• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Recycling in the parks?

C-CMom

Mouseketeer
Do they really sort recyclables from trash "backstage"?

I have seen reports of this, but don't like to put recyclables in a regular trash can unless I am fairly sure it will be sorted. I am willing to walk farther/hold on to trash for abit to find a proper recycling can if needed.

I found a WDW master environnmental plan online that indicated goals of zero-waste and timelines to achieve, but I couldn't find what exactly happens with recycling now. I don't think I saw too many recycling cans in the parks last time we were there several years ago (though more noticeable in the hotels). It would be nice to have a recycling can next to every trash can in order to further promote recycling by creating opportunity and expectation.

Do you know if paper cups are recycled? FWIW - I plan to primarily refill water filter bottles. I tend to get counter service water in cups, but might refill via fountain a bit more.

Thanks for any info! :wizard:

Do they really sort recyclables from trash "backstage"?

I have seen reports of this, but don't like to put recyclables in a regular trash can unless I am fairly sure it will be sorted. I am willing to walk farther/hold on to trash for abit to find a proper recycling can if needed.

I found a WDW master environnmental plan online that indicated goals of zero-waste and timelines to achieve, but I couldn't find what exactly happens with recycling now. I don't think I saw too many recycling cans in the parks last time we were there several years ago (though more noticeable in the hotels). It would be nice to have a recycling can next to every trash can in order to further promote recycling by creating opportunity and expectation.

Do you know if paper cups are recycled? FWIW - I plan to primarily refill water filter bottles. I tend to get counter service water in cups, but might refill via fountain a bit more.

Thanks for any info! :wizard:

There are recycle contauners for bottles and cans in the parks. Resort rooms have two trash cans, one for bottles and cans and one for trash separate.

My family took a behind the scenes tour a few years ago. One of the things that impressed them the most was the recycling efforts tha Disney makes. All of the trash is sorted. Every bit.

My family took a behind the scenes tour a few years ago. One of the things that impressed them the most was the recycling efforts tha Disney makes. All of the trash is sorted. Every bit.
We also did the backstage tour and saw the recycling/sorting work being done. It was pretty amazing. They do have different containers for bottles and cans around the parks and resorts, but all of the trash is sorted as Nancyg noted.

Great, thanks!
Will use designated containers when available, but won't fret too much if not finding one right away.

I was told on KTTK a few years ago that the recycle bins were due to guest request, but all trash was sorted backstage. At that time, some of the "double" trash/recycle cans actually emptied into the same bag.

I was told more recently (Backstage Magic tour last year?) that guests are SO good about self-separation of recyclables that they no longer hand sort the trash. I've been a lot more careful since then to put bottles/cans into their proper receptacles.

I was told more recently (Backstage Magic tour last year?) that guests are SO good about self-separation of recyclables that they no longer hand sort the trash. I've been a lot more careful since then to put bottles/cans into their proper receptacles.

Hmm, interesting. Will give the extra effort, then - thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter