Rental Car Damage

jwinky

Mouseketeer
I wanted to share my experience when our rental car got damaged and hope it helps a future traveler. This is the first time it has happen to all years renting cars and I was a bit lost on how to handle things.

Incident:
We stayed at Aulani in March 2023 with a rental car. On our 4th night, we discovered a rather large scratch on one of our doors in the Aulani parking garage. The only thing we knew that the car that attempted to park poorly was white with the paint left on our car door. They did not leave a note and obviously moved their car somewhere else.

What Aulani did:
We tried to report this with security at Aulani and they claimed they had no cameras and called police to make a report. Aulani really did not offer any help beside calling the police. We stopped by guest services at least 3-4 times asking for a hotel report for my insurance claim. They first gave me a 800 number for guest claims to get the hotel report that was for Disneyland that went no where when I called. After our fourth visit at Aulani guest service, they eventually told us the police report would suffice. I'm surprise that they claim no cameras, so be careful leaving valuables in the car if it gets broken in.

What Car Rental company did:
I had rented the car at HNL. Since I was completely lost, I actually stopped by the Enterprise Rental Center at Aulani to ask my next steps. The representative told me that I need to drop off my car 15-20 minutes earlier on the schedule return time at HNL to file an incident report. It took the rental car damage department around 40 days to provide me the total cost of damages.

What Insurance company did:
I luckily booked my rental with Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) and started my claim with them. They are specific timeframes on when you can report and submit your documentation. I'm happy to report that they already issued the check to rental car damage department and it is closed out after 45 days. I had no out of pocket expenses.
The documents I submitted were: 1. Rental car confirmation 2. Police report index card that had the report ID (I actually did not have to get the actually police report). 3. Photos of the damages. 4. Rental car incident report with claim number. 5. Final bill from rental car damage department.

Some Observations:
  • If this happens to you, get a police report immediately. It will document that damage happened. If the hotel won't provide you any incident report, then at least the police report will suffice.
  • Take 2-3 photos of the damages.
  • The rental car representative when we first picked up the car told us to take photos of any damages you see so you don't get charged with the damages. That is good advise as the car did have some minor dents when we picked it up. The damages we reported did not include those dents.
  • I will book rental cars with CSR card. Since I have CSR, the damage waiver (as primary insurance) is included in my credit card as a benefit. You can always claim through your own car insurance but might require a deductible. The rental car companies also provide damage waiver coverage, but it is an added cost which might be worth it.
  • We suspected the car that damage us was also another rental car with damage waiver coverage. So since they had coverage, they don't care about the other vehicle they damaged. When talking to a DVC representative about our ordeal, he said he use to work at another hotel where hotel guests and employees shared the same parking garage. He said he had lots of dents on his car door and really didn't like it.
  • Aulani parking garage is tight. That's everywhere in Oahu. We had a sedan and we had parked with ample space for our neighbor. I'm not sure if we would park differently. We just got unlucky this go around.
  • Although this incident interfere with our dinner plans that evening, we were able to make the most of the situation. We still had a fabulous time in Oahu.

I appreciate that you shared your experience.
We always book a rental with CSP and wondered about the process if something actually happened.
Glad to hear they got it resolved quickly.

Ditto PP. Thanks for sharing. It’s good for me to hear things like this so I don’t feel so lost if something similar happen. Glad you still got to have a great trip!

I went to HNL last month. Rented a car with a HUGE scratch and missing roof brake light cover. The rep said she would note those on the computer, but I asked her to take photos using my phone (she got a tall ladder). When I returned it, they asked if I got photo proof. Sounds like they didn't have any note in their system or didn't care about the note. The first rep didn't see the missing light cover in my photos, and a second rep came and saw it. I was so glad that I asked them to take photos at pickup. Make sure you take photos of the whole car, top to bottom, front to back, and the interior!

I went to HNL last month. Rented a car with a HUGE scratch and missing roof brake light cover. The rep said she would note those on the computer, but I asked her to take photos using my phone (she got a tall ladder). When I returned it, they asked if I got photo proof. Sounds like they didn't have any note in their system or didn't care about the note. The first rep didn't see the missing light cover in my photos, and a second rep came and saw it. I was so glad that I asked them to take photos at pickup. Make sure you take photos of the whole car, top to bottom, front to back, and the interior!
I usually do a video when I get the car, a walkaround and if I see any dents or damage, I say it and describe it out loud. I also note the date and the time I am making the recording and video the surroundings so there is no question that I have not yet moved or driven the car.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I always use my Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card to book travel related tickets, including the car rentals. CSR credit card is one of the best for providing primary car rental coverage. I'm glad everything worked out for you.

HI is a no-fault insurance state. I wonder how that changes the process? Glad your CC covered it. I always make sure whatever CC I am carrying covers RC damage. Pretty sure I am covered with my personal car insurance too, though, like you, it has never come up. I am adamant about declining the car rental insurance though - it's pretty worthless if you are already covered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter