Report on Past Practices of the RCID released

@Robbie Cottam not sure why you would want to see my fishing license and not sure if that was meant to be funny... because it really isn't.

That type if situation really isn't that big of a deal. Leasing the land buying the power makes sense, since Disney isn't the expert in the field of solar power. The other company does the work installing and maintaining and Disney gets the power. The price was all part of the negotiated contract.
It's a very very common situation, even for residential solar. It's become a bit less popular in residential installations since then, but in 2012 more than 75% of rooftop solar sold in the US was leased.

@Robbie Cottam not sure why you would want to see my fishing license and not sure if that was meant to be funny... because it really isn't.
Figured you were fishing for something,

These reports have been debated, rehashed, discussed, dismissed, reinvented,

I'm sure if you look hard enough, CNN or MSNBC will find an 80 lbs report on how Florida did something to someone and it wasn't nice

Florida says Disney cheated,
Disney says you violated our civil rights,

Put Iger and Desantis in a room and let them make this go away.

They are both right and wrong.

80 lbs of used toilet paper means nothing... except this whole thing stinks

I posted the link, without commentary on either side, the first day it came out so others could read, learn and make their own opinion. I wasn't fishing for anything, just sharing.

I think a general opinion is that it is Fiction....
The real insidious part is that there isn't much, if any, real outright fiction in the report, it's just that perfectly normal practices are disingenuously presented as horribly improper. Like suggesting that failing to build schools within the district, which has no residents to speak of, is depriving the community of resources despite the fact that Disney pays disproportionately high property taxes that substantially fund schools in surrounding communities where they actually belong. Or that they got out of paying impact fees even though they were paying more in other ways. Even if you fully accept the text of the report as true, the only whiff of an actual improper act (as opposed to vague ramblings about the potential for improper acts if the District did a bunch of things that there's no actual evidence that they did) is that the district might have failed to tell employees that some of the ancillary benefits they were receiving were taxable gifts.

my biggest problem with it is facts should speak for themselves.

If you have to gild the fact, it starts to hint to your position not being as strong as you claimed….

I have no doubt this report was written conclusion first….

The bottom line should be Disney ran reedy creek, paid all the bills, and took care of the district for Disney benefit, for over fifty years.

But things change, that’s the great part of our country, laws can be changed . Without reason.

The state exercised their authority over the district to change it, and even the playing field for everyone in the district….

Everything else weakens the states core case.

IMHO

The real insidious part is that there isn't much, if any, real outright fiction in the report, it's just that perfectly normal practices are disingenuously presented as horribly improper.
This statement explains the audit very well. I was having trouble putting my finger on just what was wrong with it.

Like suggesting that failing to build schools within the district, which has no residents to speak of, is depriving the community of resources despite the fact that Disney pays disproportionately high property taxes that substantially fund schools in surrounding communities where they actually belong.
Like this: "The District is not home to any schools, hospitals, or libraries and instead foists those costs upon the surrounding communities which must supply those services for Disney employees and their families."

How many permanent residents live within RCID? I found one article that mentioned 44 Disney employees in two manufactured home clusters. Are there others?

Or that they got out of paying impact fees even though they were paying more in other ways. Even if you fully accept the text of the report as true, the only whiff of an actual improper act (as opposed to vague ramblings about the potential for improper acts if the District did a bunch of things that there's no actual evidence that they did) is that the district might have failed to tell employees that some of the ancillary benefits they were receiving were taxable gifts.
Which any competent tax preparer should have told them, but yeah.

This statement explains the audit very well. I was having trouble putting my finger on just what was wrong with it.

Like this: "The District is not home to any schools, hospitals, or libraries and instead foists those costs upon the surrounding communities which must supply those services for Disney employees and their families."

How many permanent residents live within RCID? I found one article that mentioned 44 Disney employees in two manufactured home clusters. Are there others?

Would like to see Disney build something between a walk-in and a full-blown hospital...

Does that mean they are required to do so, NOPE

I would have to look at the actual lines of the district, but I think a house I was looking to buy once would be considered in the district. However, I THINKKK all the college program kids and the internation cast live in the district, I would think that is more than 44

I worked in State tax administration for over 40 years, and it is common for businesses to provide benefits that are considered taxable income to their employees without including it as taxable income.

I would have to look at the actual lines of the district, but I think a house I was looking to buy once would be considered in the district. However, I THINKKK all the college program kids and the internation cast live in the district, I would think that is more than 44
All of that housing (aside from the housing for the 40-50 residents hand-picked by Disney) exists outside of RCID/CFTOD. The only residents of the district are in Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista. Any time that Disney (or another developer) has added housing in what would be the district they've de-annexed that land with the consent/agreement of the local government that would become responsible for it (with the Flamingo Crossing development used for the College Program being one of the most recent de-annexations in 2018).

Last edited:
All of that housing exists outside of RCID/CFTOD. The only residents of the district are in Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista. Any time that Disney (or another developer) has added housing in what would be the district they've de-annexed that land (with the Flamingo Crossing development used for the College Program being one of the most recent de-annexations in 2018).
The house I was looking at was just north east of Bay Lake,

However, if no one lives in the district, that point is pretty moot..... So yeah, They didn't need a school.....

Again, the report was fiction,

Do I believe Disney played in the grey area? YES, who wouldn't,
Do I think there would be the Orlando we know today without the District? Nope a chance

Does the Governing body have a right to change the law? Yes,

So if this report was really 80 lbs like the OP's claims somebody killed a tree for nothing.....

This is an example of a simple problem getting blown way out of proportion

Am I crazy or is there a lot of illegal activity done here.. With techniques that kinda show things were done to keep the illegal activity from being discovered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter