• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rent through Disboards/Facebook or a rental company?

bookgirl2632

DIS Veteran
I’m planning on renting points for the first time for our xxxxxx (details removed) trip. I’ve researched several websites that broker the deal for you, but I was wondering if it’s better to do it through Disboards or one of the Facebook groups I’ve seen. I know that if I do it on my own, I need to be careful and investigate the owner to protect myself. I was just hoping to hear some personal accounts about the pros and cons of either renting from one of the websites or directly from the owners.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m planning on renting points for the first time for our xxxxxx (details removed) trip. I’ve researched several websites that broker the deal for you, but I was wondering if it’s better to do it through Disboards or one of the Facebook groups I’ve seen. I know that if I do it on my own, I need to be careful and investigate the owner to protect myself. I was just hoping to hear some personal accounts about the pros and cons of either renting from one of the websites or directly from the owners.

Thanks for any advice!
Beware that points rentals are generally nonrefundable and you will likely be unable to insure the trip. If someone in your party gets sick or something else comes up that causes you to have to cancel you’re going to be out the money.

Beware that points rentals are generally nonrefundable and you will likely be unable to insure the trip. If someone in your party gets sick or something else comes up that causes you to have to cancel you’re going to be out the money.

That is not always true. You need to ask the renter the change or refund policy. For example, I rent points and will change or modify the date as long as it is within the DVC rules and booking windows, but dont offer a cash refund. Insurance is not worth the expense for DVC rentals unless you are buying a overall package that covers health, and air etc.

If you are worried about cancelling then booking direct with Disney is the only option for 100% refunds

DVC points have a set use life (usually less than one year) and once the start date hits, they need to be used or banked before the deadline or they are worthless.

Personally, I would not use Facebook for any financial transactions. Too many scams and trolls out there. I would want the security of a professional rental company.

Thanks for any advice!
If you have never rented before, I think that going through one of the brokers, like DVCRentalStore.com, is a good route for novices to take. Your reservation will be guaranteed to be there for you or you will get your money back. And unlike other brokers, they offer an option to reschedule your trip within the next 2 years with their "stress-free cancelation policy", which is included in your rental.

Of course, when you rent directly from an owner on the disboards you will find a lower price/point. And you will have the luxury of knowing that owner has points at the resort you want because that's how they are advertised. Each owner sets their own terms regarding payments, refunds and changes. You may find one who is quite flexible, within the limits of point expirations and availability.

Personally, I would not use Facebook for any financial transactions. Too many scams and trolls out there. I would want the security of a professional rental company.
We have used dvcrequest.com. They seem far cheaper than dvcrentalstore. We are looking at booking an existing reservation through them at VGC for August. About $1,400 per night for 2 bed vs $2,200 from dvcrentalstore.

I have rented points several times. It's a matter of your comfortability. To me, the assurance of a broker (aka going through one of the websites) and knowing I won't get scammed means enough to me to pay the negligible difference. However other people feel differently. It just depends on your comfortability level.

Unless you know someone personally, I would go through a broker. Mostly successful transactions but there have been a few scammers over the years. Good luck@=!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter