Recommendations for first time WDW visit from my trusted DL fans?

MonocularVision

One-Eyed American
Wait, why a request for WDW help in the Disneyland board? As some may know, me and the fam are very regular DL vacationers but we are making our very first trip to WDW in January for 5 days.

I have asked for some help in the DW forums, but I know plenty of my DL people here are also folks that have been to WDW. Any recommendations you have for a first time visitor? Here are some things I am looking for:

• Dining recommendations. Figure we might try a table service, ADR meal at each park. Current plan is to do MK twice. Anything you really recommend? We have a pre-teen/young teen daughters that are mildly picky and a couple older sons that are more adventurous. Beyond table service: any QS you recommend? And I guess mobile ordering is the way to go?
  • Recommendations on park order? Again, plan is 5 days, one park per day. Friday-Tuesday.
  • Attractions and shows not to miss? We will probably focus on the things not at DL but there are some things we are excited to try for the differences like HM.
  • Strategies around G+ that might be different?
  • Any other knowledge you think a DL fanatic should know?
We are staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort if that matters. Thanks for any help!

We went to WDW back in 2016. Here are a couple of things we learned that we wish we knew before we went:

• No matter how much time you think it will take to get from one place to another, it will probably take longer. WDW is huge and taking the Disney buses can be quite time-consuming.
  • No matter how much money you think the trip will cost, it will probably cost more. There are lots of enticing ways to spend money at WDW and, if you're not careful, things quickly add up.
WDW is very impressive and we're very glad we went. (The Kilimanjaro Safaris at DAK is amazing.)

Have fun!

Last edited:
We stayed at CBR in Jan 2021! It was also our first trip.

• Dining recommendations. Figure we might try a table service, ADR meal at each park. Current plan is to do MK twice. Anything you really recommend? We have a pre-teen/young teen daughters that are mildly picky and a couple older sons that are more adventurous. Beyond table service: any QS you recommend? And I guess mobile ordering is the way to go?
Our family really enjoyed our table service meals. We all loved Liberty Tree Tavern (MK), and since it's all you care to enjoy served family style, everyone can fill up on the things they like. They were super accommodating too - I can't have sugar, so they gave me a bowl of no sugar added fruit sorbet for dessert, and my dad is picky and didn't want the toffee cake, so they gave him a bowl of vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup.

We also LOVED 50s Prime Time Cafe (Hollywood Studios), but you have to be into the schtick in order for it to be enjoyable. The atmosphere was fun (we were there with my parents, who were kids in the 50s, so it was nostalgic for them) and my meatloaf was fantastic and Mom's fried chicken were fantastic. The other 4 in our party had Caesar salads which they said were mediocre at best, but the experience was so great that all of us rate it as one of our top thing we did there.

But our favorite meal for the food? Topolino's Terrace character breakfast. SO GOOD.

• Recommendations on park order? Again, plan is 5 days, one park per day. Friday-Tuesday.
No real idea. We did MK first, because we figured it's where you have to start, but DHS was probably my favorite. We went to Epcot a lot because there's a lot to explore there with all the countries. AK was great, but getting to AK and MK from CBR are more difficult. Buses are frustrating, but the skyliner...the skyliner wins every time.

And don't believe the people who say a park hopper isn't worth it at WDW. It's totally worth it, especially staying at CBR since you have easy access to 2 parks. H and I tested to see if we could do fireworks at MK and Harmonious at Epcot on the same night and we totally could have (we ended up going to Beaches and Cream instead)

• Attractions and shows not to miss? We will probably focus on the things not at DL but there are some things we are excited to try for the differences like HM.
The Indiana Jones show at Hollywood Studios was fantastic. We also really liked the Muppet 3D Show there, which has a similar vibe to the Mickey 3D movie in DCA but was also totally different and fun. We heard great things about the Lion King show at AK but we didn't get to see it. The bird show at AK was really cool though! And of course, MK still has Country Bear Jamboree, which I miss from when I was a kid. OH!! And Monster's Laugh Floor. We almost didn't get to go and I'm so glad we made it work.

That said, Flight of Passage at AK is hands down my absolute favorite ride in all of WDW. It's incredible. Pay for the LL if you have to, just make sure you do the ride.

It's been a year, so my thoughts are probably old and outdated by now. Just remember that you can start booking at 7 am, no need to be in a park yet.
Get the popcorn bucket on day one. The refills are $2-3, and you can refill anywhere - including with the maple popcorn at the Canada pavilion in Epcot. More than once I rode the skyliner there just to get a refill of that popcorn. I came home with 3 refills of it!

For food at the resort, we really liked the jerk chicken bowl at CBR. It was good, reasonably priced and filling. But remember you can get quick service anywhere, so mobile ordering from the Riviera then taking the skyliner is easy and fast, and gives you another option for food. My parents did this a lot because my dad didn't love the food options at CBR.

I haven't done much table service at the parks except Epcot, which has wonderful options in the World Showcase area, such as the Morocco pavilion. There are many excellent sit-down restaurants at the deluxe hotels, which are often just a short monorail trip/boat ride/walk from a park.

I haven't been to WDW since World of Avatar opened so I can't comment on the rides in that section, but in DAK I love Expedition Everest. And of course you must do Kilimanjaro Safaris, but be sure to do both the African and Asian walking trails, too.

How about also a list of things to miss? :-) Don't bother with Pirates unless you're really bored. You'll get on the boat and then the boat will be pulling back into the unloading area and you'll go, "Wait, is that it???"

I also enjoy just taking the various transportation options. The monorail is obvious, but also try the peaceful and lovely boat ride between Disney Springs and Port Orleans Riverside if you have time.

Yay, how exciting! I am just back (as in landed Saturday morning) from a 5-day WDW trip with my sister, so these recommendations will be fresh. ;)

Unlike others, I would actually caution you that 2 days at MK will be too much. Why? Because everything MK has that DL has is better at DL. ;) Truly, I would focus on the things that are different at MK: Haunted Mansion, Seven Dwarfes. I would suggest you do 2 days starting in Epcot so you have more changes at the Guardians Cosmic Rewind because (don't watch any spoilers, the surprise is worth it) - IT IS AMAZING! We rode it 3 times (2 with VQ and 1 paid ILL). I would have done it 3 more times if I could have.

As others have said, the time it takes to get to one place to another can not be overemphasized. Plan at least 90 minutes from leaving your hotel to arriving just about anywhere. At Caribbean Beach you have the Skyliner which is *awesome* to get to Epcot and Hollywood Studios - I never want to see a WDW bus ever again - we even took the resort boat to the Grand Floridian to catch an Uber back from MK. Highly recommend (plus you get to check out their amazing lobby).

Here are my recs for food and rides in each park for ya.The rides are what I would prioritize for Genie+. Feel free to ask anything specific and I'll do my best to answer. This is my 5th WDW trip in the last 6 years for reference.

MK - again, one day is plenty for repeat DL visitors
must do rides: Haunted Mansion, Seven Dwarves + Country Bear for nostalgia
table service: Be Our Guest (we set at alert and got this a week before, it really is worth the splurge if you are a Beauty and the Beast fan. Ask to sit in the West Wing) or Jungle Skipper Canteen
QS: Sleepy Hollow Waffles, corn dog nuggets at Casey's Corner for a nod to DL corn dogs and cinnamon buns at Gastons. If you want to stir up trouble try the Orange Swirl at Sunshine Tree Terrace in lieu of a Dole Whip and take a side (me: team Dole Whip)

Epcot - 2 days and you still won't see all of it. It is *huge* (I believe the entire DL resort fits in one portion or something). 2 sections so 2 separate parks in a way
rides: Guardians!!!!!!!, Remy, Frozen
TS: Space 220 (*set an alert and if you only have one meal make it this one. Food, service and experience was AMAZING), lots of great options in World Showcase so think of a cuisine you might want and do that. We ate at the Creperie and it was awesome
QS: basically anything in World Showcase

Animal Kingdom - suggestion, have this be a sleep in day. I find AK to be a 1/2 day park
rides: Avatar Flight of Passage, Everest, Kilimanjaro Safari (if you don't have a good zoo near you. we are in san diego so I skip this one)
TS: Go to the Animal Kingdom Lodge and eat at Sanaa. This is a nice way to start as well - uber to the lodge then take their bus to AK
QS: Eat in Pandora, its QS but so good. I would do this over any TS in the park

Hollywood Studios - disclaimer: we skipped Galaxy's Edge to focus on the things not at DL
rides: Rock-n-Roller Coaster, Slinky Dog (you will need to try for Slinky LL at 7am, it is the first to go), ToT (even though our Guardians is better, its fun to see the original) Mickey and Minnies Railway is absolutely adorb but is coming to DL in January. Can't wait to ride it again!
TS: Sci-Fi Diner or 50s Prime Time.
QS: I don't find much QS I enjoy here cause the TS restaurants are so unique

As for order, I think it is fun to start with something new. If you are doing a park on your arrival day I'd suggest Animal Kingdom because again I feel its a half day park. Remember you can book your LL at 7am ET no matter where in the world you are - even from the plane. You don't have to enter to book them so if this is the case you can chose an afternoon return time. Personally I would do: AK, Epcot (on a day you are fresh and excited), MK (in case you need a later start on day 3 you have done most of the rides at DL and can enjoy the ambiance), HS, Epcot to end.

One more thing I think is very important: mid day break. We averaged 20,000 steps a day even taking a 3-4 hr break each day. The entire WDW resort is twice the size of Manhattan. Your legs will thank you.

EDIT: If you still really want 2 MK days I would start and end with MK. So: MK, Epcot, AK (sleep in), HS, MK. That way if you realize the error of your ways you can change your last day park reservation to Epcot and ride Guardians again. Can you tell I loved it! ;)

Last edited:
As far as which park to pick each day I would highly recommend going on a website like touringplans and check out their crowd calendar. They predict which parks are the best ones to go on and which days to go. It is a big help.
On restaurants wow that is tough because there are so many opinions out there. I agree about 50's Prime Time. So fun. I would also recommend Sci Fi Dine In, Whispering Canyon, Liberty Tree Tavern and you can't go wrong with just about any restaurant in Epcot. Make sure you check out the menus on the Disney website. Actually it's one thing we love to do together before we make our reservations.
Make sure not to miss the People Mover and Carousel of Progress in MK. Even if DL has the same ride do it anyway because it will be different.
Make sure to check out the other resorts. Visit the Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Lodge. Grand Floridian and the Poly if possible. When you are at Epcot take a walk over to the Boardwalk, Beach and Yacht Club and maybe pick up a reservation for Beaches and Cream and get the kitchen sink.

I agree with much that has been written. There is probably still the most to do at MK so that may be your best bet for a repeat park, but as a DL regular I would either do two days at Epcot or AK. We loved AK and it was my favorite park in WDW.

Both 50’s Prime Time and Sci Fi were both super fun experiences at HS. We preferred the food and ambiance of Sci Fi.

Have an awesome trip!

I agree with much of the above posts. I will say that we always start and end with Magic Kingdom. We always buy hoppers. It really opens up your dining possibilities. Epcot has the most choices for good adrs. Epcot is hot (we usually go in February)!! Lots of sun and cement. We've started hopping to Epcot in the evening for dinner and rides to beat the heat. Steakhouse 71 in the contemporary was very good and is just a monorail stop away from the magic kingdom. For G+ tips watch Molly's videos from mammoth club (and previously all ears), she's got it down to a science.

I agree with much of the above posts. I will say that we always start and end with Magic Kingdom. We always buy hoppers. It really opens up your dining possibilities. Epcot has the most choices for good adrs. Epcot is hot (we usually go in February)!! Lots of sun and cement. We've started hopping to Epcot in the evening for dinner and rides to beat the heat. Steakhouse 71 in the contemporary was very good and is just a monorail stop away from the magic kingdom. For G+ tips watch Molly's videos from mammoth club (and previously all ears), she's got it down to a science.
Steakhouse 71 is so good! We loved it there. The food was great and not as expensive as other on property steak houses.

We did WDW in June, 2021. It was pre-DAS for me, and before they started any type of FP system back up.

Over and over and over again, I thought, "Why the heck did they move my park around?!?"

Things we loved:

The safari at AK was AMAZING! Totally wish we could have done it more than once! Do it in the morning when the animals are more active.

Hubs loved Everest. I enjoyed it, as did our 17yo.

I loved seeing the different countries around EPCOT.

We did Be Our Guest one evening. Beauty and the Beast has been our favorite movie since it came out, so it was amazing to be in the ballroom!

Some disappointments:

I'd heard about how amazing the queues were; lots of interactive features to play the time away. Maybe they hadn't come back since we were still in the pandemic? I felt like I didn't see anything like that. I *adore* its a small world, and that one felt so dang lackluster from the outside... like a shrunken plywood version of DLR's. Completely underwhelming in my opinion, which was sad for my favorite ride and exterior at DLR. Many of the other queues just didn't feel inviting.

I'd heard to expect a 15-20 minute afternoon rain. We came prepared with ponchos. Each day we were there, it rained over an hour, once about 3 hours. It's hard to duck into shops for an hour when everyone else is doing the same thing! It meant we looked like drowned rats at BoG, they closed Blizzard Beach an hour early, our shoes (even with bringing an extra pair each day) never fully dried out from one day to the next. You get the idea. Seriously, this was the most frustrating part of the trip, as we felt like it interrupted so much of our time. It also kept us from getting to do Test Track, which was high on our list to do (attempted it at 11:30am figuring people might be heading to lunch, rain started at 11:40am, and didn't let up until nearly 4pm, and then continued back and forth all evening, so TT never reopened. Again, I knew to expect rain, but was under the impression that it wouldn't last hours upon hours in late June.

We kept hearing about the Disney Bubble and how impressive it was. It could be that we were staying at All Star Movies. We had to get on a bus to go to each park and then went over surface streets. It seemed to take forever (seriously 30+ minutes). Of course, we were at the cheapest hotel that was open, so your experience with transportation will be much better with where you are staying!

Hubs says it felt dirtier. I agree-- candy wrappers on the ground in the bushes and landscaping. Didn't see janitorial staff anywhere other than Main Street. He felt like the CMs were less exuberant, but of course this can vary CM to CM.

BoG was our only sit-down because we really wanted to really see all the parks that we could.

With all this complaining, I've told Hubs I still want to go back at a different time of year to see if we have a different experience. Clearly, people love WDW, so I'd love to understand what brings them back year after year.

Over and over and over again, I thought, "Why the heck did they move my park around?!?"
YES! OMG, so many times. We went looking for HM and were so confused on why we could see the line but not the house 😂 It definitely is creepier than the DL HM from the outside, that's for sure.

I also agree with much of the above...

In MK, I love doing PeopleMover, Country Bear, and Carousel of Progress for the nostalgia factor.

In EPCOT, Club Cool is fun to check out -- you can sample Coca Cola products from around the world.

+1 for maybe just spending one day at MK. A second day at EPCOT gives you another VQ opportunity at Cosmic Rewind. A second day at AK gives you another opportunity for Flight of Passage (and Everest.)

I found this website useful to get an idea of which LLs to book first: https://www.genieplushelper.com/

Since you're at Caribbean Beach, I'll also say that based on the thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/only-1-refill-of-bread-allowed-at-sebastains-now.3890577/, I've added Sebastian's to my next trip list so I can try some of these popular -- but apparently very slippery -- rolls :-)

Over and over and over again, I thought, "Why the heck did they move my park around?!I
LOL as someone who goes to WDW more this is what I thought when I went to DL lol
We kept hearing about the Disney Bubble and how impressive it was. It could be that we were staying at All Star Movies. We had to get on a bus to go to each park and then went over surface streets. It seemed to take forever (seriously 30+ minutes). Of course, we were at the cheapest hotel that was open, so your experience with transportation will be much better with where you are staying!
Probably does make somewhat of a difference depending on what resort you stay at but for me even if you are on surface streets you are on Disney surface streets. You aren't seeing other hotels, restaurants, mini markets etc like you would see anywhere else that isn't Disney property.
BoG was our only sit-down because we really wanted to really see all the parks that we could.
Clearly, people love WDW, so I'd love to understand what brings them back year after year.
I would highly recommend trying other restaurants next time. We look at the restaurants as part of the parks experience. It's one of our favorite things to do.
As far as It's a Small World as you experienced it rains more in Florida so they had to put a covered queue so sadly it isn't as impressive as in DL. You just gotta go with the flow when it rains and not let it ruin your day when you are there.
We go back to WDW over DL because first of all Epcot. We just love it there so much. The festivals there are amazing. Also Animal Kingdom. Also like you touched on before the Disney Bubble. We just don't have that same feeling in DL. As soon as you leave the park there is other non Disney places and you are back into reality. I also have to sadly say that I just don't have the same feeling walking down Main Street DL as I do at WDW. Some of it I'm sure is just the fact that I consider it my home park but also it's the castle. As cute as DL's castle is it just isn't as awe inspiring as Cinderella Castle. The other thing I like at MK is that you have fireworks every day. The big thing is when I go to DL I try to not compare the 2 parks and try to appreciate the differences because there are really good differences at both parks.

Last edited:
I don’t think park order matters at all.

At Hollywood Studios, go on Tower of Terror. The Indiana Jones stunt show is really good. Their Fantasmic is different too, and I like the seating. As someone else mentioned above, I love the 50’s restaurant. I haven’t had much luck with the food at the Sci-Fi diner, but the atmosphere is fun.

I like the Pandora fast food restaurant; Definitely do Flight of Passage. The Lion King show is fabulous. Go on Expedition Everest and the Safari. Dinosaur is OK. I was surprised how muck we liked Yak and Yeti for sit down.

Epcot is fun. I want to try the Space restaurant. Biergarten is fun and a buffet. The quick service restaurants are all pretty good. I haven’t been on Guardians or Ratatouille. Test Track is fun. The pavilions are fun, but my favorites are Mexico and Morocco. My kids liked Japan a lot, they found the shops there fun.

I am not a fan of the food at MK. Skipper’s Cantten is good, but might be too adventurous. My daughter is picky but found something she liked there. As another poster commented, you can skip Pirates. Do Haunted Mansion as it is different. Small World is also not as good, it is missing all the fun Disney Characters.

I find park hopping a waste of time. We stay at AKL which is out of the way. I find other than Epcot/HS it takes too much time to park hop (at least 30 minutes). Also with the 2PM park hopping rule, I wouldn’t bother.

I know a lot of people think it is overrated; however, I like O’hana a lot. I think one of my favorite restaurants was Homecomin’ at Disney Springs.

I find park hopping a waste of time. We stay at AKL which is out of the way. I find other than Epcot/HS it takes too much time to park hop (at least 30 minutes). Also with the 2PM park hopping rule, I wouldn’t bother.
Agreed, especially for first time guests. Repeat guests who know they want to head back to Epcot for dinner or whatnot, for sure. But first visit, no. We actually did have hoppers last week because of the Halloween and said next time we wouldn’t do it because it forces you to have the “all or nothing” approach and try and accomplish everything. Which we know is impossible! lol

Definitely the hotels that have monorail or boat transportation make the WDW "bubble" effect stronger. However, I've stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge a couple of times, which only has bus transportation, and I very much felt in the WDW bubble there. Probably because it's a deluxe hotel and also has a unique atmosphere that lets you know you definitely aren't on Harbor Blvd. back in Anaheim. :-)

I don't think any of the value hotels have boat transportation, and only a few of the moderates. And the monorail only goes to deluxes. So yeah, to really experience the full WDW bubble rather than everyday bus transportation (as nice as the WDW buses are), visitors need to spring for a pricier hotel. :sad1:

Did not read the other replies...
- WDW is its own mini city and feels like it. You will be taking buses everywhere and you are usually looking at 10-20 minutes each time.
- DO NOT think that all attractions are the same. Almost all of the same named attractions have something different about them. Things like Soarin, Rise, Star Tours are the same
- Arriving for Early Entry is not nearly as important since you can start booking LLs and ILLs at 7am. I would say HS is most important to be there early, MK somewhat, no need for Epcot or AK.
- Checkout the Water Parks (Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon and Disney Springs if you have the time. Maybe leave Early Entry after a few hours to a water park.

Dining Recommendations
MK: Skipper Canteen
HS: Sci Fi Diner (okay food great atmosphere), Prime Time Cafe (better food and even better atmosphere if you ask for a kitchen table)
Epcot: Most options are good to great. I like the German Biergarten, just fun.
AK: Satuli Canteen, Yak and Yeti

Last edited:
Wait, why a request for WDW help in the Disneyland board? As some may know, me and the fam are very regular DL vacationers but we are making our very first trip to WDW in January for 5 days.

I have asked for some help in the DW forums, but I know plenty of my DL people here are also folks that have been to WDW. Any recommendations you have for a first time visitor? Here are some things I am looking for:

We are staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort if that matters. Thanks for any help!
We love themey unique meals, so these were the ones we found interesting...
sci-fi dine in at HS
50s prime time at HS
Be Our Guest at MK
The Plaza at MK (not to be confused with DLR's Plaza Inn, not themey, but we really liked the food and ice cream)
Cosmic Ray's at MK (this is more of a car crash spectacle that you can't look away from, very campy and weird, but my family thinks it's disturbingly entertaining)
Biergarten at EP
Satuli canteen in AK
yak and yeti QS in AK

For order, I always plan around the crowds and early entry using the crowd charts. AK is our favorite park and 2 days for us because of so many unique rides and shows. MK we're fine with only 1 day. The last time we went it was still FP+. There are less rides per park so the standby lines for those limited rides were longer than we're used to in DLR. We ran out of things to do sometimes or would just hang out waiting for our next show or ride time. At the time, we often couldn't get another FP because they were already all booked.

We've seen all the shows there. We like all the fireworks, all parades, EP's and AK's shows on the water, Beauty & the Beast, Festival of the Lion King, and Finding Nemo best. Indiana Jones was boring to us (maybe because we were so hot that day and rather be riding the Indy ride in DLR?!). And Fantasmic! is laughable and subpar to DLR's. Though the story is slightly different, so it was interesting to see the difference. We saw it once during our long 2 week trip in 2016 and skipped it in 2020.

We generally do all the rides, but space, splash, and big thunder are generally the same. Haunted mansion has a few differences that might be interesting (like the queue outside). Pirates is kinda sad without the opening scene next to Blue Bayou and is significantly shorter as a result.

Other tips...there is so much more walking, so prepare! We went in January and it was great weather, but we got a bit chilly at night and needed a light jacket (we're from AZ though).

Fantasmic! is laughable and subpar to DLR's. Though the story is slightly different, so it was interesting to see the difference. We saw it once during our long 2 week trip in 2016 and skipped it in 2020.
LOL, don't get me started about Fantasmic at WDW! Whenever I see the opposite question ("We're WDW regulars; what should we not miss at Disneyland?"), I urge them to see Fantasmic but I try not to give away why—namely, the surprise entrance of the Columbia and the delightful appearance of the Mark Twain at the end. All they have in Florida are dinky little rafts!

Hands down my favorite restaurant at WDW is Boma at AKL. It is out of the way if you are not staying at AKL but so worth it. Bobotie - mmmm. I'd consider making a late reservation after a day at AK (and I personally would cut short my day if I had to just to go to Boma). Skipper Canteen in MK is fun (especially if you have fond memories of The Adventurers Club) and different and the CMs are playful in a Jungle Cruise way. Prime Time in HS depends so much on your server and our server post-Covid wasn't into the shtick (I'm sure he wanted to be somewhere else and was probably supposed to be and this was a staffing thing so hopefully we are past that). I guess The Brown Derby is only for us old people as I see no one mentioned it, but we have always liked it (we get the Fantasmic! package). And for atmosphere you can't beat Be Our Guest and Cinderella's Royal Table, again in MK (though I imagine your boys would not be in favor of a princess meet and greet lol but we love that there is a restaurant in the castle!). But both are expensive and you are paying for the atmosphere, not the food. My little grandsons controlled the QS choices so those weren't very exciting lol - but be sure to mobile order!

Our favorite parks have always been Epcot and Hollywood Studios (but AK is right up there) and we start and end at Epcot (but then we are staying in the Epcot area). I guess we mostly do MK because of the grandsons - they love it. We have always park hopped. In "the days before", we would start at the Early Entry park then hop to the extra Magic Hours park but even post Covid, without these perks, we hopped. But if I were taking a shorter trip, I might not (we are always there about 10 days and do more ADRs than you are planning and can walk to Epcot and HS). We have never taken a mid day break (other than our hopping time lol) even though my husband and I are in our 70's and walk many miles per day there and our grandsons both started as infants (they took their naps in their stroller). We usually end up with about 2-1/2 to 3 days in each park in half day chunks.

If the Lion King show (AK) is back in full it is wonderful. I also like Beauty and the Beast (HS) but it is more of a stage show with many recorded parts. We loved the HS dessert party, but I don't know if it's back - Star Wars characters roaming about as you eat interesting concoctions after which you get escorted to a front area for the nighttime show (it is hot and loud there!) and before they made it an extra charge we used to watch Illumunations at The Rose and Crown having dinner on their patio, but now that's also a package (and of course now it's a different nighttime show).

I think my favorite ride is Tower of Terror but that is probably because, having grown up with Twilight Zone, it is so fun to ride through the show's opening. Their ToT is so much better than the one at DL was because they had more room. Also at HS I love the new Runaway Railway but looking forward to having that at DL soon. I was sad to see The Great Movie ride go but this new ride is worth it- but the lines were HUGE, so you could always wait till it gets to DL. And the boys love Slinky. At AK I am kind of meh on Pandora ( know, most people love it!) but it is a "must do". I much prefer Kilimanjaro Safaris (I'd say do first thing in the morning for more animal action - I wouldn't sleep in as another poster suggested, but we do go in the summer when it gets very hot for the animals in the afternoon, so the timing may not be so important at other times of the year - but if you want a shorter day there, think about Boma after you're done...with an ADR of course). And Expedition Everest is fun, even with Disco Yeti - still worth it (and if the line is short, waiting for the front car is too!). If you are there at the right time, the "awakening" of the Tree of Life, around dusk as I recall, is nice in the same way as the lighting up of Radiator Springs is - not something I'd go far out of my way for but fun to experience. At MK of course 7 Dwarves is not to be missed. And as an old person I love the classic Carousel of Progress. Although the lines can be very slow, I don't mind going through the Peter Pan line because it is very cute (or Toy Story at HS), but the ride is pretty much the same as DL (same for Toy Story). And at Epcot, first I would be sure to check out the entertainment schedule (I'd check the American Gardens schedule as part of my trip planning). They have often had some very fun things (they used to have this amazing candy lady in Japan, and they had a fellow who made cotton candy flowers in China more recently, they have had acrobats in China, plus lots of musical entertainment not only in the different countries but also at the American Gardens Theater). I like to sample everything at Epcot - Frozen, The Three Amigos in Mexico (probably boring for your aged kids but nostalgic for me - and we are the exception that we like eating at the Mexican restaurant waterside there also even though we have such great Mexican food here in California, but it's for me the ambiance), Spaceship Earth, Living With the Land (again, the nostalgia) and the Nemo ride is cute. I for one could do without Test Track - and boy was that queue dirty but hopefully improved with more staff - but I imagine your kids will want to do it. I much prefer (in fact, love) Radiator Springs Racers.

Sorry to go on and on, but I do love both WDW and DL for the different things each has to offer. Whatever you do, go with a positive frame of mind and you will have a wonderful time.

Oh, and I bring 3 pairs of shoes so they have time to dry. Or bring some shoes you can wipe dry (I haven't found any I like yet). We brought lots of throwaway ponchos but mostly just went without and got wet as they were too much bother - plus you create your own sauna.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter