Replacing Wedding Rings

When my grandma past my dad had her stones split among each of us 3 girls and we all had her stones added and our rings redone. Because we wanted to. And she would have loved what we did with our rings.

Oh dear. You didn't have a wedding dress to match some of those horrible wedding dresses, like in that recent thread that was posted here, did you? :crazy2: :scared: I can better understand now why the tradition is generally a plain band for the wedding ring. As probably our descendants figured out, as they got older, people WILL change (and evolve) their tastes and not want to be stuck with a "What was I thinking at the time?" :lmao:
There may or may not have been some Cinderella bows and head gear happening...

My engagement ring is a marquis with channel set diamonds on either side. Very dated. On the flip of that my sister wears my grandmother’s engagement ring and I have the matching band that I wear with my anniversary rings. Those rings are timeless. I’m guessing they were bought somewhere in the early 40s. They were actually a replacement for her original wedding band that my grandfather had made for her out of a nickel. Now I know how to buy a timeless piece, back then not so much.

I would never replace my rings. They were blessed in our ceremony. Could other rings be blessed? Sure, but not by my sister who was ordained clergy, performed our ceremony, and has since passed away. Also, are they simple? Yes, but they represent where we were 25 years ago.

My wife and I haven't worn our wedding rings for years and years. Hopefully she knows where they are because I don't have a clue.
You sound like my husband, lol. He hasn't worn his wedding ring in over twenty years. It's in my jewelry box on the nightstand. He took it off initially because he didn't want to damage it while working out in the field for his job. He's tried putting it back on several times and it doesn't fit anymore, too small. We could get it resized and I've thought about buying new rings(they were cheap and we were poor) but I don't really care that much. I'd rather spend the money on fixing up the house, but then I've never been much into jewelry. We've been married for 27 years now so I guess neither of us are too bothered about it :confused3

You sound like my husband, lol. He hasn't worn his wedding ring in over twenty years. It's in my jewelry box on the nightstand. He took it off initially because he didn't want to damage it while working out in the field for his job. He's tried putting it back on several times and it doesn't fit anymore, too small. We could get it resized and I've thought about buying new rings(they were cheap and we were poor) but I don't really care that much. I'd rather spend the money on fixing up the house, but then I've never been much into jewelry. We've been married for 27 years now so I guess neither of us are too bothered about it :confused3
I don't even think about the rings anymore, as I guess is evidence by my previous reply to this thread. We still love each other just as much and the rings were part of a ceremony that still holds true to me, but I guess we both decided we don't need to actually wear them for whatever reason that is. We never really talked about it, it just kind of happened. I don't think the people that do insist on wearing theirs are wrong and I don't think those of us that choose not to are wrong either. It works for us so I guess it's alright.

I think I sort of feel like the OP. I'm surprised how much our rings mean to me. Given that we'd already been together 18 years when we married I was a little surprised how much the whole thing meant to me. Ours are simple white gold bands with a pattern, simple less I think as a cost measure and more because I really don't have any history of wearing jewelry and it was important to both of us that they be identical (or at least look identical--they have different inscriptions on the inside). The only way I could see us replacing one of them is if it was destroyed or stolen. And we'd replace it with as identical of a ring as we could manage. If my husband ever wants a fancy ring (like I said he has a history of wearing jewelry) that's fine with me--he's got nine other fingers. :D

I used to feel more of a sentimental attachment to our rings but DH's tungsten ring broke less than a year after we got married so we replaced it and sentimentality tied to our EXACT rings sort of flew out the window. I still don't really see myself wanting to upgrade my ring at all (mmmaaayyyybe a larger center stone someday) but who knows.

My engagement ring is a marquis with channel set diamonds on either side. Very dated. On the flip of that my sister wears my grandmother’s engagement ring and I have the matching band that I wear with my anniversary rings. Those rings are timeless. I’m guessing they were bought somewhere in the early 40s. They were actually a replacement for her original wedding band that my grandfather had made for her out of a nickel. Now I know how to buy a timeless piece, back then not so much.
One of my friends, who got married around the same time you did, had her marquise diamond reset sideways in an East/West setting. I was really struck by how gorgeous and modern it looked set that way.

I used to feel more of a sentimental attachment to our rings but DH's tungsten ring broke less than a year after we got married so we replaced it and sentimentality tied to our EXACT rings sort of flew out the window. I still don't really see myself wanting to upgrade my ring at all (mmmaaayyyybe a larger center stone someday) but who knows.
My bridal set was destroyed through an "unfortunate series of events". I found myself in your DH's exact position and although I loved those rings, they were unique and replacing them exactly was not an option. By the time it happened we'd been married for 15 or 16 years and spending a lot of money on jewelry also wasn't a very high priority. I've accumulated a number of pretty costume pieces that I wear based on what suits my outfit or the mood I'm in. I wear a ring of some kind every day but none of them can possibly have any sentimental value.

My wife and I haven't worn our wedding rings for years and years. Hopefully she knows where they are because I don't have a clue.

We don’t wear ours either. I stopped first because my hands became sensitive and wearing my ring became painful. It didn’t get too small, the nerves in my hands just went haywire. When my husband went into the hospital he had to take off his ring. I kept it on my necklace for safekeeping and now that he’s home I won’t give it back. I’ve gotten used to the weight of it.

Plus, to be sappy, my necklace has a charm with my daughters name so it’s like they’re both with me all the time.

We don’t wear ours either. I stopped first because my hands became sensitive and wearing my ring became painful. It didn’t get too small, the nerves in my hands just went haywire. When my husband went into the hospital he had to take off his ring. I kept it on my necklace for safekeeping and now that he’s home I won’t give it back. I’ve gotten used to the weight of it.

Plus, to be sappy, my necklace has a charm with my daughters name so it’s like they’re both with me all the time.
I think the necklace is a wonderful idea and I love that they are both a part of it as well. Nice! :)

I upgraded the center diamond in my engagement ring and never looked back. Why? I like it better, though lately I’ve been considering selling it. I alternate between wearing the set, wearing just the band from the set, and wearing a plain thin gold band depending on where we’re going and the weather.

I replaced mine but not by choice. :( I lost mine during year 13. Both my wedding ring and engagement ring were soldered together. I went ringless for a few years hoping it would show up somewhere in the house. I replaced it with an infinity band a few years ago.

My sister wears her husband’s original wedding band on a leather cord. He got a fancier ring after a lot of years. She didn’t get a replacement but did get a diamond jacket that fits around her wrap band and had all three rings soldered together.
I replaced mine but not by choice. :( I lost mine during year 13. Both my wedding ring and engagement ring were soldered together. I went ringless for a few years hoping it would show up somewhere in the house. I replaced it with an infinity band a few years ago.
Years ago the diamond fell out of my mom’s ring and we tore the house apart for weeks trying to find it. She finally had the diamond replaced and got a new setting. I kid you not, the day after she got it back I was in the bathroom and saw something shiny on the floor. It was my mom’s diamond. As far as I know it’s still sitting in her jewelry box 30 years later. My stepfather lost his original band and the replacement playing in the snow both times. The didn’t replace it after that and he hasn’t worn a ring since.

Hubby wears his 3rd wedding band ..when we go out for a special occasion or if he’s in the mood. I replaced diamonds twice in his original band and finally gave up and got him A gold band to wear.
I had my diamond reset about 10 years in. From a simple gold band with solitaire to a tier stepped dbl wide diamond band with my solitaire setting, made higher. I rarely wear it anymore. Styles changed as did I.
I was given my grandmothers diamond which was then replaced my solitaire. My original diamond went into a ( donut type ) pendant, which I wear.
My original narrow diamond wedding band typically sits in the vault. My hubby has gifted me many pieces over the years and I honestly prefer white gold these 30+ years later. So, I have a lovely diamond eternity band along with a ( gorgeous if I do say so lol) wide white gold Band of both princess and round diamonds, that I Adore. I often wear this one as it’s one of my favorite pieces.
The True “Blessing” for us is that we ve been together since we’re 15 years old and will be married 34 years in several weeks. Jewelry is just a “thing” though I am a true lover of it, as hubby can attest to.
I say .. whatever makes you happy!

I have a history with engagement/wedding rings. My original engagement ring was an amethyst from the 1940s. When we were getting married, my sister (who was also getting married AND owned a shop that carried jewelry) ordered plain gold bands for all 4 of us. I would like to say I was married with the amethyst and plain gold band BUT the week leading into the wedding was so hot and humid that my fingers swelled to the point where I couldn't wear either ring SO we bought a "set" in the gift shop of the restaurant where we were married; yes, I was married with a $10 gold plate "diamond" and wedding band! DH wore the ring my sister ordered, and I wore that band and my amethyst on a necklace.

Shortly after we were married, we decided to buy 'real' rings, not just the $30 bands we'd been married with. We'd received a generous gift card to JCPenney from my co-workers (or was it Sears?), so DH and I got new rings. Mine was a central diamond with side rubies (my birthstone) and a band that wrapped around the setting, and DH got a lovely gold band with tiny diamonds swirled across it. He still wears that ring. I, however, took off my rings one summer when I was 7 months pregnant and lost them! After DD was born, I went back to wearing my amethyst but no wedding ring as the gold band we'd originally bought was too small. That was great for about 13 years, until I lost the amethyst! The next Christmas, DD and DH picked out the ring I've worn for the past 13 years, with 3 garnets and a couple of diamond chips. We are going to have to do something about this soon, as the central, larger garnet is all worn down, scratched, and dull. SO where are our original rings? I have the cheap $10 set I was married with in my jewelry box, along with DH's original wedding band. For the past 8 or so years, DD has worn both my original wedding band and my mom's on her right hand. Now that she's married, she wears her own engagement and wedding rings on her left hand- but the stones in them come from a (terribly gaudy 1940s) cocktail ring that belonged to her great grandmother. I've played merry-go-round with my rings, but at least DD has rings that carry the sentiment!

There are lots of reasons why people replace their original wedding rings. Usually, it is due to loss. My husband lost his band after 17 years. He was heartbroken but I reminded him that it's just a "thing" and the purpose of wearing the ring is to symbolize the marriage. The marriage is not the ring itself. He got a new ring, we pocketed some insurance money (new ring was less than the flat payout on the claim) and all is well.

I reset my engagement diamond into a more comfortable band. It is a 1/2 carat round solitaire and the original setting was very thin and delicate. Once I had kids, and began using my hands a lot more, I wanted a sturdier, more comfortable ring with a rounded inside edge and prongs that didn't make my stone stick out so far. I picked out a nice "cathedral" setting that complements the width of my channel set diamond wedding band much better.

Yeah I have a diamond solitaire & never wanted anything else. I have friends who got trendier things that are dated now.

Also our bands are engraved & I’m one who would never want to replace my rings b/c of sentimental value. I’m like that for a lot if things. But, to be fair, I have a very nice ring so not sure how I would feel if it was different.

Which is why I don't get the upgrading of the rings. The rings are a SYMBOL to me. It isn't meant to be fancy.

I get getting a new ring for special anniversary but to me that would be an "anniversary" ring not a wedding ring.

I'm not judging those that "upgrade" when they are more established and can afford more. I just don't get it. But as well as never getting married, I am not a jewelry person. A wedding ring might be the only jewelry you'd see me wear. So the cheaper, simpler rings the poor 20-somethings could afford would probably more what I'd want anyway.

I know you said you weren’t judging, but the tone of your original post certainly seems judgmental. You said you’re not married nor are you a jewelry person. Based on that, I’d naturally assume that upgrading wedding or engagement rings wouldn’t be a high priority to you, so seems silly to start a thread questioning the practice in others and somehow implying there’s something wrong with their priorities or sentimentality regarding marriage because of it. Just my interpretation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter