Rental cars?

Thanks. Unfortunately we don’t have access to additional or better discounts. The other programs we are entitled to (USAA, etc) or looked into are actually more than Costco.

I think we booked too close to travel to see the lower prices others are quoting above.

I agree it may just be easier to keep a vehicle all week, though with this being our first trip to Aulani and paying rack right prices for a one bedroom my husband and I feel fairly strongly that we want to spend a lot of our time enjoying the amenities of the resort/nearby area and our family will enjoy that very much. So we’re only thinking of venturing out at most two days out of our week since one of those days is really taken up with arrival (landing at 12:30pm), we’re really only there for six full days.

Bummer we can’t get free parking after spending so much on the rental and 11K on the cash reservation for Aulani.

After spending cash on a one bedroom at Aulani for this July trip and at Riviera the past two thanksgiving 10-day trips I am beginning to question why we are not just DVC members… Every time I do the math I just can’t get past how the annual dues end up changing the equation and timeline for the breakeven point! I also worry about the ability to actually book what I want with DVC because it seemed there was a limited availability or no availability for this July for DVC members when I wanted to book it. I would’ve had to know we wanted to do this trip for sure at 11 months out if an Aulani owner and at 7 if another home resort owner. And then it’s still questionable availability it seems - I especially worry about it with Riviera which is where I would want my home resort. With the resale restrictions how will there be availability to book if resale contracts can’t book anywhere else?

Anyway, I’m off topic… Early morning ramblings. Just disappointed I can’t find a better deal on car rental and flights aren’t exactly a bargain. But Google flights show we booked flights in the “lower price” of the average prices for this timeframe 😊
Keep checking back for prices for car rentals they usually go down around 6 weeks out of your trip. Also don't forget to factor in the cost that you're paying for round trip transfers to and from the airport to the resort. People sometimes forget to factor that in as an overall cost. There's no way around it, Hawaii is an expensive vacation and having a rental car is part of that. I also compare it to some place like going to Paris. If you stay at a prime hotel the cost is going to be high, but that doesn't mean because the cost of the hotel is high that you never leave the hotel. You are there to visit and sightsee, not to just sit at your hotel. That's the way I look at it anyway. There's no way that I'm going to fly all the way to Hawaii and just stay at my hotel because it cost a lot of money. I also think that for the way you vacation, DVC would be a good investment. After two trips to Aulani, if I would have paid cash for those stays, it would have been what I bought into DVC for. For what part of the country we live in it's cheaper for us to take a cheap Southwest airlines flight to LAX, stay the night and then fly out on Hawaiian airlines the next morning. There are ways that you can save money if you're willing to be flexible.

Last edited:
OP - I just checked last week of May - Hertz (with corporate discount)

Large Sedan $291
7 pass med SUV $430

If you search around, you can likely find a corporate discount code or other affiliated code to use.

Use undercover tourist, if you buy a ticket (can be a movie ticket). It qualifies you for the 50% off rental car discount, even for Hawaii. I saved an extra $500 vs the Costco rates I had already booked for our three island hopping rental car reservations.

This, I just learned about undercover tourist, after searching DisBoards, and it's the best option available to the public for those that don't have corporate codes they can use. In fact, I just made a booking this week, and prices were reasonable, only slightly higher than pre-pandemic pricing.

You do have to prepay though to get the prices, but it's supposedly cancellable with full refund, although I don't have experience with this part, since this is my first time booking a rental car thru Undercover Tourist.

Great3

This, I just learned about undercover tourist, after searching DisBoards, and it's the best option available to the public for those that don't have corporate codes they can use. In fact, I just made a booking this week, and prices were reasonable, only slightly higher than pre-pandemic pricing.

You do have to prepay though to get the prices, but it's supposedly cancellable with full refund, although I don't have experience with this part, since this is my first time booking a rental car thru Undercover Tourist.

Great3

I agree that the only downside is you have to pay right away. However with how they overbook car rentals estimating having a percentage of no show since they didn’t put any $ down it at least shows I’m serious and should hopefully have a car available when I show up. We had a lady on our flight who’s car reservation wasn’t honored when we landed in Bozeman at the end of the day because they ran out of cars.

I agree that the only downside is you have to pay right away. However with how they overbook car rentals estimating having a percentage of no show since they didn’t put any $ down it at least shows I’m serious and should hopefully have a car available when I show up. We had a lady on our flight who’s car reservation wasn’t honored when we landed in Bozeman at the end of the day because they ran out of cars.

Oh wow, you actually witnessed that actually happening!!! Yeah, with prepaid, I can see how that's advantageous, they should have a car reserved for you, since it's prepaid already. I take more comfort in that. And the rates aren't bad thru Undercover Tourist, it's actually reasonable, and not thru the roof. I am okay with prepaid since the rates are good enough.

Great3

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience using the Undercover Tourist car rental booking who is not a US/Canadian resident? When I went to book a car through them, it said the rate was only available to US/Canadian residents.

Use undercover tourist, if you buy a ticket (can be a movie ticket). It qualifies you for the 50% off rental car discount, even for Hawaii. I saved an extra $500 vs the Costco rates I had already booked for our three island hopping rental car reservations.

I just priced this out for our week in July. I can use my corporate account at National but my sister has to get her own - the Undercover Tourist rate at Budget was only about $15 more than my corporate rate. Also - you can buy the cheapest ticket they have to get the 50% off - I suggested a $6 AMC soda voucher.

As an aside - I urge everyone to put your flight information into your reservation. We had a long delay over the weekend which had us landing about 90 mins after Alamo closed. Since they had our flight info, the manager kept the location open for us - apparently their policy is that if they are aware of a flight delay, they will stay open up to two hours after closing.

We have been using AutoSlash for better auto rental pricing. You go to their website, enter your parameters, you'll then receive an email within a few minutes with a link to various rental sites along with their pricing.

Good luck...
Grateful you shared this website. It helps us save a couple of hundred dollars from the lowest rate we were finding. Thank-you.

Reactions: Lew
How/when does the Undercover tourist 50% off discount apply? I have a ticket and rental cars in my cart, it tells me “congrats you qualify for up to 50% off rental car” but then it shows full price when wanting me to prepay??

How/when does the Undercover tourist 50% off discount apply? I have a ticket and rental cars in my cart, it tells me “congrats you qualify for up to 50% off rental car” but then it shows full price when wanting me to prepay??
Are you choosing a Budget rental car? It’s only for that company. I was able to put a movie ticket in my cart, and then the Budget cars were shown at 50% off, so then I could put 1 of those in my cart and checkout.

Thank you guys so much for the tip about Undercover Tourist! Saved so much money. I placed my order yesterday. It is showing still processing. Is this normal?

This is the Aulani page isn't it? I though we were talking about rental cars in Hawaii, not Orlando.

This is the Aulani page isn't it? I though we were talking about rental cars in Hawaii, not Orlando.

We are. Undercover Tourist works for rental cars in Hawaii as well, it's no longer limited to just Orlando only. This is the great part about it!!!

However, unfortunately, Undercover Tourist works only for US and Canada residents only, according to their website, so it's not a solutions for all.

Great3

Last edited:
Thank you guys so much for the tip about Undercover Tourist! Saved so much money. I placed my order yesterday. It is showing still processing. Is this normal?

UT sends a text message that you have respond to in time or they won't process the order. I had to contact them via chat after 3 days so they can do additional verification, before they actually processed the order.

Great3

Last edited:
Thank goodness for the DIS boards. Just saved almost $100 on a car rental for our trip in May! Has anyone been able to add their Fastbreak number to their reservation to avoid waiting in line? I've sent a message to UT, but thought I'd check here to see if anyone has had experience.

Thanks!

How much are you paying for what kind of car and when? We are going late May and the prices look $750+ for the week. Standard sized. o_O Convincing myself to go ahead and book cause the prices wont go down. Opinions?
We booked months ago for our June trip. $500 for a week. We got a minivan. I'm pretty happy with the price we got. Ive been checking the rates, and they only went up for my week. Glad i booked when i did.

As an aside - I urge everyone to put your flight information into your reservation. We had a long delay over the weekend which had us landing about 90 mins after Alamo closed. Since they had our flight info, the manager kept the location open for us - apparently their policy is that if they are aware of a flight delay, they will stay open up to two hours after closing.
Good info. Thanks!

Thank goodness for the DIS boards. Just saved almost $100 on a car rental for our trip in May! Has anyone been able to add their Fastbreak number to their reservation to avoid waiting in line? I've sent a message to UT, but thought I'd check here to see if anyone has had experience.

Thanks!
I echo your sentiments for the DIS boards. I also saved a lot of $$ with the tip of using UT for a 50% off Budget rental car.
So I put my credit card info and Budget car confirmation # into the Fastbreak app before my trip to Orlando a few days ago. I skipped the GINORMOUS line at the Budget counter, and went to the booth in the rental lot where there was only 1 person ahead of me. They asked for my credit card and license, and my toll, gas, and insurance preferences, and I was on my way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter