Remembering a friend, Sylvia

Dan Murphy

We are family.
For 14 years after her passing, I posted a lengthy thread here on the community board, remembering Sylvia, a disboard member who passed away after a long fight against the beast, back on June 7, 2001. Many, maybe most, of those who knew her from back then, 19 years ago, have moved on, on their own accord, or otherwise. Most here today have no knowledge or recollection of this wonderful lady from so many years ago, nor of her son, Nick.

Other than periodic updates about Nick and his grandma Margarete (Sylvia's mom), the lengthy read never really changed year to year, same pictures, same story. So, back a few years ago, I guess five now, rather than posting another sort of same thread, I thought I would post just a short thought, remembering this wonderful lady, a friend, Sylvia. And here it is again for today. A wonderful memory.

God speed, my friend, God speed. :hug:'s And continued good wishes for Nick.

Sylvia3_600X443_zpsqguc4w4i.jpg

Sylvia2_299X450_zpsm8zhayai.jpg

Sylvia5_600X413_zps5etk8elz.jpg

Sylvia1_545X450_zpsvtob35sa.jpg

Sylvia6_330X450_zpskygrhdhu.jpg

h03bear_zpstuvehpme.jpg

nickdogs.jpg

Avoncandle.gif

Sylvia3_600X443.jpg

The years seem to go by faster and faster, can't believe that it's been 19 years. She is missed as a DIS family member, and you are so sweet Dan, for always remembering to post this on the anniversary of her passing.

I have seen you post this many years now and it always touches me.
Today marks the one year anniversary of my dad's lost fight from this horrible disease.

RIP Sylvia.........
RIP Dad..... I miss you

Thank you Dan for always posting the remembrance of Sylvia ~ I have thought of Nick so often over the years I do hope he has a good life.
Colleen

Any word how Nick is doing now, Dan?
I have thought of Nick so often over the years I do hope he has a good life.
When I last 'talked' (email) in January with her mom, Margarete, at Sylvia's birthday time, she said about Nick...

Nick has been working in Fernie, British Columbia since last August, working at a ski resort as assistant chef again. He cannot become a full fledged chef until he completes a certified chef course and gets his Red Seal papers. That would take a year. I have tried to talk him into taking the course but he's rather enjoying things the way they are right now. His contract there is up in May... he can then decide if he wants to come back to Ontario or renew the contract ( he could get his old job back if he decides to return).

He does love it out there in the mountains of B.C. though, and has gotten back into skiing with a passion. So we'll have to wait and see....

In the meantime he is coming back for a one week visit this month so I'll get a bit more of a feel of what he might be planning.

I sent Margarete an email earlier today. I will update on Nick if she updates me on him.

When I last 'talked' (email) in January with her mom, Margarete, at Sylvia's birthday time, she said about Nick...

Nick has been working in Fernie, British Columbia since last August, working at a ski resort as assistant chef again. He cannot become a full fledged chef until he completes a certified chef course and gets his Red Seal papers. That would take a year. I have tried to talk him into taking the course but he's rather enjoying things the way they are right now. His contract there is up in May... he can then decide if he wants to come back to Ontario or renew the contract ( he could get his old job back if he decides to return).

He does love it out there in the mountains of B.C. though, and has gotten back into skiing with a passion. So we'll have to wait and see....

In the meantime he is coming back for a one week visit this month so I'll get a bit more of a feel of what he might be planning.

I sent Margarete an email earlier today. I will update on Nick if she updates me on him.
So glad she's been there for him! Thanks for the update, sounds like he's doing pretty well!

Any word how Nick is doing now, Dan?
I have thought of Nick so often over the years I do hope he has a good life.
So glad she's been there for him! Thanks for the update, sounds like he's doing pretty well!
Margarete replied to my email late last night. Here are her thoughts on Nick....

Nick has returned from B.C. on May 14th as all restaurants and resorts in B.C. and the rest of Canada were shut down on March 17th because of Covid . Things are just now starting to open up a bit, so hopefully he will be able to work again soon. Our government has been very helpful though with generous payments to people that lost their jobs due to the pandemic.

Hoping Nick does go back to BC and builds his chef career, if that is his calling. It sounds like that may be his place. I'm sure it's been tough growing up, from a little kid until now, without a mom or dad. Thankfully, his grandmother, Margarete, has been there for him the whole way.

I remember Sylvia. The years go by way too fast. Thank you for this post Dan. Hope all is well with Nick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter