Renting points & resort availablity

hmdsnow360

Earning My Ears
so I’m new to the idea of renting points. Are there certain resorts that studios book quicker than others? Or do most studios villas book before the 7 month mark?

I’m flexible with my weeks between Jan MLK day and President weekend. The end of January looks to be less points than week before president weekend.

I ideally would like beach club or poly. Poly only being in my budget for January. Would other resorts be recommended?

so I’m new to the idea of renting points. Are there certain resorts that studios book quicker than others? Or do most studios villas book before the 7 month mark?

I’m flexible with my weeks between Jan MLK day and President weekend. The end of January looks to be less points than week before president weekend.

I ideally would like beach club or poly. Poly only being in my budget for January. Would other resorts be recommended?

How many in your party? Kids? How long will your stay be? How many times have you been to WDW--done it all and know your way around, or only been a couple times? Which parks are you wanting to go to?
The Princess half-marathon is a really big DVC time that eats up all the studios. Feb 20-23, but it look like you are looking clear of that time. Yes, studios really book up, especially Sept-Jan. Saratoga Springs is most likely to have studio avaliability, but many others may if you book early enough. You need to have your reservation arranged with whom you are renting from ahead of time, so they can get on at the 7 month mark, 8AM, to reserve it. Poly is great in warm weather, but I stayed there in Dec and really enjoyed it in cold weather too. I don't think it will be warm enough to swim to enjoy BCV Stormalong Bay. AKV is my personal favorite resort. It is so immersive and special.

2 a 2 k ages 13,13,& 6. I don’t plan to stay in our rooms a lot so having a studio we are fine with I use to nanny for a family that was vacation club members so I’ve stayed a lot of places and been to Disney quite a bit. So I definitely know my way around and would really focus on doing specific things not feeling like I want to do everything. I would do all the parks with hoppers and go 7-8 nights. We were looking at the week before Presidents’ Day and then decided To compare late January. The prices and crowds seemed less. They are from New England so anything is going to be warmer than here that time of year. I’ve stayed old key west , Saratoga and wilderness. So I was hoping to try somewhere new.

For a studio, I'd not wait until 7 months hoping for availability. You need to be putting in rental requests NOW for late January. Availability is good right now, but you have to find someone with the right points to book it. At 7 months, availability will go really quickly.

Is there a place on here to post looking for points? I’ve only found where people post selling. I could go through David’s but thought maybe skipping the middle man might be cheaper

I also like the idea of monarail to park from resort (poly) or walking to park ( bcv or bwv). Honestly the creepy clown in the pool kinda deters me from bw.

Your post above says "2 a 2 k ages 13,13,& 6." Do you mean you have four or five. If 5 and you want a studio then BCV is real tight fit. No studio is ideal for five but Poly provides and extra shower area and far more space than BCV. Moreover, with 5 for studios, you are limited to Poly, VGF, BRV, BWV and BCV

As to what is likely to be open at 7 months out, anything said may be affected by Star Wars which might cause more demand than usual for the time period, so you should seriously consider searching now for a reservation. But in the past:

Feb 1 to the Thurs before Presidents' Day has been the lowest DVC demand time of the year. Poly has always been open at 7 months out for that time. BCV is questionable but still a chance. Other studios that have been typically open at 7 months out, besides Poly, are BWV pool/garden view , BLT Lake View and Theme Park view, AKV savanna and standard view, at least at Kidani, BRV, SSR and OKW; Ones unlikely but possibly still a chance are BWV boardwalk view and VGF; highly unlikely are BWV standard view, BLT standard view, CCV and AKV Club level and value

Time between MLK weekend and Jan 31: right now the last weekend of Jan (Thurs through Sun, Jan 23-26) is an unknown. The NFL Pro Bowl may be in Orlando, where it has been for the last three years, or may move to Miami, with a decision likely before end of April. If Orlando has the Pro Bowl, then that weekend could have issues at 7 months out particularly for studios, at a number of resorts, although Poly, BWV pool/garden, BLT Lake view, and AKV Kidani, still have a decent chance of being open and SSR and OKW should be open. Mid to end of Jan, without the Pro Bowl, is otherwise a moderate DVC demand time and Poly, BWV pool/garden, AKV (at least Kidani), BLT lake view, SSR and OKW are usually open, and BRV has a chance.

As to hours, last part of Jan and first part of Feb are usually close to the same, although Feb will start to stretch hours a little more, but there are often some things closed for some refurb a couple weeks in Jan, which are then open by Feb 1.

Thank you. There are 5 of us total. (
2 adults and 3 kids (ages13,13, &6)
I’v stayed at wilderness before and it wasn’t my favorite. I’m from New England so it had more of a home feel. I like the more tropical theming that is different than where I live.
We are not huge Star Wars fans so I’m kinda bummed that the timing of our trip is going to be so affected by the opening of that.
I’m ok with room being tight, we tend to be on the go when we are there so would just be a place to sleep and shower. A one bedroom isn’t in my budget either. For the price of staying at asm or aoa suite through Disney I can buy points and stay at a deluxe where I’d rather enjoy the grounds and amenitys of the resort than have more space in my room.
I guess the being able to walk to the parks or grab a monorail is appealing.
It’s such an investment to go I obsess with getting the best deal I can find during a time it won’t be crazy busy.

Is there a place on here to post looking for points? I’ve only found where people post selling. I could go through David’s but thought maybe skipping the middle man might be cheaper
There is a Rent/Trade Board. You can only see it if you are logged in. You can’t post a “seeking rental” thread but you can post on threads where someone has posted that they have points to rent. Just be careful. Do not deal with anyone who contacts you other than the OP of the thread you posted to. That’s how scammers find their victims.

Also, for a premium resort like BCV or Poly, you are unlikely to find a bargain renting directly from an owner vs. an agency. Owners with premium points know market rates.

Since you mentioned budget, there are a few things to know about DVC rental - the biggest from a budget standpoint is that its generally non-refundable. You'll want travel insurance, which you'll need to self source. One of the kids could end up in the hospital, and you'd still be out the rental money with no recourse unless you have insurance.

You also aren't likely to be able to change the reservation once made - so be certain about it.

You will likely need to put up more (sometimes all) of the money up front to secure the reservation.

DVC rentals can be a deal, but it isn't a deal without strings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter