Rental Car Size Please Help

mommyto2girls

Earning My Ears
I have always rented a luxury size car this time I am renting a Full size , I am driving from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando and back to Fort Lauderdale again. Will 3 people and 3 large suitcases fit in a Full Size vehicle. Avis gave me an example of a Chevy Impala or Buick Century. Should I spend the extra money and get a premium size car? All you car experts please I am leaving in 2 days..Thanks.

Keep in mind that "full size" at Avis and National also means cars like the Chevy Malibu (smaller and not as nice as a Regal). The "premium" car would typically be a LeSabre which is a bit wider and has a bigger trunk. If you have more than 4 in your group, I'd go for the "premium".

I think the biggest issue would be trunk size with 3 large suitcases. You may have to throw one of the suitcases in the backseat, but that should still leave you with plenty of room for you & your passengers. In a "full size" car 4 people with luggage has been crowded, and we have squeezed 5 people with luggage in once, with folks holding luggage on their laps.

I think you will fit without any problem. We have had a full size car from National on our Last 2 trips. Last time was an Intrepid. Here is what we fit.........

2 adults, 2 kids (in car seats), 3 HUGE duffel bags that hold as much as the largest suitcase I've ever seen, 2 smaller checked bags, a large double stroller, a backpack, and three other carry-on pieces of luggage - oh, and 4 winter coats and a partridge in a pear tree. Yeah, we had to squeeze, but we made it.

Worst case in your situation is that you have to put a suitcase in the back seat. A premium/luxury car would be nice, but if you don't want to spend the extra you can fit in a full size.

Keep in mind even within the full size class the car sizes can vary as others have said here.. Full size can range from a Chevy Malibu (which to me is similar in size to a Grand Am) all the way up to an Intrepid which has a very large trunk for it's class. We rented a full size from National a couple times and one time we got a Buick Regal and had to fill up the front seat with stuff on our one way trip to Orlando from Ft. Lauderdale. This was travelling with one toddler (at the time) and then on another trip we got an Intrepid and everything fit in the trunk including the stroller. If your rear seat passenger doesn't mind sharing the seat with some luggage you should be OK. If you want, or need that room IN the car you may want to cover your bases and get a larger car up front as the upgrade charges at the counter tend to be astronomical.

Thank you all so much for the quick replies. Avis only rents GM cars so I have no shot at getting an Intrepid. I think I will upgrade to the Premium. I got really good rates using Costco discount. It is a 2 week rental for $360 Including all taxes and surcharges for the Full Size and $440 for the Premium. I will stress for a few more hours and then probably book the Premium!
Any more ideas please let me know. Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter