RENDEZVOUS AT THE FORT - The Fort Wilderness DISMeet Trip Report October 2020

Thanks so much for updating this thread for those of us who can't be there! You all look like a great bunch to share Fort Wilderness with. I've met a Ed, 2goofycampers, and hope to catch up again with @FtW Mike at the end of the year and they are highlights of my FW trips.

@Bishoparc - can you share the smores martini recipe? It's tempting me to day drink :)

Yes, we've run into amcc her family at the Fort maybe 3 times now over the years and each time I notice her kids are getting older and taller. And I keep getting more gray in my hair! :teeth:

Ed

I’m following along from home. Thanks for all the updates and photos! Keep the Mallory photos coming!

I was wondering about the squirrel situation there at the Fort, can someone please post an update on the squirrels?

There are fewer squirrels here now.

I will leave that to each campsite as to whether or not (and how) to do that.

Some folks prefer not to have their face in pictures too directly (me for instance). A distant oblique snap is one thing. I rarely show my face directly.

So to each their own.

Ed

Ps - i might ask abt a group photo this afternoon. No name by name maybe. Its our best chance to get everyone together for one. But i will see what the vibe is.
I would like to take a moment to remind you that for some there is still the issue of THE STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS to be considered

I would like to take a moment to remind you that for some there is still the issue of THE STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS to be considered
you could take a picture with the heads cut off. That would satisfy everyone and fit with the halloween headless horseman theme. :smooth:

Update to come. popcorn:: What a great time.

Just getting back to my site. Other conversations still going on. ED

Our get together has broken up and I'd like to think it went well. There were 30 of us in attendance (31 if you count Mallory). We placed our chairs in a big circle on tiggerdad's site (he had moved his truck to the parking lot) and our circle reached all the way out to the road.

20201012_173340.jpg

20201012_173401.jpg

20201012_173438.jpg

Food was plentiful with burgers, dogs, toasted raviolis, smoked meat, sides, and drinks.

TheRustyScupper offered up a prayer of thanks for the food and fellowship and then we had folks go through the food line. After we had all eaten for a while, I opened up with a welcome. And we thanked our Travel Agent (who had other obligations and couldn't be there) and cooks. We remembered our recently deceased DIS Camping brother, @grumpyaggie, who along with his DW, @friendofeeyore, had a reservation for the Rendezvous DISMeet before his illness overtook him.

Then the fun part was I asked each DIS member there to speak on two points: what your DIS name means and to introduce the members of their party there at the dinner. And that was interesting. We had new names and faces who took a chance on meeting us and I think a good time was had by all.

We raised nearly $1,100 for Give Kids the World through our DIS Camping link and with a few donations made directly to GKTW by fellow DIS Campers, we made a strong offering. TheRustyScupper has been volunteering at GKTW for 11 years and made a comment about how easy it is to volunteer there for a half-day or full day during your vacation. Just fill out the form in advance so they can run a background check. With 15 minutes of instruction, many volunteer opportunities are simple enough at GKTW to make a child's time there special.

We talked that there are rough plans for another DISMeet somewhere in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area tentatively for next June-ish (exact location and date TBD). tiggerdad is spearheading that effort so keep an eye on the Camping Community Board for future info.

In conclusion I was overwhelmed to be given a few thank-you momentos that I will take pix of and share tomorrow (after daylight returns). And I got a few Meadow Trading Post souvenirs to share. Tomorrow morning I go to get the new tire work done on the truck so the morning puzzle activity will be on Arc's site.

Bama Ed
DISMeet Chairman (Retired)

PS - I'm passing the "DISMeet Chairman" title to tiggerdad (the youngster).

Love that “tell what your DIS name means bit”! That must’ve been fun! Well done, ED!! I know that those there in attendance will certainly be thankful for all the work you put in (and your perseverance in making it come together in this unprecedented environment). I am not even there, but I thank you for making this opportunity to follow from home possible! Enjoy the fruits of your labor and your second “retirement” in as many months 😁

Ed I need to take exception with something you said in your last post. "... (If you count Mallory) ... . THE ROCK STAR has a far larger following than you and the opportunity to be in her presence was the biggest reason for many to be in attendance.

One of subjects at this evening meet up. We have been in discussion on the community board about possible Dismeet next year in Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge area during summer. Ill repost on that thread and bring it back up to top.

We always enjoy these and I highly encourage others to join when possible.

Well since Ed had to get his tire replaced, we were given the honor of hosting puzzle time this morning. Josie and I got started and soon after @PaHunter stopped by for moral support followed shortly by Jen with some delicious zucchini muffins. @Teamubr also stopped by to add commentary and moral support. This puzzle is going to be a challenge. It’s 4 individual 500 piece puzzles. The pieces are tiny!

Off to MK and then dinner at Whispering Canyon at the lodge.

Sure looked and sounded as if you all had a lot of fun yesterday! I'm really sorry I missed it.
I'll be getting in some time after lunch tomorrow. Going to take a spin over to the 1100 loop after I get set up and see who's around. I don't know where we'll be as we are in a spot with another group.
See you all tomorrow!

I woke up this morning and today feels as good as yesterday did. Air is much less humid and should be nice for a few more days. We saw tiggerdad and family head for the dock on their bikes and Arc bringing out the puzzle table but we pushed off on our errands.

Got my tires taken care of at the Disney Car Care Center.

Nice guys.

Next is the souvenirs from yesterday at the Meadow TP. Disappointed in the FW specific stuff. Or lack thereof. Limited selection spread among men, women, and kids clothing. But i will start with the haul.

Two Mickey puzzles:

I might have to see if anyone is up for a game of adult Candyland (Disney Parks version) this week.

And the FW item was a new beach towel (cant see top but it says "Camping Rules").

Years ago i had an earlier FW towel but wore it out.

Headed over to the Disney outlet store across I4 now.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter