Remembrance in Wedding Program

KellyJo18

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have a good way to include a "remembrance" in a wedding program? I would like include the memory of our grandfathers but am not sure how to word it. Something like "We would like to remember our grandparents..." :confused3. TIA!

We are facing this same problem, but with our Grandmothers. We decided to place small photos of each of them along with short individual paragraphs explaining why it is important to us to remember them on that day on the inside cover of the program (when you open it, on the left). This is easier to us than saying something out loud at the ceremony, and more detailed and personal than just putting "In Rememberance.." at the end of the program.

I like the program idea......i've also heard of people leaving empty chairs [2 if your remembering 2 people 3 for 3 etc] where those people would be sitting and leaving one red and one white rose on each chair. I've always liked this idea and will probably use it in my wedding to remember my grandparents and DF Great Grandmother :goodvibes

We are facing this same problem, but with our Grandmothers. We decided to place small photos of each of them along with short individual paragraphs explaining why it is important to us to remember them on that day on the inside cover of the program (when you open it, on the left). This is easier to us than saying something out loud at the ceremony, and more detailed and personal than just putting "In Rememberance.." at the end of the program.

I like the program idea......i've also heard of people leaving empty chairs [2 if your remembering 2 people 3 for 3 etc] where those people would be sitting and leaving one red and one white rose on each chair. I've always liked this idea and will probably use it in my wedding to remember my grandparents and DF Great Grandmother :goodvibes

Thanks for the help girls! I wish I had more time to do both, they sound great! My sister did a similar thing with the photos for her wedding and everyone loved it :). I wasn't sure how to do the empty chair one at the WP but the roses would work great.

We are planning to do either

1.) a memorial candle adorned with a rose for all those we are remembring (3 in our case) OR

2.) we will be setting up a column with my mom's mickey mouse ears (they were very special to her) so that it feels like she has a place there and my oldest son will be placing a yellow rose (her favorite) on the column after he walks down the aisle. As for the other 2, I was thinking I cold carry my grandfather's hankie and place a single white spray rose in my bouquet for the baby.

Whichever one we choose will be mentioned in the program with it's significance.

We put "In memorium" next to my grandfather's name in the program, then had our officiant say something like, "We'd like to pause now to remember those who could not be with us, including [inserted his full name]." I also carried his hankerchief, which was my "something borrowed" because I returned it to my grandmother after the ceremony.

BG's father passed away 3 weeks before we left for our wedding. We had a rememberance candle placed on BG's side of the altar. It looked like this...

P1010096.jpg

P1010094.jpg

We also had his name in our program listed as "In Memoriam of Bobby G. ***** - Father of the Groom. Who is with us in spirit and in our hearts. In our love, Angela and BG

There will be a point in our ceremony where I am reading a poem in memory of our 3 family members that would otherwise be at our wedding. After my reading, I have a piper playing "Amazing Grace"....that should bring the house down,lol.

There will be a point in our ceremony where I am reading a poem in memory of our 3 family members that would otherwise be at our wedding. After my reading, I have a piper playing "Amazing Grace"....that should bring the house down,lol.

That's what we are trying to avoid. We want to remember our loved ones but without bringing the mood of the day down. What you are doing sounds beautiful but I know it would put me in a funk....I'm entirely too sensitive (crying as I type now, lol).

BG's father passed away 3 weeks before we left for our wedding. We had a rememberance candle placed on BG's side of the altar. It looked like this...

P1010096.jpg

P1010094.jpg

We also had his name in our program listed as "In Memoriam of Bobby G. ***** - Father of the Groom. Who is with us in spirit and in our hearts. In our love, Angela and BG

The candle is beautiful!! Rosie was tring to describe it to me but I couldn't picture it. Thanks for posting. How sad for your DH..I can only imagine how difficult that was but it sounded like you honored his father in a very beautiful way.

The candle is beautiful!! Rosie was tring to describe it to me but I couldn't picture it. Thanks for posting. How sad for your DH..I can only imagine how difficult that wasm but it sounded like you honored his father in a very beautiful way.

Thanks Diane! It was a beautiful candle. In fact, it was her suggestion and I just agreed. It was very sweet of her to include that. I told her that she knew me pretty well, and anything she came up with would be just wonderful. Rosie is just amazing - it's like she gets inside your head for your ideas.

It was tough to go on with the wedding, but we made it through. I think it has made us stronger....:wizard:

oh my goodness...i would cry a river of tears lol. But I think that is so beautiful...put packs of tissues on the seats! :sad1:

Thanks, believe me, I definitely DON"T want it to bring down the mood of the wedding, and I think everything will be fine. I cleared it first with certain family members. We had lost these family members very suddenly and also all within about a year of eachother, and we are still healing from that, however everyone is looking forward to all getting together again, this time for a HAPPY occasion...we definitely NEED a good time, but these 3 people are carried with us all the time in our hearts, I can't imagine having the wedding without some show of memorial or respect. By the way, Amazing Grace was NOT my idea.....it's a total tear-jerker, right?? Thats what I said!!! But, I was out voted by the family. I'll let you know how it goes, the wedding is this Saturday.

Thanks, believe me, I definitely DON"T want it to bring down the mood of the wedding, and I think everything will be fine. I cleared it first with certain family members. We had lost these family members very suddenly and also all within about a year of eachother, and we are still healing from that, however everyone is looking forward to all getting together again, this time for a HAPPY occasion...we definitely NEED a good time, but these 3 people are carried with us all the time in our hearts, I can't imagine having the wedding without some show of memorial or respect. By the way, Amazing Grace was NOT my idea.....it's a total tear-jerker, right?? Thats what I said!!! But, I was out voted by the family. I'll let you know how it goes, the wedding is this Saturday.

Awww...I didn't mean it would bring the mood down for you...I'm just a big cry baby and would never be able to handle it myself. Mind you the three people we lost were all very close to me (my mom being one of them) and it was all very recently. Anyway...I swear to you, I can't even watch kodak commercials without sobbing my eyes out!! :laughing: I'm a huge sap!!

I'm sure your wedding will be just perfect and I can't wait to hear all about it!! :hug:

It's ok, I totally did NOT take offense to it....speaking of sappy, I cry at the end of EVERY episode of Cold Case.....if you have never watched it, watch one episode, wait until the end....you'll see what I mean....I always fall apart,lolol..............one time several years ago I had to do a reading of a poem at my best friends wedding, and I could barely get through it I was crying so much.........So, yes, I know sappy!!

We included a rememberance for those who couldn't make it( My grandmom at the time was in a Nursing home and the rest of our grandparents passed away) in our program. It was nice because it did not destroy the mood.

I have a picture but I can't make it all out but it want something to this nature: "We remember on this special day our Grandmothers, (names) who could not make the journey with us and our grandfathers (names ) who we know are watching above us in joy."
I can look when I get home from work and post it.

DSC01029.jpg

You could have a special candle opposite the unity candles and in your program add that the single candle is lit in memory of your grandfathers.

We are having a rose on a seat to remember my mother as well as a framed picture of her on a table at the reception. We will also be observing a moment of silence in remembrance of her during the ceremony. I have also told my dad that as far as I was concerned, she was walking down the aisle with he and I. She will be there, that's for sure.

One of our family friends put it in a nice way on the back of their programs. I'm going to have to wait 'til Saturday to post it, because it's at home, and I'm at school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter