Reflective Captioning

SondraD11

Mouseketeer
Hi -

I'm hard of hearing from a childhood bout with the measles. I have about an 85% loss in both ears and do pretty well with my hearing aids and lip reading. I don't know how to sign as that was discouraged when I was learning to lip read and taking speech therapy.

On my last Disney trip, I tried the reflective captioning at the Muppets 3D attraction. I really loved being able to understand all the dialog but it kind of gave me a headache because the captioning stand was off to the side. I had to keep turning my head between the screen and the captioning device.

I'm going to Disney again in early February and wondering if I should give reflective captioning another chance or perhaps spend the money to rent the portable captioning devices. The infrared transmitters don't help me because they make my hearing aids squeal with feedback and I really need the words and not more volume. Do any other hearing impaired board members have some advice? Any and all responses are much appreciated. Thanks.

Sondra :earsgirl:

Sondra,
The reflective captioning device was not set up right. It should be in front of you and not off to the side. Move it around until you get it in a comfortable position for you to view. It doesn't need to remain where the castmember places it. You need to make your own adjustments.

The Captioning devices are very nice but they do require a deposit of $100 which is refunded when you return the device to guest services that day. It can be placed on a credit card and then they will charge it back to the card.

Originally posted by Talking Hands

The Captioning devices are very nice but they do require a deposit of $100 which is refunded when you return the device to guest services that day. It can be placed on a credit card and then they will charge it back to the card.
Wow. Wasn't the deposit $25 when they first got them? I suppose they lose a lot of those or they would not have the deposit so high.:confused:

Sue, it is $100 for the PDA captioning devices that show the script of the rides. $25 for a device to activate the close captions on the TVs in preshows and the like. BTW the PDA device will also activate the CC on the tvs at preshows and exhibits so there is no need to get both.

Sondra,
Please try the reflective captioning again.
My DD couldn't get the hang of it AT FIRST (she was 6 1/2 when we discovered this option last August).
What I then realized I had to do was have her sit comfortably in her seat. I then placed it right in front of her, and used that Coil to adjust the height. Then you have to "tilt" the screen to get the printed words.
If it's placed JUST SO, you can be very comfortable and enjoy the show!!!!!!!!! :wave2:

Thank you to everyone for their quick replies. I will try the reflective captioning again. I guess the first time, I wasn't even sure how it would work and I just assumed that it had to be set up the way the cast member positioned it. I can usually get the general idea of what is going on at an attraction, but it would be nice to have the actual words at shows and on rides.

Talking Hands - you mentioned that the PDA captioning devices are very nice to use. It sounds as if you think they are worth the deposit. My only hesitation with getting one was that it would be one more thing to carry around the park. I think that I'll see how big (and heavy) they are and make a decision then. Where can these be rented? Also, if I would park hop, do I need to turn it in at each park or do I keep one for the entire day?

Sondra :earsgirl:

Yes I do feel that they are worth the deposit. They are somewhat bulky but have a lanyard type thing to put it around your neck. You have to turn them back at the same park you recieved it at. Go to Guest Services to pick it up.
The reason that you have to return to the same park may be that they are not programmed with all the scripts but only those specific to that park. I do not believe they are available at Animal Kingdom yet but they are at Mk, EPCOT and MGM-Studios

Originally posted by Talking Hands
Sue, it is $100 for the PDA captioning devices that show the script of the rides. $25 for a device to activate the close captions on the TVs in preshows and the like. BTW the PDA device will also activate the CC on the tvs at preshows and exhibits so there is no need to get both.
Thanks for clarifying that. Now that I think of it, I think the $25 price for the CC activator was the only price I've heard, so that's the one that I thought of.
The pictures I have seen made them look sort of the size and shape of a Palm PDA. Does that fit what they are actually like?

Hi :wave:

I'm partially deaf too, and don't sign at all. I find the captioning at WDW absolutely brilliant, we have nothing like it over here in the UK.

Even if you get the PDA captioning device, you will still need to use the reflective captions for the shows. I used the PDA last trip and found it brilliant for the rides such as Spaceship Earth, Small World etc, you really don't realise how much you are missing until you use the PDA. It is quite bulky but hangs round your neck so is OK to transport around the parks.

Hope you have a great trip. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter