• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reclining your airplane seat with someone behind you: rude?

I don't think it's rude to recline your seat. What's wrong with someone relaxing during their flight. I do think it's rude to use your knee to stop the seat in front of you from reclining.

I don't think it's rude to recline your seat. What's wrong with someone relaxing during their flight. I do think it's rude to use your knee to stop the seat in front of you from reclining.

I completely agree with you. I also think it rude to aim your air at them, or use a misty mate and pretend you are sneezing.

I am long legged, Dee is very long legged (he is over 6') and we have yet to encounter a seat being reclined as a problem. We have, for the record, flown, SWA (the best for leg room IMHO), Delta (sort of cramped), AA airbus (we were in the exit row, no leg problems there), Air Jamaica (pretty nice leg room) big airbus.
Most of the time someone reclines, the seat does not come back more than 3" and since there appears to be approx. 1' between the back of the seat in front of me and my knees, I am not going to have a hissy fit over the loss of 3", if anything I like the tray table closer to me, I can then read (with my lineless bifocals) without holding the book. :)

I still wonder if the problem might be that we are somewhat crammed into a small space and any loss of that makes us feel more crammed even if it is minimal and of no effect to us.

Is the one person who now wants to read being rude if they insist (or do the knee jamming, very rude in my book) on using my reclining space so they can stay upright?

As long as you understand that sometimes those knee-jammers simply have nowhere else to put their knees.

I have no problem with someone reclining their seat IF there is space to do so. However, I do have a problem when I get on the plane and my knees are touching the back of the seat when it is upright and then they recline....hence giving the impression that I am jamming my knees into their back.

Hey, I am more than happy if someone reclines and there is still an inch between my knees and the seat. this is why I now fly AA transatlantic wherever possible.

Every flight I've been on the person in front of me has reclined the seat fully. They don't recline as much as the ones I read on this thread because I still have enough room. Then I recline my seat to give myself a bit of extra room. I think it should be a domino effect. The seats don't recline so much that I can't eat a meal or read while I am reclined. I also don't think it rude for the person in front of me to recline. I would also never raise or lower my seat if the person behind me had food or drink on the tray. That could be messy like a post I read above. (BTW That sneezing trick was great!!!) The annoying passengers, in MHO are the ones who constantly kick the backs of the seats (mostly restless children).

I am 6' 2" and my knees touch the seat in front of me when the seats are in an upright position on Delta flights. When someone
moves the seat backward, believe me it hurts@#$%^.

What right does anyone have to hurt people with long legs????

Why can't people be considerate of our needed space???

Let me punch you in the kneecap and then we'll see how many people think it's just fine!!

Also, if anyone has had knee surgery , etc. , shots to the knee, kneecap, etc will always hurt for a lifetime.

Who cares though, it's your space too.

As the great philosopher Rodney King said......why can't we just all get along????? :D

My husband is 6'1" and when he read all the posts about people complaining about the "recliners" he just laughed. He doesn't mind when people recline their seats because they're entitled to do that if they so desire. What gets him is the kids who sit behind who constantly kick his seat. We have a three yr. old and make sure that he watches what he does with his legs, as we don't want to be rude to the people in front of us. But I guess since we recline our seats, we're rude to the people behind us aren't we? Oh well, can't win them all! ;)

While it may be true that we're "entitled" to recline our seats if we desire to, I personally believe that it's more important to consider others around me. While it may not bother you for someone to recline in front of you, just as many others may be very inconvenienced or uncomfortable:( .

So...I'll continue to remain upright in my seat, and hope that those in front of me do the same :D .

I always recline my seat and I never ask the person behind me. It never even occured to me to ask. I'v never had the person in front of me ask either. I wouldn't expect the person in front of me to sit straight up in their seat for a whole flight, and I hope the person behind me wouldn't expect me to. Usually, if I'm on a plane I'm trying to take a nap, and you can't nap sitting straight up in those seats. Sorry, but I guess I should just apologize in advance, because if you are in the seat behind me I will be reclining. The up-side is that if you sit in front of me, you are totally welcome to recline too. Sure, it does make it a little more crowded, but that's they way it is when you travel by air. Maybe all of you guys complaining about how rude the reclining people are should think about how rude you are to expect the person in front of you to sit uncomfortably and not recline. I've been on tons of flights ranging from less than an hour to 18 hour over-seas flights. They person in front of me always reclines their seat (as I would expect them to) and I have never had any trouble using the tray to eat, use my laptop, etc. My husband is almost 6ft tall and he never complanins when the person in front of him reclines. Sure, it makes less room for him, but he would never expect the person in front of him to be uncomfortable for the whole flight just because they happen to be sitting in front of a tall guy. Yeah, it's cramped - but it's an airplane! Everybody knows going in that they aren't going to have much room. :)

I think it all has to do with the degree of recline. Most of the newer aircraft seats are built with the knowledge of the amount of pitch (distance between seats) that most airlines have in coach nowadays. The recline on most newer planes (with newer seats) is more restricted and is probably only a few degrees.

However, on older MD80s, 727s, etc., those seats seem to have a larger amount of recline. I think it is only polite to keep your seat a little more upright during meal services and perhaps during times when most people don't usually sleep. On red eye flights, as long as you aren't crushing someone's legs, when everyone tends to sleep, recline away.

Remember, it may be your 'right' to recline your seat back at any time and in any fashion all the way into the person's lap behind you. But you need to remember the person behind you has the 'right' to sneeze or cough on you, 'accidentally' push their knees into the seat or any other number of things that may be within their 'rights' but may not necessarily be polite. Politeness is a two way street. Too bad a lot of people want it to be one way.

Posted early on in this discussion, reclining an airline seat onto the person behind you is rude in MY opinion. Doesn't make me right or wrong, just MY opinion.

For those that are hellbent on reclining your seat, as long as I stay seated behind you for the entire flight...won't be happening on most of the flight/seating arrangements that I have encountered if I happen to be sitting behind you. I place my feet on the floor in MY seating area and when I do this my legs/knees that are attached and therefore non-removal rest up against the seat in front of me. I don't push the seat or gouge the back of the seat in front of me, that is someone else's "rental" for the flight. But when the person in front attempts to recline the seat it doesn't move. And it doesn't hurt my knees. I am not being rude, I am just occupying the space the airline provided me to sit in while they transport us all to our destinations.

I usually look in back of me, smile a bit, see how big the person is, perhaps chat if they're friendly, and then recline. I try to be polite and raise my seat during meals and other times.
However, I agree that people mostly understand that it's a plane and if they want to be comfortable as possible, pay triple the price and go business or first class.
Also, sometimes overseas flights aren't full. I usually take a peek down the aisles and ask the flight attendant before we take off if I can change seats as soon as we get up in the air. If I'm lucky I can grab two middle seats and I pick the one which doesn't have someone behind me so I can recline. You're not chained to your chair. You can move. Just be quick and courteous. Do not try to snag a whole row or someone else's "spare seat".
My pet peeve, since I'm only about 5 feet, is when big people sit next to me or when some stranger starts to lean on me to sleep. And for the hefty people out there? I'm sorry, but sometimes being stuck by some plump people, they like to take my space because I'm tiny. I know you need more space but please don't take mine.
Lastly, children that cry. I just can't stand the ones that shriek. I scope out the amount of children boarding the plane. I will ask to move if I get seated next to a child who seems to be a shrieker. The kids that ask lots of questions and want to share their coloring books I don't mind. They're really cute. But the shriekers? Please, parents, tire them out and get them to sleep the whole flight.
I consider these situations much worse than a freckled balding man . If he's really obnoxious at least you can play connect the dots. Preferably with that extra bold sharpie you brought along for autographs.
Long legged people, go for the aisles, windows, bulkhead (first ones in a cabin), and emergency exits. If you pick the aisle you can usually encroach into the walkway just a bit. If you get seated near the bathroom, avoid the aisle. People will forever be jostling you or passing gas near you. No kidding, my friend got farted on.
United Economy Plus, the first few aisles of coach on some United flights, include extra leg room. I hear this is very popular with business people. You must have a certain standard coach fare then you use your united mileage membership to get a plus seat.

"If you get seated near the bathroom, avoid the aisle. People will forever be jostling you or passing gas near you. No kidding, my friend got farted on."

Oh my god - - that's too funny!

sgtdisney, I think you are on to something with the theory that the amount of recline is related to the age of the aircraft. Lately we have been travelling mostly on ATA, which almost always flies their brand new 757s from Chicago to Orlando. When I recline to take a nap, I've noticed that it doesn't seem to go too far back (although I usually don't go for the max anyway, just enough to sleep in comfort). I don't know about American, the other airline we usually use...they have the extra legroom so reclining space (or lack thereof) is harder to notice.
On our last trip, we were seated in the exit row and the people in front of us were going totally insane trying to get their seats to recline. They were in non-reclining seats, which is often the case when you are sitting in front of an exit row. They had boarded at the very last minute and grabbed those seats without thinking (I think they might have been flying stand-by). Then they spent the rest of the flight bouncing back and forth like weebles trying to get the seats to go back! I don't think they ever figured it out.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Then they spent the rest of the flight bouncing back and forth like weebles trying to get the seats to go back! I don't think they ever figured it out.

ROTFLMAO, I wonder if the lack of a button on the armrest meant anything to them. LOL
Why didn't you tell them they did not recline? Not sure I would have, I would have been too amused.

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
ROTFLMAO, I wonder if the lack of a button on the armrest meant anything to them. LOL
Why didn't you tell them they did not recline? Not sure I would have, I would have been too amused.

Hee hee hee, you are wicked like me! I thought about telling them, but then I decided to see how long it would be before they asked a flight attendant (making little bets with yourself helps the time to pass more quickly). I really thought they'd ask, but they never did...just kept trying every now and then, probably hoping that the pilot would throw the "Your seats will recline now" button.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Originally posted by freecia
Lastly, children that cry. I just can't stand the ones that shriek. [text removed] Please, parents, tire them out and get them to sleep the whole flight
If you can find a way to do this, short of drugging the kids, please let me know! Making sure you have tired kids is not the answer! Have you ever heard of "overtired"? Many of the "shriekers" are exhausted children who just can't fall asleep, for whatever reason.

Believe me, the parents want their kids to sleep as much as you do. It's just not always that simple, so please try to be a little sympathetic. :)

Great thread!!

I agree with several people in that it all has to do with the degree of the seat.

I never gave it too much thought, and automatically inclined every time I flew until on a flight to Vegas, the man in front of me reclined, and was literally in my lap, drunk and sound asleep. I was pinned to my chair the entire flight, there was no way I could get out. But that was a charter flight, and I have never seen such small close seats.

Now, I always turn around, check to see who is behind me before reclining. Now, I find I would rather go with a kink in my neck before terribly inconviencing the person behind me. If it just an inch or two, then I will do it, but if goes more than that, I don't.

In regards to the kids shrieking, I feel so bad for them, and their parents. You just know that their ears hurt and nothing is helping. But for the kids who walk their feet up the chair in front of them, or pound on their tray tables, that is a different matter. My kids tried to do that the first time they were on a plane, and we put an immediate stop to it, just by diverting their attention. It is obvious to me, that if this stuff goes on too long, then the parents are not paying attention, at which point, I make it obvious by turning around and looking at the child. I usually don't have to say a word, lol.

Originally posted by Gillian
If you can find a way to do this, short of drugging the kids, please let me know! Making sure you have tired kids is not the answer! Have you ever heard of "overtired"? Many of the "shriekers" are exhausted children who just can't fall asleep, for whatever reason.

Believe me, the parents want their kids to sleep as much as you do. It's just not always that simple, so please try to be a little sympathetic. :)

Gillian- I feel a lot of sympathy for those parents. They must be at their wits end, especially sitting next to the crying child. On my last overnight flight, there were three children, about 1, 3, and 5, with ONE POOR MOTHER. They were shrieking and she tried to stop them. I think she was outmatched ;) It got to the point that you could hear shrieking, a sharp sound, and about 3 minutes of quiet. She must have been going insane. I really felt for her.
Hence, I just try to sit further away. I know the child isn't trying to be difficult, the parents aren't bad parents, it's just "one of those things that happen".

Perhaps people can give suggestions about what to do when flying with children?
I hear some kids don't like the change in air pressure and that makes them cry. A hot paper towel stuffed inside a cup and held over the ear helps. Ear-planes, a special type of earplug, may help. Those who are prone to motion sickness should get some of those motion sickness bands. Some children are afraid of flying. I don't what to do about that. When I was a child I always thought flying made me taller (see the 5 feet tall reference... desperate to get taller) so I always loved flying. Bulkhead seats with the extra room might be good if your child likes more room. Sometimes there is enough room for the kid to play in your bulkhead leg room.:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter