Reprise: Horrible Halloween Candy

I always think it's a 3 tier system.

tier 1: Church pamphlet, pennies, apples, toothbrushes = Instant egging
tier 2: Smarties, taffy, candy corn, any kind of licorice, dum dums, plain sweet tarts, stale gummy anything
tier 3: Candy bars, sours, good gummy, lifesavers, gum, small toys like slimes or stickees

Also one time my last year of trick or treat we had a family bring out a real cotton candy cart and they made all the kids cotton candy cones. That was god tier.

It wasn't so much that they were horrible, but when I was a kid in the 60s the trick-or-treat candy we got the most of were Jr Sugar Daddies and small packs of Sugar Babies. We'd get so many we'd be tired of them.

Black licorice! Especially in the form of Good N Plenty. My Mom used to empty all the boxed candy into a big bowl for some reason. You'd pick up a deceptively cute pink piece of candy and bite into it, instantly knowing you'd made a serious mistake because you exposed its black heart. Ugh. Ugh, and ugh.

To save you time, I'll just post the definitive post of that thread updated with some new material.

My least favorite halloween candies to receive. Please note. Anything loose like Candy Corn or those pumpkin things like em or the like did not make my list because I assume you're not going to be giving that stuff out.

1. Necco wafers. Sorry. But Cloves isn't a good candy flavor. Cloves flavored chalk (a necco wafer) is even worse. Blech. Couple that with Crest toothpaste flavor. Crest toothpaste mint flavor. Blech and blech, and Licorice (blech) and well what do you get. Blech. Give these out if your house looks good in yolk.
2. cheap bubble gum. This stuff is rank. The flavor, which is like toothpaste to begin with, runs out after 10 chews. That's before the piece of garbage gum even gets soft. Good gum. Yeah love it. iAnd beware of those cheap kiddie mixes with three awesome things and cheap gum. It will be 2/3 cheap gum.
3. Circus Peanuts. These are candy only in the academic sense. They were once marshmallows. They once might have had flavor. They need to go the way of the big top. Flop.
4. Good and Plenty. One of the worst candies to give out. First the kids have to like licorice. Most don't. Secondly, this is about the crummiest cheap licorice on the market. And they look they're coated in pepto Bismol.
5. Generic taffy things wrapped in Orange and Black. Get with the times Granny. Nobody likes those any more. They didn't back then either. You're just too old to remember you threw them out as a kid.
6. Smarties. MMMM Mini Tums.
7. Candy buttons. All that work for.... Not surprisingly, they're made by Necco. If your trees look good covered in toilet paper, by all means.
8. Mary Janes or bit o'honey or all those old things. Uh gramps when I told you to get something other than the orange and black taffey, I didn't mean these. But they are good for one thing. If you have a grandkid with a loose tooth that stubbornly won't come out have him Chomp down on a couple of these babies, then open his mouth. If it's truly ready to come out, out it comes. Also good for removing your dentures if the adhesive is sticky.
9. Butterfinger. Oh god yuck. Although their new commercial is funny and it does have a loyal niche. Not the worst thing you could give out. Just have a back up.
10. Almond Joy or Mounds. Sorry. Cheap and nasty coconut surrounded by cheap chocolate. Now I'm not against chocolate and coconut. But this stuff is rank. Not interested.

But all these are infinitely preferable to some of the new fad gifts people are giving out.
1. Kale chips. Huh? You just wasted your money. These are going into the garbage. Steak. It's what's for Dinner. Round up. It's what's for Kale.
2. Religious pamphlets. Just what every 6 year old needs. Scare pamphlets complete with fake fetuses. If you think Halloween is the Devils holiday that's fine. Just leave your lights off.
3. Halloween themed tooth brushes and tooth paste. Huh. Who do you think you are? Willy Wonka's dad? Can't even spring for Neccos?
4. Pencils, Erasers, notebooks. What in the heck? School supplies? You're giving out the absolute last thing a kid wants. School supplies? This is some gift lame adults like. The kids hate them. Oh but my kid loves them. Yeah sure they do buddy.
5. Political literature. What? You gave my kid a vote for x button? You think a 7 year old is going to like that? My word.

Other Halloween don'ts.
1. Don't make little 5 and 6 year olds go through your little haunted house to get candy. They don't like it. Oh and don't do the religious haunted house even if you do give out candy at the end rather than some literature nobody wants. Just don't. See #2 below.
2. If you don't want to participate, don't leave your lights on and don't answer the doorbell.
3. Don't tell anyone they're too old unless you would like tire ruts in your lawn.
4. Don't leave your pumpkins out past trick or treat time. They tend to get smashed.
5. Don't make your 4 year old hand out candy. They're slow. The first time he drops the candy it's cute. The 50th time, uh not so much.
6. Don't run out of candy. Buy something you like so you can eat the left overs. Unless you actually like something on the list. Then see #2 above.
7. Don't just put out the bowl. You'll be out of candy by 6:30. Unless it's one of the things above. Then your bowl will still be full by 10:00.
8. Don't cop an attitude. Really. How hard is it to buy a bag with different things in it. There will be things for little ones, things for allergies. Don't give snickers to those known to have allergies. If you can't be bothered to do that, see #2 above.
9. Don't hand out differing amounts of candy to different kids based upon their costume or the like.
10. Don't give out loose stuff except to those that know and trust you. I'm sure your home made pop corn balls are great but you just can't be too careful these days and they'll mostly get thrown out.

Exception to the above. If a kid says Trick or Treat Smell my feet, feel free to Kale Chip, stale Necco wafer, or School supply the brat. HAHAHA. That's clever. I have a nice special treat for such a clever kid. Kale Chips!!!!

Last edited:
To save you time, I'll just post the definitive post of that thread updated with some new material.

Other Halloween don'ts.
1. Don't make little 5 and 6 year olds go through your little haunted house to get candy. They don't like it. Oh and don't do the religious haunted house even if you do give out candy at the end rather than some literature nobody wants. Just don't. See #2 below.
2. If you don't want to participate, don't leave your lights on and don't answer the doorbell.
3. Don't tell anyone they're too old unless you would like tire ruts in your lawn.
4. Don't leave your pumpkins out past trick or treat time. They tend to get smashed.
5. Don't make your 4 year old hand out candy. They're slow. The first time he drops the candy it's cute. The 50th time, uh not so much.
6. Don't run out of candy. Buy something you like so you can eat the left overs. Unless you actually like something on the list. Then see #2 above.
7. Don't just put out the bowl. You'll be out of candy by 6:30. Unless it's one of the things above. Then your bowl will still be full by 10:00.
8. Don't cop an attitude. Really. How hard is it to buy a bag with different things in it. There will be things for little ones, things for allergies. Don't give snickers to those known to have allergies. If you can't be bothered to do that, see #2 above.
9. Don't hand out differing amounts of candy to different kids based upon their costume or the like.
10. Don't give out loose stuff except to those that know and trust you. I'm sure your home made pop corn balls are great but you just can't be too careful these days and they'll mostly get thrown out.

Exception to the above. If a kid says Trick or Treat Smell my feet, feel free to Kale Chip, stale Necco wafer, or School supply the brat. HAHAHA. That's clever. I have a nice special treat for such a clever kid. Kale Chips!!!!

You made me recall an addendum to my post. It's something I add to my personal blog every year: No matter how old the kid is, give them candy. I know people that had abusive situations growing up, their first real trick or treat was at age fifteen and they looked like they were twenty already because stress. It costs like 25 cents to give them a piece of candy and not be 'that guy'. You don't know someone's age, you don't know their past, just make them happy.

This also goes for kids without costumes or kids with really cheap costumes. Poor kids exist, kids with families that don't help or care exist, give them the candy and keep the commentary away from their ears. Yes, we all love the little girls in the perfect princess dresses or the little boys in the pirate costume with props. Not everyone is lucky enough to have that.

Ditto for nonverbal kids who don't say trick or treat.

Anything that doesn't have a proper labeled wrapper gets thrown away in this house. That is, cellophane wrapped single candies, generic looking wrappers, and any chewy candy that feels rock hard, like stale taffy. Also, raisins.

I'm going to go one step further with this - Don't distract kids parents and then stuff their buckets with religious pamphlets - that's just not right. Our church did this one year at our downtown trick or treat event. We found a new church.

You made me recall an addendum to my post. It's something I add to my personal blog every year: No matter how old the kid is, give them candy. I know people that had abusive situations growing up, their first real trick or treat was at age fifteen and they looked like they were twenty already because stress. It costs like 25 cents to give them a piece of candy and not be 'that guy'. You don't know someone's age, you don't know their past, just make them happy.

This also goes for kids without costumes or kids with really cheap costumes. Poor kids exist, kids with families that don't help or care exist, give them the candy and keep the commentary away from their ears. Yes, we all love the little girls in the perfect princess dresses or the little boys in the pirate costume with props. Not everyone is lucky enough to have that.

Ditto for nonverbal kids who don't say trick or treat.

Exactly, who cares how old a kid is. If he knocks on my door he (or she) is getting candy. No performance necessary, I'll even give some to parents if they want it.

I must be weird, I love the peanut butter chews, necco wafers, candy corn, all the stuff other people hate. I love when the kids get these in their bags because they'll just give them to me, I don't have to go hunting for the bag later.

One last thing - to whoever gave my 9 year old a kazoo last night - if I ever figure out who you are, I will be toilet papering your house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter