Refreshing

graybow77

Mouseketeer
I know this has been covered many time. But I am headed to WDW in few weeks and wondered how it works as for as refreshing the app so score fast passes. Thanks in advance

Sarcasm about the app aside, I believe it's discussed in the FP+ FAQ sticky, take a quick look there.

Cliff notes version is that it's literally what it sounds like. You constantly refresh the MDE app to look for a FP+ you want. For example if you're standing in MK right now and want to ride Space Mountain right now, hop on MDE and look for a FP+. If one doesn't show up, refresh the screen. This is done by hitting the time slot over and over...or if you have an Apple, hitting a different time slot (i.e. 2:00pm, then 2:30pm, then back to 2:00pm). Rinse and repeat until one shows up. If it shows up for 9pm, grab it. Then try to modify it to a different time using the method I just described.

It works great.

Sarcasm about the app aside, I believe it's discussed in the FP+ FAQ sticky, take a quick look there.

Cliff notes version is that it's literally what it sounds like. You constantly refresh the MDE app to look for a FP+ you want. For example if you're standing in MK right now and want to ride Space Mountain right now, hop on MDE and look for a FP+. If one doesn't show up, refresh the screen. This is done by hitting the time slot over and over...or if you have an Apple, hitting a different time slot (i.e. 2:00pm, then 2:30pm, then back to 2:00pm). Rinse and repeat until one shows up. If it shows up for 9pm, grab it. Then try to modify it to a different time using the method I just described.

It works great.
Are you just relying on somebody else either cancelling or modifying their own FP in order for this to work? And is it more successful ‘on the day’ rather than other days leading up to it due to people’s plans changing more on the actual day?

It's super easy and works almost every time with refreshing. A lot of people cancel or modify last minute. If the ride you're looking for only has availability during a time you don't need it, book it anyway. This makes it easier when refreshing because you won't have to scroll down every time you refresh.

It works great.

It's super easy and works almost every time with refreshing. A lot of people cancel or modify last minute. If the ride you're looking for only has availability during a time you don't need it, book it anyway. This makes it easier when refreshing because you won't have to scroll down every time you refresh.

Thanks so much for explaining- I have never done this (I have not installed the app in my smart phone because on previous trips as I heard it’s wonky/ unreliable ) I usUally just go on the WDW site on my smartphone and adjust my Fastpasses that way. Will this “refresh” method work that way (not using the app but on the wdw site on your smartphone) or only on the app?

Thanks for clarifying, Marina :cutie:

Thanks so much for explaining- I have never done this (I have not installed the app in my smart phone because on previous trips as I heard it’s wonky/ unreliable ) I usUally just go on the WDW site on my smartphone and adjust my Fastpasses that way. Will this “refresh” method work that way (not using the app but on the wdw site on your smartphone) or only on the app?

I was at Disney last week and got 9 FP+ in one day at MK :)

The refresh will work on the app or the website on your phone.

It works great.
I could hug you right now! haha. I needed it broken down for my brain. :)

Glad to help. Once you log on and try it, you'll realize how simple it really is. A lot of people get concerned that it will cause them to have their face "buried" in the phone the entire trip. I have found that not to be the case at all. It's such an easy and mindless thing to do that I have no problem still participating in full conversations with my family. In fact, my kids like to watch me do it, as to them it's exciting to see what pops up.

First, you are making a large assumption that the app will even be working...
This times 1,000! The app is super glitchy and can take forever to refresh, if you can get on in the first place.

We're here now and the app is horrible. I've talked to several CMs on the phone and in person and they all acknowledge there are some issues going on again, which seems to be the norm anymore. That said, I am an experienced "refresher" and we were able to use the method successfully several times at AK on Sunday. We got another FOP, NRJ, Dinosaur and ROL. FOP took the longest at about 45 minutes but we were back at the resort at that time for a mid day break while it was raining. I could've gotten EE, Safari and Kali also.

I would say that for first timers it will take up time with your nose in your phone and you can miss seeing some really cool things. If your standing around doing nothing or walking and know where you're going then it's fine.

This times 1,000! The app is super glitchy and can take forever to refresh, if you can get on in the first place.

We're here now and the app is horrible. I've talked to several CMs on the phone and in person and they all acknowledge there are some issues going on again, which seems to be the norm anymore. That said, I am an experienced "refresher" and we were able to use the method successfully several times at AK on Sunday. We got another FOP, NRJ, Dinosaur and ROL. FOP took the longest at about 45 minutes but we were back at the resort at that time for a mid day break while it was raining. I could've gotten EE, Safari and Kali also.

I would say that for first timers it will take up time with your nose in your phone and you can miss seeing some really cool things. If your standing around doing nothing or walking and know where you're going then it's fine.

I've heard when the app goes wonky most will just use the web on their phone's Internet browser. Some have said the website on their phone tends to be much better.

Thank you! It isn’t sarcasm when it is true. This morning I FINALLY saw a “Some guests may be experiencing problems...” message on the app. So maybe something is being done.

I did it successfully last week. There were a couple times that I had to use the browser instead of the app. My biggest success was getting an 8:05pm fastpass for Frozen around 5:30pm.

Thank you! It isn’t sarcasm when it is true. This morning I FINALLY saw a “Some guests may be experiencing problems...” message on the app. So maybe something is being done.

Eh, this happens every Tuesday. They roll out "updates" very early Tuesday mornings and simultaneously manage to break random parts of MDE every Tuesday.

Eh, this happens every Tuesday. They roll out "updates" very early Tuesday mornings and simultaneously manage to break random parts of MDE every Tuesday.

Except THIS update has not worked since it came out last week.

Some things to keep in mind. Refresh really does become an art form for some and persistence pays off most of the time. Obviously some are harder to grab than others, but, if you want something specific just dont give up. It always works best day of and on any given day works really well from park open till about 3. After that the options gradually diminish incrementally as each hour passes. But, we generally can pull 8-12 a day at MK easily and that includes all the top rides. The ones that require the most patience: MK- 7DMT, Epcot- Really none but sometimes TT can be difficult to find, AK- FOP but between park open and 11 you can generally find one for later in the day and then modify..Studios- SlinkyDog- Has been the toughest one to grab since it opened but we have grabbed it several times day of. Other than those, which just require more patience, the rest are pretty easy. In one day in March we grabbed HTOT, RNRC, TSM all at Studios while walking over in the morning from Boardwalk. After modifying times and moving things up we also lucked into a SLinky Dog, left the park and grabbed a Test Track for Epcot that afternoon and after riding that grabbed an FOP for that evening at AK. The crowd makeup will also determine the effectiveness. The more Locals, AP Holders, or people who know how to use refresh which are at a park as a percentage will make the Refresh less effective. But, that percentage is generally so small that you should be fine. We feel like the busier the park is the easier it is to refresh because less percentage of the park guests know how to use FP effectively.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter