Rental Car ~ waiting until the last minute to book!

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi there! We are flying to MCO from Toronto April 20th for 10 nights at WDW. We will rent a car. Everything is booked except the car. I can't get over the higher than last yr cost! I got an SUV at Hertz last year for about $200USF. Since I am paying Canadian dollars I haev to pay 1.60 exch. So when you said $200 USF, I think $320.00 Canadian. I habe never paid more than $300 Canadian for a car. This April we will rent 10 days, the extra 3 days is a killer. I have been surfing the rental car sites and freg trips to mousesavers and I can baerely see a compact car for under $400 Canadian (10 days). I am not one to leave ANYTHING to the last minute, but I am thinking of waiting for a last minute deal this time. What do you think? Should I just book something now and wait for lower rates? THX

I recommend that you book the best deal that you can right now. Then keep looking for something better. If nothing better comes up, at least you will have a car. You can always cancel that first reservation.

According to what I've read in various newspapers, the major rental companies have reduced the size of their fleets (reaction to 9/11 and the economy) and raised their prices. You may not be able to find as good a price as you had last year.

Best of luck, though! Hope you find something that meets your needs for a good price.

I would not wait till the last minute to book. Reserve now, you can always change your reservation

Have you tried DC discount, AP discount, ent. discount thru Nationals website?

Also, L and M seem to be the least expensive these days.

jherc

i noticed the prices on orbitz.com and onetravel.com have come down about 30-40$ today. i'm waiting for april res. cuz the prices have been crazy.

I too would go ahead and book with one of the on airport rental companies right now. I would then check every 2 to 3 days to see if the rates have dropped. I have seen the rates drop closer to my trips and I have seen them rise. A bird in the hand, well, you know. We have Avis Preferred and the Emerald Club with National and have never had any issues with either of these companies at the MCO location. You can get less expensive rates off airport but the I don't think that the hassle is worth it when dealing with a car rental. This is true at most airports. Hope things work out to your satisfaction.

It is very expensive for the rental companies to transport cars "home" after they have been used for a one-way rental. In the wake of 9/11, most companies opted to sell many of their stranded cars rather than pay to have them re-located. That was a huge loss, so I'm expecting that rates will be pretty rotten for the whole year.

That said, the websites are still offering last-minute deals. There is no penalty for cancelling a rental ressie, so go ahead and reserve the best you can find, then keep checking right up until departure; you can always cancel the original ressie if you get a better deal.

three weeks have gone by since i started my "quest" for lowest car rental rates for May trip (3rd-13th). at the start i was receiving rates of more than double what we paid for 10 days in nov. 2000. after applying every code and coupon imaginable i have a reservation that is 1/3 higher than 2000. same company as 2000 (national) but rates constantly changing. i'm going to keep trying right up until our trip. meanwhile we have a car while shopping!

three weeks have gone by since i started my "quest" for lowest car rental rates for May trip (3rd-13th). at the start i was receiving rates of more than double what we paid for 10 days in nov. 2000. after applying every code and coupon imaginable i have a reservation that is 1/3 higher than 2000. same company as 2000 (national) but rates constantly changing. i'm going to keep trying right up until our trip. meanwhile we have a car while shopping!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter