• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Replacement for Story Book Dining

WawaCoffee

Thank the Phoenicians
We'll be staying at the Wilderness Lodge for our upcoming trip (arriving at the resort around 2pm). About six months ago, I made a 6:30pm dinner ADR for Story Book Dining on our arrival night. My original intention was to, after a long day of traveling, stay at our resort for dinner. The recent reviews popping up on Trip Advisor, Yelp, and Google have me second-guessing this dinner. Coupled with the fact that we aren't big desert people, much of the food will go to waste. We will be doing 3-4 other character dining experiences during our stay, so I'm not too concerned about losing out on the "experience".

My question is how much of a "hassle" it is to travel to other resorts from the Wilderness Lodge (especially after a day of traveling). The Wave was my first thought, since there's a direct boat from WL. But is it easy enough to hop on the monorail to get to Poly/GF? Are the monorails usually packed during dinner time?

Possible replacements based on current availability:
  • The Wave
  • Grand Floridian Cafe (drinks at Enchanted Rose before)
  • Kona Cafe
  • Garden Grill (we know this is in Epcot, but it seems like a great, laid-back way to start our trip)

Other recommendations are also welcome!

I loved Storybook Dining. We own at Copper Creek and just returned from 5 days last night.
All of those options are good ones, but having to choose one I’d pick The Wave. Great food. Great service. Easy boat ride.

Have you considered going over to Fort Wilderness and doing the buffet there? It's super laid back and you can take the boat over there. It's a close walk from the boat launch area. We enjoy the atmosphere there.

I would go to the Wave. We took the boat from Contemporary to WL for Storybook dining last year. It was easy and the boats came often and weren’t packed. We did get the skipper who insists he’s never heard of the contemporary on the way back though. The shtick is funny at first and then not so much. But overall I think it’s pretty easy. I wouldn’t want to add the monorail on top of it though. Not because it’s particularly hard or busy at dinner, it’s just added complication and time.

I second the wave. We loved our meal there. It’s one of the only restaurants we feel like we have to go back and eat at

We'll be staying at the Wilderness Lodge for our upcoming trip (arriving at the resort around 2pm). About six months ago, I made a 6:30pm dinner ADR for Story Book Dining on our arrival night. My original intention was to, after a long day of traveling, stay at our resort for dinner. The recent reviews popping up on Trip Advisor, Yelp, and Google have me second-guessing this dinner. Coupled with the fact that we aren't big desert people, much of the food will go to waste. We will be doing 3-4 other character dining experiences during our stay, so I'm not too concerned about losing out on the "experience".

My question is how much of a "hassle" it is to travel to other resorts from the Wilderness Lodge (especially after a day of traveling). The Wave was my first thought, since there's a direct boat from WL. But is it easy enough to hop on the monorail to get to Poly/GF? Are the monorails usually packed during dinner time?

Possible replacements based on current availability:
  • The Wave
  • Grand Floridian Cafe (drinks at Enchanted Rose before)
  • Kona Cafe
  • Garden Grill (we know this is in Epcot, but it seems like a great, laid-back way to start our trip)

Other recommendations are also welcome!
If convenience is the goal, stay at your resort.

The differences in food quality between your choices are, at best, marginal.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably enjoy Storybook Dining.

Then, if my family had the energy, take the boat to further immerse ourselves into Disney by doing whatever we could along the Monorail-loop on arrival day.

The Wave. We try not to do too much running extra running around on our travel day as well. We just ate at Story Book Dinning a week and half ago. I will say that the entrees we had at STD were very very good. We were pretty full by the time dessert arrived. They give you small portions of each dessert. Dessert was fine (nothing special) and there wasn't a whole lot to waste. If you did decide to keep your reservation, I guess you could always tell your server that you would prefer to pass on dessert. If you decide to go elsewhere, I would choose The Wave.

We ate at Storybook Dining in September and loved it-we were a party of six. We had great service, and the prime rib was wonderful. Appetizers and desserts were small, but you had three each. Someone found something to their liking. The setting is also beautiful. Add that to the convenience of it being located in your resort, I'd keep it and decide for myself what I thought.

We just returned from WDW and had the Storybook dinner. The food was very good. None of us eat shrimp and the mushroom soup was not going to fly with three out of four of us. The server replaced them with spring rolls, and some kind of tomato salad. Both of the appetizers were delicious. I had the soup and ate the salads that the girls did not like.

SInce you are not dessert people, I would suggest that you try the dinner. It really was one of the most fun we had, and for you it will be very convenient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter