Recommendations on strong smelling candles

maslex

DIS Veteran
I've been an avid Yankee Candle user for many many years. But lately, I've noticed that they just don't have (or keep) a strong scent anymore.

There have been some that will have that strong scent for the first time that I burn it (whether its a tart or a big candle) then any time after that there's barely nothing. I remember the days that I could burn a whole LG candle and it would be strong throughout the whole thing. Not anymore :(

I got a decent deal on big candles over the summer and just burned a Christmas scent yesterday (first time lighting it) and it doesn't even smell! So disappointing.

Anyhow, do you have any suggestions on what candles are strong smelling and will last beyond the first light? Thanks!

we've gotten a few mccall's candles over the last couple of months-very strong throughout the life of the candle. the ones trader joes sells in the small tins have lasting power as well.

we've gotten a few mccall's candles over the last couple of months-very strong throughout the life of the candle. the ones trader joes sells in the small tins have lasting power as well.

where do you find mccalls? never heard of them. and I wish we had a trader joes around here.

I received these as a gift last year. They smell amazing! I tired the room spray and it was too strong and I smelled it for a few days after one spray. Lorenz Candle co on etsy

I've had the best luck with Hallmark candles. You can catch them buy one get one free from time to time

where do you find mccalls? never heard of them. and I wish we had a trader joes around here.

we got them at north 40 outfitters but they are also sold at cabellas, on amazon and their own website. looks like you can also get trader joes on amazon as well

I’ve spent money on the bigger brand candles and recently bought some nice 3 wick ones from Walmart for less than $4. They come in many scents and burn nicer than the more expensive ones. My favorite is juicy watermelon. Love the smell!

This might be a crazy question to you but have you had covid? Reason I ask is it has repeatedly been something they've found throughout the pandemic---an increase in complaints about candle scent strength issues but coinciding with covid cases.

I would wonder even more considering it's not just one brand for you OP you've found.

Are you sure it's not your nose? I ask because smell is cumulative and it's easy to kill your sense of smell if you aren't airing the place out in between.

I have a very sensitive sense of smell and when we were visiting family for the holidays we were at a home where I am convinced the entire family is nose dead. There have been escalations in scents but this last time takes the cake. There were crazy strong different scented candles and air things all over the place, literally every room was different and it smelled like an explosion as they all mashed up. Of course, we said nothing but we were talking about how we needed to crack the window in the tiny bathroom for fresh air to not keel over. On top of this all kitchen bathroom soaps had different smells and everyone was wearing way too much fragrance. Pretty sure they just short circuited their smellers which is why it needs to be so strong now.

Are you sure it's not your nose? I ask because smell is cumulative and it's easy to kill your sense of smell if you aren't airing the place out in between.

I have a very sensitive sense of smell and when we were visiting family for the holidays we were at a home where I am convinced the entire family is nose dead. There have been escalations in scents but this last time takes the cake. There were crazy strong different scented candles and air things all over the place, literally every room was different and it smelled like an explosion as they all mashed up. Of course, we said nothing but we were talking about how we needed to crack the window in the tiny bathroom for fresh air to not keel over. On top of this all kitchen bathroom soaps had different smells and everyone was wearing way too much fragrance. Pretty sure they just short circuited their smellers which is why it needs to be so strong now.
My goodness that sounds like my worst nightmare.

I haven't had any issues with my Yankee candles loosing their scent, I go through about one every week or two.

You probably have covid. There is an epidemiologist that tracks covid trends by how frequently people leave bad reviews on Yankee Candles for not smelling strong enough.

This might be a crazy question to you but have you had covid? Reason I ask is it has repeatedly been something they've found throughout the pandemic---an increase in complaints about candle scent strength issues but coinciding with covid cases.

I would wonder even more considering it's not just one brand for you OP you've found.

I was just about to post this. There was an article out, early last year, correlating the many negative reviews to Yankee candles, in particular, but also these same people complaining about other candle companies too, and it turned out these people likely had Covid (without other obvious symptoms.) It turned out to be these people's noses, not the candle companies changing the amount of their scents. There have been many more articles and studies since then correlating the same thing.

BTW, according to the health & safety expert I spoke to when I recently got Covid and I mentioned I could still taste and smell stuff, she said the newer strains of Covid luckily do not have that as a symptom. :thumbsup2

Last edited:
Nest if willing to pay the $$. Aldi's 3 wicks otherwise. Way better than B&BW or Yankee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter