Remembering a friend, 20 years ago.....***Update # 17***

It's very kind of you to pay tribute to Sylvia on the disboards each year. I didn't know Sylvia very well but I felt so sad about her passing, especially for her little boy. I'm sure it brings comfort to family to know she is remembered fondly.

Some might wonder why Dan always brings her up, message boards were kind of new, people from all over the country become freinds, it was so cool, a time and place that will never happen again, and she like most of us, were young and certain death would never find us, then she got cancer and died on us,posting all the way what going on, the boards lost innocence the day she died

I'm an oldster too, and remember Sylvia. Jason's words are elegant, and Dan's remembrances every year touch my heart- another reason I love the DISboards, for the connections and caring. Thanks again, Dan... hard to believe it's been so long.

Some might wonder why Dan always brings her up, message boards were kind of new, people from all over the country become friends, it was so cool, a time and place that will never happen again, and she like most of us, were young and certain death would never find us, then she got cancer and died on us, posting all the way what going on, the boards lost innocence the day she died

Such a good comment and so true. I didn't join the DIS until 2008 but wish I had the chance to know her. I have met many people in person and have become friends with many of them over the years from the DIS and still talk. However, over the last couple of years, I have become less active on the boards. Your right, even in 2008 (when I joined) it was a time and place that will never happen again. I miss the days when people could discuss and not attack each other or be offended by a simple statement like the grass is green and the sky is blue. I guess now that I'm in my mid 50's life is moving past me at a fast pace. The DIS and this world could use more people like Sylvia.

. As Jason said, those truly were special days.

and the DIS was like the wild wild west, no one was realy sure of the rules of conduct and we had giant personailtes all over the place, and poor Dan was like a zoo keeper trying to keep us in order, lol

and the DIS was like the wild wild west, no one was realy sure of the rules of conduct and we had giant personailtes all over the place, and poor Dan was like a zoo keeper trying to keep us in order, lol
Eros comes to mind. 😂

Right?? With the Debate Board, the Republicans board, the Democrats board... Some truly SPECTACULAR threads, in every aspect of the word, with some pretty big personalities to go along with them!

It did seem like a zoo at times, Jason. But I was just part of a great group of zoo keepers back then....Snoopy, RobinRS, Willy J, LisaTX, RhondaS, Bsnyder, Sonjarella
**** comes to mind. 😂
he was the number one personality , he made life misserable for poor dan, I hope life finds him well
He did, yes.

Lots of names I haven't heard in a while (the zookeepers). Do you still stay in touch with any of them, Dan? Such fond memories!

Lots of names I haven't heard in a while (the zookeepers). Do you still stay in touch with any of them, Dan? Such fond memories!
Good to see you again, R.

Snoopy (Judi). Often. Marie and I had a wedding to go to in DC some years back, Marie and Judi were glad to finally meet each other.

Willy, but seems he dropped off the earth. Can't reach him any way, email, phone, text (right after his mom passed away a couple years back), hoping he is okay. Bsnyder periodically.

It was a great group back then.

I will have been around for 14 years this July and I always thought the yearly memorial post was very sweet and a great tribute to your friend. Sorry, that I never got to know her. Thanks for keeping her memory alive here on the boards.

I remember you posting about your beautiful friend, Dan. It’s wonderful of you to keep her memory alive!

For 14 years after her passing, I posted a lengthy thread here on the community board, remembering Sylvia, a disboard member who passed away after a long fight against the beast, back on June 7, 2001. Many, maybe most, of those who knew her from back then, now 20 years ago, have moved on, on their own accord, or otherwise. Most here today have no knowledge or recollection of this wonderful lady from so many years ago, nor of her son, Nick.

Other than periodic updates about Nick and his grandma Margarete (Sylvia's mom), the lengthy read never really changed year to year, same pictures, same story. So, back a few years ago, I guess six now, rather than posting another sort of same thread, I thought I would post just a short thought, remembering this wonderful lady, a friend, Sylvia. And here it is again for today. A wonderful memory.

God speed, my friend, God speed. :hug:'s And continued good wishes for Nick, now about 25 years old.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high
And the dreams that you dreamed of
Once in a lullaby
Somewhere over the rainbow
Blue birds fly
And the dreams that you dreamed of
Dreams really do come true
Someday I'll wish upon a star
Wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where trouble melts like lemon drops
High above the chimney tops is where you'll find me
Somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly
And the dreams that you dare to, oh why, oh why can't I?
Well I see trees of green and Red roses too,
I'll watch then bloom for me and you
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world
Well I see skies of blue and I see clouds of white
And the brightness of day
I like the dark and I think to myself
What a wonderful world
The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people passing by
I see friends shaking hands
Saying, "How do you do?"
They're really saying, I...I love you
I hear babies cry and I watch them grow,
They'll learn much more than
We'll know
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world
Someday I'll wish upon a star,
Wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where trouble melts like lemon drops
High above the chimney tops is where you'll find me
Somewhere over the rainbow way up high
And the dreams that you dare to, ... why, oh why can't I

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

Sylvia3_600X443_zpsqguc4w4i.jpg

Sylvia2_299X450_zpsm8zhayai.jpg

Sylvia5_600X413_zps5etk8elz.jpg

Sylvia1_545X450_zpsvtob35sa.jpg

Sylvia6_330X450_zpskygrhdhu.jpg

h03bear_zpstuvehpme.jpg

nickdogs.jpg

Avoncandle.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter