Requesting a Server Question

TXAGGIE92

Earning My Ears
On our last cruise we requested a server from a previous cruise. Towards the end our server mentioned that they were working with a new head server and assistant server on this cruise. I was under the impression that the serving teams typically stayed together, so my first question is if you request a server does that throw them off their normal rotation or was this just a coincidence?

I was also curious if requesting a server is good for them professionally or if it causes more of a disruption in what is already a hectic life.

Teams change from time to time. Yes, requests make them look good. No disruption caused.

On our last cruise we requested a server from a previous cruise. Towards the end our server mentioned that they were working with a new head server and assistant server on this cruise. I was under the impression that the serving teams typically stayed together, so my first question is if you request a server does that throw them off their normal rotation or was this just a coincidence?

I was also curious if requesting a server is good for them professionally or if it causes more of a disruption in what is already a hectic life.
The servers/assistant servers can change groupings from cruise to cruise.

Requesting a server does give them good feedback for their personnel files.

They don't move servers to place them with people requesting them, they place the people making the request at the server's locations. That's why it's not a good idea to make two requests in that matter. For example, if you request server A and asst server 3, they may no longer be working together. Or, if you request asst server 3 and a specific rotation, that server may not be scheduled to work that rotation. And DCL often won't give either request, since they don't which to honor if the two requests are conflicting.

They switch up the serving team periodically so requesting one does not change anything to disrupt them. This is why when making a request you only list the one person you want, if you list a team they may no longer be together and Disney won’t know which one you want. Also, if it’s possible to meet your request Disney puts you at a table in that server’s section. It does not change the number of people he/she is servicing or the location they are in. You will only get your requested server if it can work out, so again, no disruption. I have heard that it is noticed in a favorable way for a server when they are requested.

Just to add my own anecdote, I was on the Fantasy for a merrytime cruise back in December and my mom and I really liked our server. When we requested him for our SWDAS last week, we got him but we had a new assistant and head server. Schmoo and aj are absolutely correct!

As others have said, the serving teams - Server/Asst. Servers do change up. This happens for many reasons such as end of contract for one or the other, your asst. server may actually be a server who is currently working down for a multitude of reasons and will then move back up, the asst. server transitions up to being a server and so forth. Also, the head servers rotate through the dining room during their contract. Every few weeks, the head servers, switch over to a different grouping of servers/assistant servers/tables in the dining room. For example when I did B2B cruises, the first week I had one head server however the second week I had a different one because it was the week for the head servers to change locations in the dining room. I did keep the same server/asst server/table however.

when I did B2B cruises, the first week I had one head server however the second week I had a different one because it was the week for the head servers to change locations in the dining room. I did keep the same server/asst server/table however.
We did a back to back, and our serving team was scheduled to split up, but they kept them together. When I got the tip slips for the second cruise, it did not have the correct assistant server noted. I went to guest services. It took them a while to figure out that the person had switched areas in the dining room. Guest services AND the assistant server assured me that the tips would be given correctly. Weird but true.

According to our servers on the Wonder , the teams are re mixed as often as every cruise. They also rotate between server and assistant server. We have resisted the urge to request certain servers and have been rewarded by meeting other excellent servers. The only request we made was when we traveled in a large famliy group(10) with 4 small children. Luckily, we sailed 6 weeks before the trip as a couple. We asked our head server for a recommendation for someone patient with small children and large groups. He gave me his personnel e mail and told me to send him an e mail a week before. He hand picked the best possible team and we received the most personal attention of any cruise. I wish this was an option for every cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter