Recording Everything?

GirlyVetTech

Conceal, don't feel. Put on a show.
I’m at Disney currently and I’ve noticed of the last few visits so many people living behind their cell phone screens and recording everything. I understand you want to remember. Some will only ever get one trip here. But what I mean are things like recording shows like Happily Ever After or on rides, why? There are already so many high quality videos on YouTube. I just want to understand why people do this so often. Thank you!

I can count the number of times I’ve watched the videos my dad recorded at Disney on no fingers. I’ll buy a photo if I want a souvenir, but I’d rather live in the moment than live behind the screen.
So true...during an Electrical Parade one evening, a woman was watching/recording the entire thing on her iPhone, oblivious to anything outside the frame of her screen. The Snow White float came by, followed by the dwarfs.

Grumpy walked over to her (she was at the front of the crowd) and stood an inch from her phone, his nose filling the entire screen. I took it as him not just being grumpy/malicious, but also saying "Wake up, you're missing the parade".

I tried not to laugh too hard (and failed).

Do they make them in perscription?? **S

While researching this product someone asked this question and was told that prescription lenses can be inserted, the ones they come with are removable and I did pat extra to get clear glass so I can wear them at night.

Bill From PA

So true...during an Electrical Parade one evening, a woman was watching/recording the entire thing on her iPhone, oblivious to anything outside the frame of her screen. The Snow White float came by, followed by the dwarfs.

Grumpy walked over to her (she was at the front of the crowd) and stood an inch from her phone, his nose filling the entire screen. I took it as him not just being grumpy/malicious, but also saying "Wake up, you're missing the parade". I tried not to laugh too hard (and failed).
For moments just like this! It is very easy to video and watch live, I have done it for years. Yes there are times that my video may be out whack, because I do not look at the screen all the time, but that just adds to OUR experience. Watch someone else's video! Really?? We have tons of WDW videos and our DDs constantly watch them over and over again, saying "I remember that, thats the trip we did this etc." and "remember when Goofy came up and took our camera and used it to record us or the time that the Storm Troopers grabbed us (both DD's) and made us march" Plus many more, so go ahead and watch other people's videos. Not only do we get to live the moment live but we get to re-live it over and over if we want too.
That's why!

Last edited:
I can’t count the number of times my mom has pulled out old video of their trips to WDW. I’ve seen parades that aren’t around anymore. Yes, I could watch them online but there’s something about hearing my dad in the video or having my mom reminisce beside me about the trip. So yeah, record away and enjoy

There are already so many high quality videos on YouTube. I just want to understand why people do this so often. Thank you!

Because I want my memory. Those videos on YouTube aren't mine, they're someone else's. It's the same reason why I also take photos...a lot of photos...even though I could probably find the same thing on line somewhere. For me taking photos and videos is very much a part of going somewhere and something I look forward to doing. I know it's not something everyone enjoys but, if it's not bothering you (general you...not a specific), what does it matter how many videos or photos someone takes.

Do they make them in perscription?? **S
Nothing in that link indicates the vendor provides optician services. If you look at the replacement lenses they sell, you will see they are far too thin to be replaced by prescription lenses.

I guess some people can have one eye on the screen and one eye on the magic. I personally cannot. Plus the light from everyone screen during dark shows or rides is bothersome. One woman yesterday during HEA had her light on to video the show. It was only when my companion asked them to shut off the light then another asked her to did she understand it was impacting people’s views of the show. And on a side note there was a guy talking on his cell phone during POTC. That one I cannot figure out. But it’s besides the point. Thanks for everyone’s opinions. I just didn’t want to miss a legitimate reason.

I guess some people can have one eye on the screen and one eye on the magic. I personally cannot. Plus the light from everyone screen during dark shows or rides is bothersome. One woman yesterday during HEA had her light on to video the show. It was only when my companion asked them to shut off the light then another asked her to did she understand it was impacting people’s views of the show. And on a side note there was a guy talking on his cell phone during POTC. That one I cannot figure out. But it’s besides the point. Thanks for everyone’s opinions. I just didn’t want to miss a legitimate reason.
People who like to record everything get very passionate about it, as you've seen, but yeah, I agree with your initial observation.

If only they came up with some sort of privacy screen so people's phones didn't bother others around them, I couldn't care less how many videos people took. If they want to live life through their phones, fine. But I am beyond sick of having to experience rides, fireworks shows, concerts, and even just movies at the theater accompanied by the ever-present glow of phones belonging to people like this.

Dark rides are a no no for me but firework shows I'm down with so long as the person is at least attempting to be considerate of others. Try not to put it in someone's face, keep the brightness down and no flash and normally I don't even notice it. The kids on the shoulders or perched up high by some other means--yeah I notice those.

We actually had a knock off go pro this past trip and my husband would wear a chest harness on certain rides like 7DMT. That is such a hoot to look back on even a year later. It's our video rather than someone else's. Our laughter we can hear. I still very much love watching videos on YouTube especially ones you can tell are professional meaning they do it as part of their blog/website job but still I got the memory from ours.

Bright lights during a dark ride or show is a different issue from questioning why people want to record everything. Different strokes for different folks. As long as it's not infringing on you (such as with bright lights) then it really shouldn't be an issue for you. Everyone enjoys the parks in different ways. It's a beautiful destination. Of course people are going to want to photograph it in a variety of ways.

If only they came up with some sort of privacy screen so people's phones didn't bother others around them, I couldn't care less how many videos people took. If they want to live life through their phones, fine. But I am beyond sick of having to experience rides, fireworks shows, concerts, and even just movies at the theater accompanied by the ever-present glow of phones belonging to people like this.

Yep - if you want to record, that's awesome, but holy cow, I do not want to see your face glowing all the way through the Haunted Mansion. And enjoy the washed out pictures you took on Frozen with the flash on.

This is such a pet peeve of mine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter