Rent My Points on the Boards or With an Agency??

EIU110

Earning My Ears
Our recent AK resale purchase came loaded with points for 2021 that we can not use. We are looking to rent the expiring ones, expire May 31, 2022. Wondering the pros and cons of renting myself on the boards vs using DVC Rental Store?

Our recent AK resale purchase came loaded with points for 2021 that we can not use. We are looking to rent the expiring ones, expire May 31, 2022. Wondering the pros and cons of renting myself on the boards vs using DVC Rental Store?
Renting thru an agency is relatively painless. You tell them how many points you have, your home resort and when the points expire. They match you with a renter. You book the reservation in the renter's name, send the confirmation to the broker, and they send the confirmation number to the renter. You get paid a percentage of what you're due immediately and then get the balance after the renter checks in. The drawbacks are that some rental agencies have a force majeure clause in their rental agreement that places the owner responsible for any resort closures and requires a refund of all monies received by the owner. Rental agencies also pay the owners less than they can get by renting privately.

Doing the renting on your own can be time consuming. You will get a number of inquiries before you get a renter. Most non-owners don't understand the DVC system and it can take patience to guide them thru the process. Some potential renters will want to negotiate the price. If you are renting privately, you set the terms and conditions. Everything from price per point to payment terms, refunds, rescheduling and force majeure conditions are yours to define. And since every rental is a separate transaction, you can change the terms of each rental based on a variety of factors, such a offering to reschedule a trip once if the points have a while before expiration or a "no changes/no refunds" clause if the points are distressed.

Renting thru an agency is relatively painless. You tell them how many points you have, your home resort and when the points expire. They match you with a renter. You book the reservation in the renter's name, send the confirmation to the broker, and they send the confirmation number to the renter. You get paid a percentage of what you're due immediately and then get the balance after the renter checks in. The drawbacks are that some rental agencies have a force majeure clause in their rental agreement that places the owner responsible for any resort closures and requires a refund of all monies received by the owner. Rental agencies also pay the owners less than they can get by renting privately.

Doing the renting on your own can be time consuming. You will get a number of inquiries before you get a renter. Most non-owners don't understand the DVC system and it can take patience to guide them thru the process. Some potential renters will want to negotiate the price. If you are renting privately, you set the terms and conditions. Everything from price per point to payment terms, refunds, rescheduling and force majeure conditions are yours to define. And since every rental is a separate transaction, you can change the terms of each rental based on a variety of factors, such a offering to reschedule a trip once if the points have a while before expiration or a "no changes/no refunds" clause if the points are distressed.

Very helpful! Thank you!

I would try and transfer those points to another DVC member 1st.
I would try and transfer those points to another DVC member on the " DVC rent/trade " forum. You can get the same amount of money as you would if you rented them with the difference being the person who purchases them from you can do their own booking , banking etc. and you don't have to worry about a " clause" in a rental agency contract.

I would try and transfer those points to another DVC member 1st.

I would try and transfer those points to another DVC member on the " DVC rent/trade " forum. You can get the same amount of money as you would if you rented them with the difference being the person who purchases them from you can do their own booking , banking etc. and you don't have to worry about a " clause" in a rental agency contract.
I think half of those 2021 points were banked from 2020. The OP cannot transfer banked points and those are the ones that will expire on May 31, 2022.

I think half of those 2021 points were banked from 2020. The OP cannot transfer banked points and those are the ones that will expire on May 31, 2022.
Ok, I would try and transfer any points that are eligible to be transferred 1st. If not I would try and rent them myself for at least what an agency would pay for them on the forum site here.

Correct. These are 2020 points banked into 2021. We already have a few trips planned and can’t use these ”bonus points”.

Thanks to all!

I will share with you my experience as a first time renter (3.5 years ago). I had a wonderful person rent to us - but she definitely spent at LEAST 10 hours back and forth with me explaining wth I was doing and how it all worked. She was amazing - we had to resched because my fil ended up in the hospital 2 weeks before we were to go.

I've now referred her (and her points) to multiple friends - which is great for me and great for her. But looking back, I think - if it were me - I'd probably just go with a rental service because you won't have to answer ten bazillion questions. :)

So far, I have been very happy using an online company to rent our points.
Took very little time on my end and got paid very quickly.
We had too many points left from losing 2 trips last year, so renting or converting to RCI were our only choices.
Banking would put too many points going forward.

I started off listing my points in 2019 with a US website broker, a few weeks later my points still weren’t sold via transfer or rented out so I decided to DIY and wound up enjoying playing TA, more takehome$ and no 1099. So try DIY and if you hate the hassle then have the websites do it for ya.

I started with a broker (2-3 bookings) then posted on the rental disboards, renting out my own points.

It’s actually fun to work directly with your renters.... it’s as if I’m on vacation vicariously! I don’t mind answering the questions and providing advice.

yes, there are stressors (I get worried that something will go wrong) but after 5years of renting excess points (1-2 trips/yr), it’s been fine thus far!

I did it myself on the boards recently and will never go back to using an agency. Sure it was a little extra work, but I got to set the price and enjoyed writing back and forth with the families who were using my points. 250 expiring points had been listed with Davids for months and I had them gone within a few days using the boards.

13-yrs DVC but I would be a first-time renter.
For those who have rented their own:
- Are there samples of rental agreements?
- Any checklists to ensure everything is addressed?

IF we choose to use a service for this first time, to avoid hassle, time, risk, which agency would you recommend?

Thank you in advance!

With one exception, I have always rented out my extra points on the rent/trade board. Requires some effort, but not unbearable. After all you'll get more money in your pocket this way, My one experience with using an agency, was at the beginning of the pandemic last year and I just did not like the agency only giving the renter a voucher for future travel when I returned the cash to the agency for a refund because WDW was shut down.

For those that rented your points out on the board, how did you accept payment?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter