• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Report of Oregon college shooting...

A little bit at a time. Keep in mind that while the homicide rate is horrific, it's been trending downward for quite some time - and is currently half what it once was.

True, but we are getting into a whole different ballgame with mass killings now. So while the overall numbers of homicides might be down (for all types of homicides), I find it a little hard to think that mass homicide with firearms is trending downward.

I work at a small college, in a small town, in a rural area about an hour from a big city, so this whole story hits close to my heart. I can "picture" it, and it's a nightmare.

Prayers to all involved....

Terri

True, but we are getting into a whole different ballgame with mass killings now. So while the overall numbers of homicides might be down (for all types of homicides), I find it a little hard to think that mass homicide with firearms is trending downward.

It certainly seems that way & it may very well be true. Or, it could just be that the victims are scarier because it's schools & malls instead of drive bys in the hood. I honestly don't know.

I did recently read that our "mass shootings per capita" actually ranks behind Finland, Switzerland, and 5 other developed nations - though our overall homicide rate was higher than 6 of the 7.

It's too many any way you slice it, but I'm not sure if the # is increasing, or just the media coverage.

An hour from where I grew up. Sad and angry that this continues to happen in this country.

This is very scary. There should not be any fear in attending school. It should be a place of growth, hopes and dreams. We don't know yet who did this but it sounds like someone with mental issues.

I have absolutely no hope in gun control but I think we need to attack our policies on mental illness. Both of my daughters are part of graduate programs at two different universities. At both of their schools they tell me stories of individuals who have mental issues. Young men who just don't mesh with others in the normal ways. These young men have stopped coming to their labs for two months at a time. No notice given, they don't respond at all to efforts to contact them. They just disappear for an extended length of time. One shows back up with an explanation that he stopped taking his meds and he was allowed to stay. The other university dismissed their student. My point is how common are people like this and are they attracted to schools. I don't care about their privacy. Someone needs to be tracking the mentally unstable.

The care for the mentally ill is atrocious. It was fine to close all of the bad asylums but the trouble is that no one came up with a good alternative.

My heart goes out to the victims and their loved ones. It's hard to wrap my mind around events like these. :(

According to here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_service_response_codes

"All clear" or "I am okay". Also used to tell another unit they can disregard.

Which would make sense if the shooter is in custody.

Not every dept uses these codes in the same way. Code 4 here means off duty, or when referring to a victim/suspect - deceased. Don't believe everything from Wikipedia.

My heart goes out to the families. I do think that the MH system is so broken.

This is very scary. There should not be any fear in attending school. It should be a place of growth, hopes and dreams. We don't know yet who did this but it sounds like someone with mental issues.

I think anyone who does something like this has mental issues. We absolutely need to have better policies in place for dealing with the mentally ill. We also need better gun control laws. The two should go hand in hand.

It certainly seems that way & it may very well be true. Or, it could just be that the victims are scarier because it's schools & malls instead of drive bys in the hood. I honestly don't know.

I did recently read that our "mass shootings per capita" actually ranks behind Finland, Switzerland, and 5 other developed nations - though our overall homicide rate was higher than 6 of the 7.

It's too many any way you slice it, but I'm not sure if the # is increasing, or just the media coverage.

Interesting that you found that information because my quick Google search shows the US leading in mass shootings by a landslide in everything that I could find. Easy access to guns seems to be the common denominator.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter