Rented Points. What Should I Do?

MissDaisyofTexas

DIS Veteran
Hi--I rented points for a 2-bedroom in late May/early June from a DVC owner. I reached out to the owner to ask if I have any reschedule options if that time frame is still not operational or recommended for travel.

Owners said the points expire at the end of February 2021. So, we could keep our current reservation or move it to another time before Feb 2021. Or, they could ask Disney to let us use the points for the next use year so that we can simply reschedule our trip for a year from the original (they're not sure if Disney will allow that). I have to apparently decide this by next week because we're almost 60 days before the reservation.

My dilemma is that I have high school kids that can't miss school. Thanksgiving and Christmas would be the only weeks we could reschedule. We'd likely have to change resorts if there's even anything available for the time frame (and reduce our days due to the higher cost). My preference would be to move the entire trip to summer 2021.

What should we do? Take a gamble that we can travel as planned in 2 months? Reschedule for Thanksgiving? Is DVC being flexible with use year?

Thanks.

First of all, getting reservation, to be honest, around Thanksgiving or Christmas may be tough at this points. And, Xmas time is a lot more in terms of points value,

If the owners points expire at the end of Feb 2021 because they are banked points, they are not allowing banked points to be banked again. I would not count on that as an option at all,

The only thing I can say is that with DVC, room availability changes rapidly especially during the fall and Xmas season, Given many members who have had March trips canceled, and almost all of April will need to be rescheduled as well..,not official yet, but can’t imagine it won’t,,,,those rooms will go even more quickly.

So, unfortunately, I think you have to decide sooner rather than later,

Things are all mess right now with DVC and DVC points. But if those points expire the end of Jan, 2021, it seems very unlikely Disney will allow them to be pushed into the next use year (unless this closure extends for an extended period of time - like months - and they make some big exceptions for members).

Currently, the Memorial Day timeframe is going to be a real gamble - it's not clear if things will be starting up again by then. It's a tough choice. But as stated above, the chances of getting rooms over those holidays is really going to be tough, as well. No chance of perhaps pushing it later in the summer, 2020, when odds might be better? August?

Best of luck to you. You are one of very many with these issues right now.

If they are February 2020 points, they could be banked. But it sounds like they are February 2019 points already banked. DVC is not allowing them to be extended to a third year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter