Regarding the Norwalk Virus and other issues

WebmasterPete

Grand Administrator
I have, along with most of you, been reading the posts here recently about events surrounding Disney's handling of the Norwalk Virus. In specific, a situation where a quarantine was ordered. As many of you know, that thread was locked because the amount of speculation was reaching a point where it was no longer constructive, just rumors and gossip with no real basis in fact. I took it upon myself to contact DCL yesterday (at a very high level) and get direct information from them on how these situations are handled.

1) At no time has a cabin steward ever affected the quarantine of a passenger on the ship. They don't have that authority. If a guest is quarantined, it is done by the ships Doctor, and ONLY by the ships Doctor, and done on a case by case basis. The ship does not have the labratory facilities on board to test for Norwalk, therefore, the Doctor must make an educated decision based on the guests symptoms to determine if the person might be at risk. If the Doctor feels the person might have Norwalk, he will quarantine the guest. This is done for the safety and comfort of the other 3599 people on board each sailing. This virus is spread by direct contact, and the only way to help contain it once the ship is at sea is to issue a quarantine. This is standard practice in the cruise industry.

I also know that Disney goes to great length to make the passenger in question as comfortable as possible. The general impression given here is that a person is imprisoned and no longer treated as a guest. I'm sure there are some guests who feel they should not be quarantined, even if they have the virus. If you were on that cruise, and you knew someone had Norwalk, and refused to honor the quarantine, how would you feel? I've seen groups of people become mob-like on crusie ships when someone doesn't show up to customs in order for the ship to clear. I can't imagine the general reaction to knowing someone was contagious and refused to stay in their stateroom.

2. These types of issues happen on cruise ships all the time, the only difference is, this outbreak made it into the news cycle. Last year a far worse and much more contagious illness broke out on the Alaskan itinerary, with thousands getting sick, and it hardly merited a mention in the news. The only reason we're even hearing about this is because Holland America (the first line to be affected) did such an awful job at taking care of their guests. No one, not even Disney's staunchest critic, could accuse Disney of not doing everything in their power to control this.

Believe me when I say that I'm usually at the front of the line to smack DCL in the side of the head when it screws up. I've never held back my comments. As a matter of fact, when I had repeatedly negative experiences on the 3 and 4 day itineraries a few years back, I was very close to no longer selling those itineraries through Dreams Unlimited. I was very vocal about the service, and the quality of the food, and I have been very vocal about other issues. In this instance, piling on Disney as though it were the Cruise equivalent of Trent Lott is simply unfair. They have done a magnificent job under the most trying of circumstances. They have pulled the ship out of service, loosing millions of dollars in the process, offered refunds, discounts and a host of other options to keep their guests happy (something many of the other cruise lines are NOT doing). They have worked in great tandem with the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta, and even the Orlando media, which usually loves to stick it to Disney, was praising how well they've handled this.

While it certainly possible that Disney can, and will, make mistakes, I ask that we reserve our comments on this issue to facts. Not third party here-say, innuendo or rumors. Let 4nana tell us what happened. The speculation and rumor was degrading into gossip, and it was simply unfair. If Disney was screwing this up, I'd say "Have at 'em", but they are not, and in this instance, I will insist on fairness, and comments based on fact, not conjecture.

Pete

Thank you Pete!

I for one am anxiously awaiting to hear a post from 4nana when she returns. It's nice to know that if it is either a negative or positive post that you are commiting to not locking her out. By the time she posts, she will have had time to calm down a bit and I believe we will get a nice level headed response from her -- with all of the facts - both good and bad.

Thanks again!
:D

THANK YOU, PETE! I hope everyone will take your post to heart!

We all need to understand that DCL has no way to know onboard if someone with the symptoms has Norwalk or just the effects of seasickness or a change in food. Unfortunately, the symptoms are pretty much the same. As Pete pointed out - <I>none of us</I> would want to be exposed to the virus due to an infected person insisting it was "something else." DCL is doing <I>the right thing</I> in order to keep illness to a minimum. If they quarantine guests with symptoms who <I>might</I> not have the virus, it is <I>to protect all the others guests and crew</I>. I also feel that when it comes to compensation, they have gone WAY beyond any legal or ethical obligation for something that was NOT their fault.

Amen, Pete! And congratulations on the excellent job that you and the rest of the DIS team do with these message boards.
Although I have been on 27 Disney cruises and consider myself very pro-Disney (an attitude that results from their excellent product and customer service), I too am a person who does not hesitate to criticize when I see something wrong. If you don't believe me, spend some time poking around my website and trip reports...I post the bad along with the good. The only way Disney, or any other company, knows where they need to improve is to get feedback.
But there is a big difference between legitimate, fact-based feedback and the wild, speculative turn that some recent threads have taken. One of the reasons that I love DIS is the friendly atmosphere and the free exchange of information. When I used to frequent the AOL boards, trolling and flaming were constant and any mention of other message boards or travel agencies other than the sponsors were immediately removed. People here are free to compare agencies, other internet resources, etc. I can't even count the number of people that I have referred here as the premiere online source to get virtually any DCL question answered.
Lately, when reading the boards I have been having some flashbacks to the AOL trolling/flaming days. Bravo to Pete for taking steps to return our community to the friendly, open place that I know and love.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Pete,

Let me add my thanks to you and all the board moderators. These boards are a great source of information but some threads can and do start running into rumor and speculation. I applaud the moderators for keeping things on an even keel by locking those threads.

I also applaud that all feedback whether or positive or negative is allowed.

Thanks for the great job you all do!

Very well said Pete!!
biggthumpup.gif

MarkRG, how did you get those blue guys to move like that? Very Cool!

Pete, thanks for your comments!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter