Refueling rental car before drop-off at MCO

erin1715

DIS Veteran
Is there a gas station you all prefer to stop close to MCO to refill a rental car before dropping it off?

It seems like every time we rent a car we get stuck in a bind trying to find a decent gas station and one that doesn’t take advantage of you with the price.

Is there a gas station you all prefer to stop close to MCO to refill a rental car before dropping it off?

It seems like every time we rent a car we get stuck in a bind trying to find a decent gas station and one that doesn’t take advantage of you with the price.
There is a 7-11 (I think it's a 7-11) on the backside of MCO, past the new terminal.

As you've probably already observed the gas prices near MCO / off of 528 tend to be jacked up. In the past I've found "prepaying" with the rental company to be a good deal rather than worrying about bringing it back full.

The times I haven't prepaid, I've either filled up at Disney Springs (which is usually a last-day stop for us) because the needle doesn't move very far off Full at first, or at a gas station near Sea World where it's easy to get on 528. The prices there tended to be normal, though looking now they also seem a touch on the high side,

Screenshot 2023-02-03 113331.JPG

We filled up at the Speedy just outside Boardwalk on our way to the airport earlier this week. We’ve pretty much always filled up at or near WDW before hitting the 417.

I always fill up at the gas station behind the airport, it's like .15ish above avg which I really don't think that jacked at all It's easy in, easy out right to the airport it's even easier if you take 417 to the airport because you have to drive by it on your way in.

1675449842627.png

I don't remember the exact gas station we used but would generally fillup the night before our departure after having dinner. Less to do on the day of your departure and don't have to chance freeway delays/etc so you get to the airport on time. Most cars will still show FULL even if you have driven a few miles. I never pay for the rental company refueling charge since they always charge WAY more then it costs to do yourself.

We always fill in WDW and never had an issue. You can always overfill the tank, even 1/2 gallon should get you most of the way to the airport in most cars.

You can always overfill the tank, even 1/2 gallon should get you most of the way to the airport in most cars.

We do that at ANY place we go on vacation using a rental car. Gas stations near some airports hike up the price to catch those who are running late getting to the airport. You can drive 30+ miles if the tank if completely full and it will still show FULL when dropping off the vehicle.

I fill up at the Speedy at Orange Blossom Trail off 417 in front of the Target. It is within the 10 miles to the airport in case they get sticky with the miles. But I have never been asked.

The day before we leave, I fill up at Sam’s Club. When we go to the airport, I add about a gallon at an airport gas station and don’t worry about the higher price.

One data point on gas pricing from last week. I filled up our rental car at the Speedway station near the Boardwalk on Friday (1/27) at $3.529/gal. I topped up the tank at the Shell station (7-11 facility) on the entrance road from 417 to the south entrance of MCO on Monday (1/30) at $3.659/gal. I didn’t think the 13 cent premium for the near airport location was too bad. If we had used Alamo for the rental, I would not have bothered to top up the tank, since the gauge was still reading full, but this was a Budget rental and my previous Budget rental dropping off at the Port Canaveral location they asked to see a gas receipt. They wanted $9.99/gal to fill the tank if you had not done so within 5 miles of the drop off location. It was another of the multiple reasons that I try to avoid renting with Budget whenever pricing with the Enterprise group (Alamo/Enterprise/National) is reasonably close to Budget/Avis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter