• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rental tips - from Sanford

cheribear

Earning My Ears
Hello, just wondering if anyone has rented a car coming in from Sanford. That is our only option for flights and Magical Expess doesn't run from there. We need to get 6 people and our luggage from Sanford to Disney, we have a 10 day stay - half on property, and half off of the property.

I am reluctant to book a rental car for 10 straight days just because we really need it on the first day and the last day and maybe one day in between - but it seems to make more sense than paying for shuttles, cabs, etc. With 6 people, it is not like we will be able to get away with a cheap economy car. I do think that if we have it the whole time then we will use it to get groceries and explore a little bit. I need to consider costs for parking at Disney once we are staying off property - what is that per day?

Are there any other options I don't know about?

Bumping this up, I have a little more information:

A one-way shuttle is $110 - $120 from Sanford for all 6 of us. Some of the companies do a grocery stop which would be awesome.

The difference between minivan rental for the whole trip (10 days, Sanford to Sanford) vs. rental for the part we are off site (5 days, pick up at WDW, drop off at Sanford) is only about $220. So we only save about $100 by taking the shuttle vs. renting a van for our whole trip.

What do most people do when they land in Sanford?

If you can watch the prices for a rental car that would be great. Three weeks out I grabbed a final rate of $262 eight days. We used the car every day from Thrifty. I just hate taking buses, waiting for them, carrying things on them, park exiting is crazy and if we have an urgent need, or just food offsite it's great.

If you have a flight before noon, I would consider staying at a hotel in Sanford the night before. Stay at the park late, have the car packed and then in the morning you will be already packed for the most, not fighting traffic or a road closure as we saw twice comeing to and and from Sanford. It's less stressful. You save a night's cost at Disney too.

We had a rental last June for 10 days through Alamo from Sanford to Sanford. 1 or 2 weeks from our departure I was able to get a mini van with seating for 7 for 258.00. We did a grocery stop, went to the beach for an afternoon, and by day 3 were driving to and from the parks. We stayed on property so parking was free. It was only about 20 minutes from the hotel to most of the parks and was so much better than taking the bus. Just keep checking daily; I checked every morning before work and every night right before bed. I think I grabbed my deal at 6:00 a.m. We made use of the van and have decided that is what we do every time we go back. So worth it!
Good luck!

If you can watch the prices for a rental car that would be great. Three weeks out I grabbed a final rate of $262 eight days. We used the car every day from Thrifty. I just hate taking buses, waiting for them, carrying things on them, park exiting is crazy and if we have an urgent need, or just food offsite it's great.

If you have a flight before noon, I would consider staying at a hotel in Sanford the night before. Stay at the park late, have the car packed and then in the morning you will be already packed for the most, not fighting traffic or a road closure as we saw twice comeing to and and from Sanford. It's less stressful. You save a night's cost at Disney too.

If you do need to spend a night in Sanford, our favorite place to stay is Hampton Inn & Suites Lake Mary

Sorry I don't have any car suggestions.

Has anyone considered the private shuttle companies?

We are a group of 14. Staying on property. Renting vehicles seems crazy expensive.

Good luck family of 6!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter