Rent points instead of transfer?

allison k

I'm a lurker, not a poster!
Hello all! I have a trip booked a split stay for early August and in talking with my kids, we were thinking we'd rather be in a 1BR instead of a studio at one of our resorts. Currently, there is availability, but with the 50% borrowing limit, I'm short points. Initially, I was thinking of transferring points through the Rent/Transfer board or the DVC store. But knowing how tough it's been to get through to MS, I'm worried the potential delay in trying to reach them could make me lose out on the reservation I want. So I was thinking that maybe I could rent the points and have the other member make the reservation for me. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Do I "lose" by having another member make a reservation for me?

Thanks all! I love coming to the Dis and lurking when I've got a vacation to plan!

If you are certain about your plans, renting is a good choice right now. I paid for transferred points on Tuesday and the owner still hasn’t gotten through on the phone to transfer them. I suspect they aren’t trying as hard as they could because I’ve gotten through during that time, but in any event I’m still waiting.

I hope for your sake they are going to follow through. I’m not sure what’s in your contract, but what conditions do you have in place to make sure you are getting your points? I’m asking cause most points are transferred with a 3 way call and then the money is sent...

Last edited:
Hello all! I have a trip booked a split stay for early August and in talking with my kids, we were thinking we'd rather be in a 1BR instead of a studio at one of our resorts. Currently, there is availability, but with the 50% borrowing limit, I'm short points. Initially, I was thinking of transferring points through the Rent/Transfer board or the DVC store. But knowing how tough it's been to get through to MS, I'm worried the potential delay in trying to reach them could make me lose out on the reservation I want. So I was thinking that maybe I could rent the points and have the other member make the reservation for me. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Do I "lose" by having another member make a reservation for me?

Thanks all! I love coming to the Dis and lurking when I've got a vacation to plan!
How many points are you short? and which resort? I would honestly go fora transfer depending on the amount of points. You could have them book for you too but make sure to do your homework and have all your details listed in your contract for what happens if the place gets shut down again. Good luck!

If you are certain about your plans, renting is a good choice right now. I paid for transferred points on Tuesday and the owner still hasn’t gotten through on the phone to transfer them. I suspect they aren’t trying as hard as they could because I’ve gotten through during that time, but in any event I’m still waiting.

That's what I'm worried about. I've seen how much effort it takes to get a call into member services, and I would hate for that delay make me miss out on a reservation. I'm a nurse, so I'm not able to spend 45 minutes on hold after hitting redial continuously.

How many points are you short? and which resort? I would honestly go fora transfer depending on the amount of points. You could have them book for you too but make sure to do your homework and have all your details listed in your contract for what happens if the place gets shut down again. Good luck!
I'm short about 95 points - and only have 24 points left I can borrow. I'm hoping to get a 1BR AKV Savannah view. I was thinking of renting points for the first part of our trip - a standard studio at the Poly - and then using those points to modify our AKV reservation. It's just me and my 2 kids this trip, so a studio is fine. But I'd really like the second bathroom and in-room laundry.

I like the idea of the transfer because if something happens and we have to cancel, I can bank the points for next year or use them out here at the Grand Californian. It's seeing the reports of issues getting through to MS that has me nervous.

Reactions: cm8
With that amount of points, I hop on the rent / trade board and seek out the resort and points you’re looking for! Make sure, you note the dates of the points and agree to a 3 way call to have the transfer occur. Then make payment for said transfer. Put all the details in your contract, Not sure of the current hold times but each time I have completed a transfer it was done instantly and all parties were satisfied by the end of the calls... Good luck!

I hope for your sake they are going to follow through. I’m not sure if your contract, but what conditions do you have in place to make sure you are getting your points? I’m asking cause most points are transferred with a 3 way call and then the money is sent...

If I transfer I require pay,ent upfront and then call and do it. Once points are transferred no getting them back.

Some do take 50% and then another 50%...or do it as listed above, I don’t think there is a usual way.

Trust with transfers is key...but, given the phone lines, I would not go that route. To be honest, I don’t think as an owner I’d even offer unless I was prepared to wait it out On hold.

To OP, Renting is The better option to get what you want faster...but, if something happens, you are probably out money.

Nothing should be "lost" to you if you rent a reservation from another member. Did you have something in mind that you think would be?

I hope for your sake they are going to follow through. I’m not sure what’s in your contract, but what conditions do you have in place to make sure you are getting your points? I’m asking cause most points are transferred with a 3 way call and then the money is sent...

I require payment for transfers up front and then I call and transfer the points. I actually think that is what the majority of owners require and what you state is pretty rare. I know some will go with 50% before and 50% after. When you think about it from a renters side there's really no difference between sending payment for a transfer or sending for a rental which the owner will have control over up until the day you check in. In both cases you rely on the owner to follow thru with the agreement.

^^^Good to know! On another site, this is how they transfer, so I was not aware it was that different until you both made me aware of it 😅
I’ve always transferred that way with no issues prior but going forward, I might consider using it the way it’s done here!

I was going to purchase a transfer for an extra day on my trip- the same situation with the borrowing issue-I couldn't imagine tasking someone to call for a transfer so I rented...it was only 21 points and got a confirmation within 5 minutes and then paid after linking to MDE

We have 147 BRV APR 2020 Use year points, that WDW will not let us bank (EXP
March 2021). Listed with David's. I suspect a lot of DVC owner's are in the same boat. Point transfer would be a lot more attractive to us.

I did two transfers via 3-way call to MS about a month ago (before hold times got ridiculous) and what worked well for both parties is that I send my PayPal information ahead of time to the transferee and the night before, they would send me $1 for a trial run. Then, just before the call, both of us had our PayPal screens open and ready to go. Once MS confirmed on the 3-way call that my account had the points available for transfer and the transferee's account was eligible, the transferee hit "Send" on her PayPal screen and I could see her payment immediately. I then instructed MS to please transfer the points.

Once I have confirmation that the transfer is completed, I drop off the call since in both cases, they want to immediately use the transferred points for a reservation. This way, both parties feel a little more in control of a situation that involves complete strangers. And of course, we agreed that there should be no mention of money while on the call. Unlike rentals, I don't use a contract for transfers since it's a one-shot final transaction, so to build trust, I usually have a short phone conversation with the other member ahead of time and it really helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter