• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rental Car question on when payment is taken

GillianP1301

DIS Veteran
I have multiple rental car reservations at the moment, each done with the rewards program for each that has all my credit card info stored so that I can skip the counter and go straight to garage. None are re-paid and have payment due at time of rental. I understand that they place a hold on your credit card for the estimated amount of the rental + a hold fee (different with each provider). What I don't know for sure is when does that get applied, is it after I leave the garage with the car and they scan my reservation? Or is it based at all on the time I say I'm picking up the car. I just want to avoid being in a situation where multiple holds get placed on my card on the day we arrive. I will likely keep 2 or 3 reservations in case there is an issue with my first choice or two (just basing this on issues I'm hearing about cars not being available and/or super long lines, etc...).

In my experiences it's been mostly when you leave the lot with the car. However National did not charge or place a hold on my card until after I returned it last month, then they charged my card the full amount.
I would not be concerned at all about there not being a car as long as you're using one of the major companies. I was at MCO last month and there were plenty of cars for all of the companies I could see. There was no line at the National desk when I stopped in to see if they had to verify my card there or out in the garage.

I have multiple rental car reservations at the moment, each done with the rewards program for each that has all my credit card info stored so that I can skip the counter and go straight to garage. None are re-paid and have payment due at time of rental. I understand that they place a hold on your credit card for the estimated amount of the rental + a hold fee (different with each provider). What I don't know for sure is when does that get applied, is it after I leave the garage with the car and they scan my reservation? Or is it based at all on the time I say I'm picking up the car. I just want to avoid being in a situation where multiple holds get placed on my card on the day we arrive. I will likely keep 2 or 3 reservations in case there is an issue with my first choice or two (just basing this on issues I'm hearing about cars not being available and/or super long lines, etc...).
With Alamo, the credit card hold application time has varied. Picking up at MCO with skip the counter, they usually applied the estimated rental amount when leaving the garage. Picking up at the Car Care Center or the Dolphin rental desk (which may still be closed), they have usually pre-assigned the car first thing in the morning on the day of rental and placed a hold on my CC at that time. In any case, actual charges have not posted until dropping off the car. Only one post-Covid rental, at MCO, so a very small sample size.

I will likely keep 2 or 3 reservations in case there is an issue with my first choice or two (just basing this on issues I'm hearing about cars not being available and/or super long lines, etc...).
Doing this makes the exact problem you're describing even worse. As a courtesy to other travelers, you really shouldn't be making a pile of reservations that you don't plan on using.

Doing this makes the exact problem you're describing even worse. As a courtesy to other travelers, you really shouldn't be making a pile of reservations that you don't plan on using.

That's a very valid point. I'm just a bit nervous. Having 2 reservations is not exactly a pile of them. I'll just stick with my best 2 reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter