RENT Live

xjillianpaige

adventure is out there
Is anyone else watching RENT live tonight? Moreso RENT not-so-live... They're using a lot of pre-recorded material from their dress rehearsal since "Roger" broke his ankle at rehearsal.

That said, I'm enjoying it! The music is sort of overpowering their voices. The piano in particular is VERY loud.

Any one else here?

Watching it, i LOVE rent, and I just don’t think it’s doing it justice.

However some have great voices and overall I’m enjoying it.

I’m just about to start watching it on the DVR...getting a late start b/c I wasn’t home in time...I’m soooooo excited!!!! La Vie Bohème!!!! :D :D :D :D

Underwhelming. The vocals are mostly weak. Maureen's performance was way too much drama but her singing was good. The sound engineering is not good - balance is off between vocals and accompaniment. We saw the Broadway production twice and regularly watch the film. So far this doesn't come close in quality. I was really hoping to be blown away but I would rate this as just OK.

Watching now! I've never been a huge fan of the show, but I always love to see how they produce these 'live' musicals. Never live in my current time zone though! I'm loving the sets and the live audience. Someone I went to high school with is in the show! In regards to Roger's broken foot, Vanessa probably wants to say to him, "Man up! My father died the day before Grease Live and I still went on!" Anxiously awaiting Vanessa's arrival!

Watching it. It’s ok, but certainly not as good as the movie. Some if the scenes have been pretty good, others are falling flat for me, like Maureen’s rally.

The piano is SO LOUD, but at least the audience has quieted down since the earlier scenes.

Not watching. Not a fan of this show. Just watched to catch a few moments of Valentina. He was ok.

I totally forgot until we’ll into the second act. I’m hoping it’ll be available on demand or on Hulu tomorrow. I’ve probably seen Rent on Broadway 20 times haha.

I was never a fan of the movie despite having almost the entire original cast. For some reason it just didn’t gel. One thing I think this live version is doing well is making it look like 1990 without looking cheesy and dated. It definitely looks like if the 90s came back full swing in 2019. I think the movie suffered from seeming really dated in 2005.

While DW and I were dating we saw Rent on Broadway. She liked it, I didn't. I wasn't a fan of the subject matter and couldn't care less about the characters' lives and problems.

DW was watching for a while but gave up after the first hour to watch something else. She said the show just didn't have it anymore.

Is anyone else watching RENT live tonight? Moreso RENT not-so-live... They're using a lot of pre-recorded material from their dress rehearsal since "Roger" broke his ankle at rehearsal.

That said, I'm enjoying it! The music is sort of overpowering their voices. The piano in particular is VERY loud.

Any one else here?

I met Brennin Hunt, the actor playing Roger, a few years ago at a photo workshop in Nashville. He is good friends with the photographer, and he was brought in as our model. I'm still Facebook friends with him, and he's been so excited to be a part of this production. I feel terrible for him. I know he has to be heartbroken that his injury prevented him from being in the live part tonight. Sounds like they worked around it, but I'm sure it still is a huge disappointment.

That being said, I'm not a fan of musicals, but I'll probably watch bits and pieces of Brennin's performance at some point.

I enjoy Broadway shows and have liked the previous live versions of shows. I've never seen Rent, and haven't listened to the soundtrack. The only song I recognize is Seasons of Love. But I've heard how great Rent is and was looking forward to the show. Although not exactly disappointed, I did feel let down. I thought the singing and staging were great, but I didn't "feel" the story. I didn't get any "sparks" from any of the couples. It was almost like they were going through the motions.

I did not have any problems hearing the voices over the music. I wonder if those that did have problems were listening to a stereo feed or surround sound. If you were using only the speakers on your TV, you were listening to stereo. I'm not sure how a soundbar would do. I have a 5.1 system and thought the mix was pretty good. The only time I had problems was when the audience was yelling during one of the songs in the second act.

I think the next live show should be Les Mis. :)

I started watching it, but turned it off after about half an hour. Obviously, I'd heard marvelous things about the musical, so I was looking forward to it. But then when I was watching it, I couldn't get into it--get a job, pay your rent, stop whining! Maybe I've gotten too old for this kind of thing, I don't know. I just couldn't bring myself to care about the characters and their non-problems. I was very disappointed--I loved the live version of "Jesus Christ, Superstar".

I kept thinking through the performance about how this was actually a rehearsal that wasn't planned to be broadcast. So while I enjoyed parts of it, I have to think some energy was lost because it was a rehearsal.

In regards to Roger's broken foot, Vanessa probably wants to say to him, "Man up! My father died the day before Grease Live and I still went on!" Anxiously awaiting Vanessa's arrival!

Haha. Did you see the end? That wasn't something you could man up through! I had to laugh, his cast looked like duct tape to me.

I’m just about to start watching it on the DVR...getting a late start b/c I wasn’t home in time...I’m soooooo excited!!!! La Vie Bohème!!!! :D :D :D :D

I enjoy Broadway shows and have liked the previous live versions of shows. I've never seen Rent, and haven't listened to the soundtrack...

I think the next live show should be Les Mis. :)

I DVR'd it as well, and am looking forward to watching, as I've never seen the play either, but like the songs I've heard.

And Les Mis would be great - I love that one!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter