Rental cars?

I echo your sentiments for the DIS boards. I also saved a lot of $$ with the tip of using UT for a 50% off Budget rental car.
So I put my credit card info and Budget car confirmation # into the Fastbreak app before my trip to Orlando a few days ago. I skipped the GINORMOUS line at the Budget counter, and went to the booth in the rental lot where there was only 1 person ahead of me. They asked for my credit card and license, and my toll, gas, and insurance preferences, and I was on my way.
Thanks DisKaren,

I've got the Fastbreak app, but I don't see how to add the reservation to my account. I looked at modifying the reservation to see if that would allow me to add my fastbreak number, but that just increased the cost of the rental (so I didn't make any modifications). Do you happen to remember where you accessed the ability to add the info to your app?

Thanks!

We probably wont rent a car again. We didnt use it enough to justify the cost. We are headed back this fall and found a few people on facebook who rent out their personal cars. Much cheaper and easier to get around in. I would go post in some of the aulani facebook groups there. I have seen a few people offer up their rig.

Can you still rent a car at Aulani?
They have an Enterprise at Aulani. I would compare prices though. Car rentals at resorts are usually much more expensive then just getting one from the airport, including paying for parking. If you plan on renting a car for a couple of days, it might come out cheaper to have it for the whole trip especially if you factor in the cost of RT transfers from the airport.

I echo your sentiments for the DIS boards. I also saved a lot of $$ with the tip of using UT for a 50% off Budget rental car.
So I put my credit card info and Budget car confirmation # into the Fastbreak app before my trip to Orlando a few days ago. I skipped the GINORMOUS line at the Budget counter, and went to the booth in the rental lot where there was only 1 person ahead of me. They asked for my credit card and license, and my toll, gas, and insurance preferences, and I was on my way.
We also skipped the huge line (about 80 persons long - no kidding) at Budget by using Fastbreak. This was in Hawaii last week.

Thanks DisKaren,

I've got the Fastbreak app, but I don't see how to add the reservation to my account. I looked at modifying the reservation to see if that would allow me to add my fastbreak number, but that just increased the cost of the rental (so I didn't make any modifications). Do you happen to remember where you accessed the ability to add the info to your app?

Thanks!
I clicked on “rentals” in the Budget app, then clicked on “manage rentals”. I then clicked on “search for a reservation,” and then I entered my Budget confirmation #, and clicked on “find reservation”. It then showed me my reservation info.

Does anyone have any opinions on Alamo vs. Budget at HNL? I read a report of someone not having a car when they arrived, wondering which company it was?
They are about $40 apart.

Does anyone have any opinions on Alamo vs. Budget at HNL? I read a report of someone not having a car when they arrived, wondering which company it was?

I think rental vehicles are in very short supply, so there's no telling what availability will be when you arrive. We booked a full-size car through Costco Travel and there were just four vehicles in that category available...none of which I would have chosen in advance.

I could have booked Alamo or Dollar. I went with Alamo because I could go directly to the garage to select the vehicle, bypassing the rental desk. When I returned the car there was a huge line at the Dollar desk.

A word of caution to everyone... I was overcharged by $100+ by Alamo in O'ahu and by Avis in Maui. I have received a credit from Alamo; Avis is still pending. Check your final receipt against your booking confirmation for overcharges.

I think rental vehicles are in very short supply, so there's no telling what availability will be when you arrive. We booked a full-size car through Costco Travel and there were just four vehicles in that category available...none of which I would have chosen in advance.

I could have booked Alamo or Dollar. I went with Alamo because I could go directly to the garage to select the vehicle, bypassing the rental desk. When I returned the car there was a huge line at the Dollar desk.

A word of caution to everyone... I was overcharged by $100+ by Alamo in O'ahu and by Avis in Maui. I have received a credit from Alamo; Avis is still pending. Check your final receipt against your booking confirmation for overcharges.
We were also overcharged by Hertz in Oahu. They seemed to totally ignore the booking confirmation amount. Had to get a manager involved to correct the problem.

How much are you paying for what kind of car and when? We are going late May and the prices look $750+ for the week. Standard sized. o_O Convincing myself to go ahead and book cause the prices wont go down. Opinions?
My family and I went to Aulani in December and rented a vehicle through Turo. It is like air bnb for cars. You rent vehicles directly from individuals. I had a positive experience with it and saved a lot of money on a rental. You are required to pay full price upfront, but it is refundable if you cancel. This was a good option for us because there was no inventory available through regular car rental companies. Take a look and see what you find. Good luck.

My family and I went to Aulani in December and rented a vehicle through Turo. It is like air bnb for cars. You rent vehicles directly from individuals. I had a positive experience with it and saved a lot of money on a rental. You are required to pay full price upfront, but it is refundable if you cancel. This was a good option for us because there was no inventory available through regular car rental companies. Take a look and see what you find. Good luck.
Turo looks great, and then you realize that insurance can cost the same as the rental car price. Many regular insurance companies like GEICO, Progressive, State Farm, All-State, etc., will not cover you renting a peer-to-peer rental like Turo. Peer-to-peer rentals are not viewed in the same manner as a rental from Hertz, Dollar, Avis, etc. Your credit card rental insurance won't cover you driving a peer-to-peer rental like Turo either. Have an accident without Turo's insurance and all of a sudden that great deal just became a major financial and legal heartache. You can rent the car without purchasing Turo's insurance, but if your regular insurance company denies the claim because it's not a regular rental, and your credit card company denies the claim, guess who is stuck fighting the legal battles, victim compensation, physical damages, etc?

In addition, your plans are all in place, and when you land at the airport it's a nice thing you can cancel at any time prior to picking up the vehicle for whatever reason, but guess what? The host can also cancel your rental. The host contacts you to say the car is no longer available, someone had an accident in it, or the transmission broke, etc., or they can just cancel for no reason, and suddenly you are now scrambling to find a new rental car and with the tightened availability, you might be stuck working out trying to find transportation, and the kids are cranky from the flight, and the restaurants in the airport just closed for the night. Turo seems like a great price for a reason..., when everything is great, it's great, when something goes even the tiniest bit wrong, you get what you paid for.

This is not to say don't use peer-to-peer rentals, but be aware of the potential issue with the price of insurance, it can go as high as the daily rental price of the vehicle times the number of days you rented it, nearly doubling the advertised price. Understand and select the correct insurance. What happens when you are driving the car and the transmission breaks? With a traditional rental car, you can get another vehicle, with Turo, that may be the only car the host has, and you hopefully have AAA or another auto coverage that covers breakdowns. Your rental just ended unexpectedly mid-vacation. Good luck getting another rental car.

Turo looks great, and then you realize that insurance can cost the same as the rental car price. Many regular insurance companies like GEICO, Progressive, State Farm, All-State, etc., will not cover you renting a peer-to-peer rental like Turo. Peer-to-peer rentals are not viewed in the same manner as a rental from Hertz, Dollar, Avis, etc. Your credit card rental insurance won't cover you driving a peer-to-peer rental like Turo either. Have an accident without Turo's insurance and all of a sudden that great deal just became a major financial and legal heartache. You can rent the car without purchasing Turo's insurance, but if your regular insurance company denies the claim because it's not a regular rental, and your credit card company denies the claim, guess who is stuck fighting the legal battles, victim compensation, physical damages, etc?

In addition, your plans are all in place, and when you land at the airport it's a nice thing you can cancel at any time prior to picking up the vehicle for whatever reason, but guess what? The host can also cancel your rental. The host contacts you to say the car is no longer available, someone had an accident in it, or the transmission broke, etc., or they can just cancel for no reason, and suddenly you are now scrambling to find a new rental car and with the tightened availability, you might be stuck working out trying to find transportation, and the kids are cranky from the flight, and the restaurants in the airport just closed for the night. Turo seems like a great price for a reason..., when everything is great, it's great, when something goes even the tiniest bit wrong, you get what you paid for.

This is not to say don't use peer-to-peer rentals, but be aware of the potential issue with the price of insurance, it can go as high as the daily rental price of the vehicle times the number of days you rented it, nearly doubling the advertised price. Understand and select the correct insurance. What happens when you are driving the car and the transmission breaks? With a traditional rental car, you can get another vehicle, with Turo, that may be the only car the host has, and you hopefully have AAA or another auto coverage that covers breakdowns. Your rental just ended unexpectedly mid-vacation. Good luck getting another rental car.
All valid points. The main reason we used Turo was due to lack of inventory. Definitely need to compare pros and cons.

@DisKaren - sorry to ask another question about the UT car rental! I've tried to add my fastbreak number to my reservation but I can't (and UT says they can't add it either.) Do you just pull your reservation up in the app when you get to the airport and as long as you have a fastbreak account it will work?

We booked through Alamo located at Aulani. It says the pickup is for 8 am. Anyone had any experience with them at Aulani? If they run on time?

We booked through Alamo located at Aulani. It says the pickup is for 8 am. Anyone had any experience with them at Aulani? If they run on time?
FYI, they are now Enterprise but honor the reservations from Alamo.

@DisKaren - sorry to ask another question about the UT car rental! I've tried to add my fastbreak number to my reservation but I can't (and UT says they can't add it either.) Do you just pull your reservation up in the app when you get to the airport and as long as you have a fastbreak account it will work?
IIRC the Budget employee in the booth at the airport garage just asked me for my name, credit card and driver’s license. I don’t know if it helped that I had previously entered my Budget confirmation # into the app.

I used the confirmation number given by UT and typed it into fastbreak app and pulls right up.

We have a rental reservation through National. Anyone have advice or experience with them? I see that they have the "Emerald Club" but from what I can tell the Honolulu airport does not have the "Emerald Aisle" for skipping the pickup line. Is that right? All this Fastbreak talk has me hoping there's a way I can be proactive and not be stuck in a line if I can help it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter