Renting Points Through David’s

cbtengwife

Earning My Ears
I have xx banked points and xxx current year points that I am wanting to rent due to not being able to use them. Who has used David’s? How does it work? Do they handle booking the stay?
Thanks for any advice that you can give me.

Last edited by a moderator:
David's will not make the reservation, only the DVC Members can do that. They will notify you with the renters details, verify a reservation is available, and notify the owners...then the owner makes the reservation, and if I'm not mistaken, the first owner to make the reservation and respond to the text or email, is the one they go with. Think of rental brokers more like an escrow company/go between for the owners and renters.

I have used David's as a renter and DVC Rental Store as an owner. The experience with DVC Rental Store was great, and they are paying more than David's. When a change was needed to a reservation, DVC Rental Store paid me an additional $50 for my time. It only took me a few minutes to do. I'm not sure how David's does it for Owners, but I got 75% of the rental when the contract was signed, final 25% at check in.

I have xx banked points and xxx current year points that I am wanting to rent due to not being able to use them. Who has used David’s? How does it work? Do they handle booking the stay?
Thanks for any advice that you can give me.
No broker can handle booking the stay for you since MS will only deal w/ the member. The brokers are matchmakers, they connect members w/ points to rent w/ people wanting to rent those points. They handle the paperwork & the money, but the member must do the actual booking.

I have used both David's and DVC rental multiple times and I would go with DVC rental in the future for 2 reasons. They pay more per point and you get to select which contracts you want to take from their website. When you use David's they email you offers at their pace which I am not a fan of. I absolutely prefer to browse the options and select the renters at my leisure. The only advantage to using David's is that the company is based in Canada for people who don't want to claim the income and cheat on their taxes.

The only advantage to using David's is that the company is based in Canada for people who don't want to claim the income and cheat on their taxes.
Speaking of taxes and renting points, you get to write off some portions of dues when you rent and declare income, right?

I have used both David's and DVC rental multiple times and I would go with DVC rental in the future for 2 reasons. They pay more per point and you get to select which contracts you want to take from their website. When you use David's they email you offers at their pace which I am not a fan of. I absolutely prefer to browse the options and select the renters at my leisure. The only advantage to using David's is that the company is based in Canada for people who don't want to claim the income and cheat on their taxes.
Not that I am a fan of Dave's. But some of us can not use companies based in the states.

Read the contract from David’s really carefully before selecting especially the force majeure clause
Read BOTH companies' contracts carefully before making a decision. People point out David's force majeure clause, which could kick in if the resorts get closed again, but there might be other issues which are important to you.

They will notify you with the renters details, verify a reservation is available, and notify the owners...then the owner makes the reservation, and if I'm not mistaken, the first owner to make the reservation and respond to the text or email, is the one they go with.

When you use David's they email you offers at their pace which I am not a fan of.
I used David's more than once. The most recent time, the email they sent me said this:

"Congratulations! I currently have a guest interested in a rental and I have confirmed availability for their request. I am sending this request out to a few members in order to obtain the quickest reply. Are you available to make a reservation in the guest's name if I send you the details? If so please confirm by clicking the button below. My turnaround time is restricted and I must have this reservation in place ASAP."

I think OPs are correct in stating that David's can email several owners to advise that there is a Guest who could use their points, and it's First Come First Serve for the Owners who get the email.

However, in my cases, my points could be used beyond the 7 month mark. I got that email as soon as my points were in David's system. I'm pretty sure that the Guests were on David's waitlists, and David's didn't have any other owners who could make the resies. I bet I'm the only one who got those emails.

I timed it so that I contacted David's in the late afternoon when I knew I would be available to make a resie the next day if they had a Guest who could use my points (as opposed to a situation where I knew I would be unavailable the next day).

Speaking of taxes and renting points, you get to write off some portions of dues when you rent and declare income, right?
Yes you absolutely can write off some of the cost. Every year I have to re-familiarize myself with exactly how do do this using schedule E but it's really not that complicated once you do a little bit of reading.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter