's building A that was farthest from the Classic Hall, closest to building B and parking.

It was probably the best location for us, given the other choices, but I wasn't happy about having to park so far at all. Walking, even with the rollator, is a big effort for me. I'd stay there again if I had DH with me to drop me off and go park, otherwise, I'd pick a different resort.

A note about the rollaway if you get one: we had to move the table and two chairs to make it fit (put them in front of the connecting door), and that only left about 8-10 inches or so between the rollaway and the king bed. That's why I kept tripping over it. It's going to be a tight squeeze for Steve, if not impossible, since it doesn't sound as if Steve has the ability to leave his wheelchair. However, his nurse is probably in a better position than I would have been to fold up the bed when not in use, making more space.

Hope you all have a great trip!

dj

Thank you dj for the info. I know what you mean about the rollaway...the nurse usually takes it down when he or she gets there & then folds it up for the day when we stay @ All Star Sports. We end up moving the table over by the vanity & Bathroom area to have more room (Steve's wheelchair has to be parked by the window to be charged @ night). The area that you stayed in @ Pop Century seems like it would work for us, but would you recommend staying farther away from building B...would the parking area be closer there? There are also 3 kids with us ages 16, 12, & 9...is it far to the pool & game room? Thanks for your help....hope you don't mind the questions!! Cathie & The Gang:wave2:

we didn't use the pools or the game room, but from the look of the map, the resort is pretty compact. (that's probably why parking is so far.)

i googled this resort map for you:

http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/popcmap.html

it's pretty complete and even shows the little turn-around for the resort "golf" carts that was near our room.

even though i tried to spell out the little unexpected things that came up on our vacation so that others could be forewarned, please realize that in perspective they were all minor inconveniences.

we had a TOTALLY AWESOME, GREAT time and I'm sure you will, too!

dj

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter