• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Relaxation Idea

inkkognito

<font color=green>I shall call him Mini-Me<br><fon
Hubby and I always bring our portable CD players on our cruises, and when we have a verandah, he loves to spend some quiet time at night before bed sitting out in the dark and listening to music. I recently discovered something even better...meditation and guided relaxation CDs. I bought a bunch really cheap from www.half.com and often listen to them at night at home. Since we are in 5650 on our next two cruises, I intend to end each day with soft music and a meditation. Our next cruise is a month away, and I can hardly wait...the idea of sitting out in the ocean air, with the gentle waves splashing against the side of the ship, listening to a relaxation CD is sooo appealing. Problem is, I'll probably fall asleep out there instead of coming in to bed!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

...and what's wrong with that. Sleeping outside is fun! Especially on a Disney Cruise. I'm sure it's really relaxing listening to the waves.

Have fun, girl!
Tina :)

Please tell me you use personal CD players, the kind that come with headphones so your "neighbors" don't have to listen to your music too. We're on the Magic again in January and I would hate to be sitting on my verandah and be forced to listen to my neighbor's music if they were using a regular CD player and not a personal one with headphones!! That is my main complaint when we go camping, it seems like we always have neighbors who insist on playing their "music" loud enough where we have to listen to it too, soooooooo aggravating!!

I totally agree with you chattyhollic. I to like to listen to relaxing cd's but cannot stand it when camping/hotel rooms when I have to listen to someone else's idea of relaxing music.

Barb-I have one of those clock radios at home that plays different types of sounds (ie:babbling brook, forest, ocean) and am hoping that for Christmas this year I get a travel version of this. My DW snores and I like to use this as white noise. We are doing an Eastern/Western back to back in February and I could not imagine two weeks without my sounds.

Do you think if it is kept low enough even with the door open that it would not travel to the next cabin. I wouldn't have it any louder than would be necessary to watch tv at a reasonable level.

Michael

I haven't seen anyone using a CD player on a cruise without a head set. I seriously doubt that Barb and Tony would play their CDs without one if they are not in their room.

No headphones...I get EVIL pleasure out of driving our neighbors crazy, ha ha ha ha ha!!! :jester: :jester: :jester:
Just kidding, we always use headphones. That way, others don't have to listen in, and it blocks out lots of the outside sounds for the listener too. I don't think I've ever seen anyone with a portable CD player without headphones...you can't even listen to the kind we have without them.
I think the "noise machine" would be fine....I have the travel version and crank it up pretty good, but you can't hear it by the time you reach the hallway door. They are marriage savers for those of us married to snorers.
Barb

i found just sitting out on the verandah in the midlle of the night to be the most soothing experince ever...
total peace and quiet....just the sound of the ship and the water....in the dark of night.....it was incredible...
i would have found music or any other sound to have detracted rather than added to it....

I just got a new portable mini cd player (uses the 3" cds) that reads MP3 files so I copied my music to my pc, converted it to MP3 & burned it to a cd - now instead of 1 hour, I can get 3 to 4 hours per tiny CD so there's less to carry! They also make the players that read regular sized CDs of MP3 format disks.

One of my favorite memories from cruising on NCL last Dec was being up on the top deck late at night - just me and the ocean and the dark sky - totally awesome - cant wait to do it again - this time on the Magic in less than 4 wks!
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

me too....
as you said.....totally awesome....
i know i'm weird that way....that i love the 'sound' of no sound.....i used to do that when we'd go camping in the upper peninsula.....sit up in the middle of the night and listen to the dark.....i can do that for hours....and on the ship in the middle of the night, with the ship motion and the perfect darkness amd absolutely nothing around.....it was amazing....
but as i said, i'm weird......it's not that i don't like music.....but i also love it like that......total nothingness......i suppose it's a form of meditation....

yensidfan99, tell me more about your clock radio and the travel version. My birthday is next week and I would love to put the travel one on my list. Who, what, where. Thanks!

Good afternoon Plutojudy,

The travel version I found is at the Sharper Image. It has twenty different sounds in it and I think runs for about $40.00. It really is a great thing to have if your spouse tends to keep you awake
:p

Thanks, life keeps me awake sometimes.;) What is it called, so I can search online? Thanks again.

I've seen them on ebay for as low as $39.95. If you type in travel soother in the search engine you should net some results. This is a true lifesaver for light sleepers who need some white noise.

Michael

I also have the regular size Sound Soother CD player from Sharper Image (20 different sounds). I got it for Christmas last year. It is fantastic. One of the "sounds" is of waves on the beach and it sounds just like the waves hitting the bow of the Magic. I listen to it and imagine being back on the ship.

MJ

I have the travel size one (as well as the full-size one) from the Sharper Image too. I don't use the clock and alarm, just the sound. We travel a lot, so you know it is durable! We always pack spare batteries...otherwise, with hubby's snoring, I'd never get any sleep. On a 7-day cruise, we usually have to put in new batteries once.
Barb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter