• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rental Car Question in Vancouver BC

dmagru

Earning My Ears
Looking at renting a car from Hertz since we are arriving at 11:30am on September 10. We are staying at a Holiday Inn at Broadway. Which is not near the cruise terminal. My question is that can I drop my future wife off at the terminal with the luggage. So, I can drop the car off at Seymour Street Vancouver Hertz car rental facility and walk back a couple blocks to the terminal. This is the first time ever renting a car. I thought about doing a uber. But would like to tour the city and since arriving early with 4 checked bags on our flight. We can't check in early at our hotel. Any good suggestions would be appreciated. We are trying to start our Honeymoon off on the right track. We have PAT at 11:15 to 11:30 and BG 9.

Have you checked to see if the hotel can hold your bags for you until check in time. I know that some will do that for you. We used that feature when we stayed at the Radisson Hotel Vancouver Airport before our return flight home after the cruise.

Otherwise, I would suggest figuring out what parts of the city you want to explore and figure out if a car is needed to get you there. Between the Skytrain, Taxi's, the Hop-On Hop-Off Tour Bus, and quite a few things being within walking distance of the cruise terminal/downtown getting around without a vehicle was very easy. We spent two days there before our cruise and not once wished we had rented a car.

Psy

Have you checked to see if the hotel can hold your bags for you until check in time. I know that some will do that for you. We used that feature when we stayed at the Radisson Hotel Vancouver Airport before our return flight home after the cruise.

Otherwise, I would suggest figuring out what parts of the city you want to explore and figure out if a car is needed to get you there. Between the Skytrain, Taxi's, the Hop-On Hop-Off Tour Bus, and quite a few things being within walking distance of the cruise terminal/downtown getting around without a vehicle was very easy. We spent two days there before our cruise and not once wished we had rented a car.

Psy
I agree. We were in Vancouver for 3 days after our cruise with my DS8 and we just used Uber and public transit to get around and see everything. Most hotels will hold onto your luggage until your room is ready.

I'm not certain I understand your question completely....however, the Holiday Inn should be fine to hold your bags before your room is available. I certainly wouldn't leave them in the rental car, even in Vancouver we have break-ins, etc. If you can wield your luggage on your own, you can take Canada Line to your hotel and walk a few blocks west after getting off at the Broadway/City Hall stop.

Re: dropping your wife at the terminal, yes, you absolutely can - you would probably want to drive down to P2 and do all the luggage dropoff, then walk back to the terminal after dropping off your rental car. It's not too far.

We have been to Vancouver departing and arriving on cruises (both one way sailings) and I have also been there for work. It has been a few years but I'm sure that the Holiday Inn you mentioned is the one I stayed at for the work trip. We only used a rental car on one of the trips. and that one we did a few days in near the port and only had the car the first few hours after arriving in town (drove up from Seattle). Never had a car when stayed at the Holiday Inn and did fine getting to and from the airport, work and touring on the one free day we had in the work schedule. Very possible to do the main touristy things without a car in Vancouver.

Happy to give any specific answers but you didn't mention how many days you had to tour Vancouver. From that specific hotel, Granville Island is easy to get to since it is essentially right down the street. From there, most of the other attractions/sights are across the bridge into the main part of town and by Stanley Park (if you can be there for the evening cannon firing it is a bonus). If you have more than a day or two, then the car might make sense but otherwise Uber/Lyft or some other mode of transport. The train from the airport to downtown station is a couple of blocks over. With the bags you might not want to do the train but you could, and it would work very well to get into see the sights from the Holiday Inn.

Happy planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter