Resale = No DVC Perks?

And a mathematical comparison of the cost of points exchanged into those systems, compared to renting out points and using the cash gained to book those same services, shows that using those points to pay for the services is not financially wise move whether you are a direct or resale buyer anyway.

A modern buyer, anyway. 1995 OKW points may still be okay in trade value.

Yes they would do better to trade points in than to just purchase for cash, and they may find it to be more hassle free. Those points don't rent for any cheaper, though. At $12 a point rented out they would still profit more than using them to trade into cruises, etc.

Update, my mom is now feeling overwhelmed with the flood of information coming in. Because the CCV contract will close next week, she just wants to stick with it, and we will decide if we need to add on points in a few years, depending on our trip habits. We have 300 points to use this year, which is enough to do our Sept trip and then we will borrow from next year for Dec. We will re-asses our needs in 2 years. As long as she is happy with her decision, that is what matters. Still irritated with the guide, but she likes having a direct link to booking help and whatever, since her fog brain needs the assistance. Thanks everyone for all the input and advice. I learned a lot for the future.

Update, my mom is now feeling overwhelmed with the flood of information coming in. Because the CCV contract will close next week, she just wants to stick with it, and we will decide if we need to add on points in a few years, depending on our trip habits. We have 300 points to use this year, which is enough to do our Sept trip and then we will borrow from next year for Dec. We will re-asses our needs in 2 years. As long as she is happy with her decision, that is what matters. Still irritated with the guide, but she likes having a direct link to booking help and whatever, since her fog brain needs the assistance. Thanks everyone for all the input and advice. I learned a lot for the future.
Her guide is just a sales person. Not her best DVC friend. She'll find out more here on the DIS than through that guide, especially with what you have already written here about the guide. I wouldn't expect a lying liar to tell me the right information.

That is 100% within her rights to do that. I just want to share how heartbreaking it is to hear that she is jumping in with a $25000 investment due to being overwhelmed. It should absolutely be the opposite. She should step away in order to reconsider her options. That's why the 10 day rule is in place.
The points will still be available for quite some time. Her money, however, will be gone forever unless she backs out now.
She can easily resign the contract in a week or two after thinking things over and deciding the CCV really is the best choice for her.

Very sad, exaggerating, not telling the truth, gets Disney another overpriced sale. The buyer didn't do their homework and they trusted the sales person. She played right into it plus now she is on the sucker list. Make sure that she doesn't buy other timeshares when she starts getting contacted, most of those companies are worse than Disney.

BTW, she is done with the guide/salesperson. Her contract has now been turned over to quality assurance to close. She has zero further dealings with him unless she buys direct again. She now deals with a different group, member services which is a whole other learning experience. She needs to learn the use rules, when and how to make a reservation, 11 month and 7 month booking windows, point rules, banking and borrowing, holding accounts, and UY rules. What to do when the phone wait time is 30 or 40 minutes, when the website goes down, when the reservation system for extra events screws up, when to reserve the extras that book up in a few hours, what extras are paid for by marketing and which have an added fee.

Good luck.

:earsboy: Bill

Agree - absolutely her decision. However my gut says that being so overwhelmed means she sees the arguments for not buying the CCV and in that case I feel err on the side of caution and rescind the purchase. As I said above 1 trip won't overcome a decision that turns out to be no as good as it might have been. It's the only chance she'll have to back out and study the differences without being under the pressure of a timeline to rescind. The second that time has passed there's a loss to sell the CCV if it really isn't where you want to stay and that's the main reason to purchase direct right now - if that's where you want to stay the majority of the time. The same points will be there if she decides next week that CCV is the best option for you all. Or it will be there 2 months and you can be all signed up in a few hours. Or investigate the resale and have that to use if it is better.

Frankly - I'd hate to give that guide any sort of credit for the sale too.

This is so disappointing, and is the most egregious example of guide misinformation I have ever heard of. There will be no “guide” available to help her when she gets confused...it is all handled thru MS.

I think you should find out who the manager of the guides is and complain. This cannot be sanctioned by Disney. It is elder abuse!

This is so disappointing, and is the most egregious example of guide misinformation I have ever heard of. There will be no “guide” available to help her when she gets confused...it is all handled thru MS.

I think you should find out who the manager of the guides is and complain. This cannot be sanctioned by Disney. It is elder abuse!

Yes, I had missed that about thinking the guide would be there to help with bookings etc. They will not be. They are there to sell and that is is and booking assistance will come from MS just as it does for any owner whether they bought resale or not. If that is a factor - a direct link - it should be disregarded.

Sad thing is that is is sanctioned by Disney to a degree. The guides are trained, given talking points, a visual guide to go by, are reviewed, trained some more, told to use the free points and direct extra argument. Think about it, DVD created the restrictions and extras just to be able to use that argument during sales pitches. They also deliberately delay resale closings and have now taken away member cards from resale buyers as if they are not members. Seems to me that Disney/DVD has set the direction for the guides.

Sad thing is that is is sanctioned by Disney to a degree. The guides are trained, given talking points, a visual guide to go by, are reviewed, trained some more, told to use the free points and direct extra argument. Think about it, DVD created the restrictions and extras just to be able to use that argument during sales pitches. They also deliberately delay resale closings and have now taken away member cards from resale buyers as if they are not members. Seems to me that Disney/DVD has set the direction for the guides.

Well perks and free points are completely fair game. Their job is to make money, after all. Gamesmanship with half truths such as "I heard a rumor that..." or "only direct sales can get perks" without giving the whole story are still fair in my book. It is the consumer's responsibility to be educated. Outright lying about having to close in Flordia crosses a line for me, though. That in no way is based in truth or reality and is just trying to take advantage of someone's anxiety.

In the future, if she needs help booking, her guide will not be here point of contact.

Well perks and free points are completely fair game. Their job is to make money, after all. Gamesmanship with half truths such as "I heard a rumor that..." or "only direct sales can get perks" without giving the whole story are still fair in my book. It is the consumer's responsibility to be educated. Outright lying about having to close in Flordia crosses a line for me, though. That in no way is based in truth or reality and is just trying to take advantage of someone's anxiety.

It crossed a big time line for me too. This should not stand, and someone needs to report this guide to Disney.

IMO, it really makes no sense to buy entirely direct. Get the majority of your points resale, then add on with a small direct purchase. Even if you have money to burn, it just is not a wise financial decision.

As for perks, if you buy strictly resale, you only get 3 perks:
1) Top Of The World Lounge
2) free DVD rentals
3) Pool hopping

While it breaks my heart to hear that an unscrupulous guide is being rewarded, from the buyers perspective, resale vs direct may not save her a lot of money. It looks like she is buying CCV points and I'm only seeing a 14% premium for direct points for those. Of course that is assuming she wanted CCV to begin with and I didn't factor in difference in closing costs or incentives Disney might be throwing in.

This whole thread makes me sad.

When we bought BLT direct nearly 10 years ago it basically was an impulse buy and had no idea there was a resale market so we really did go in blind. After the fact I decided to get online and research what we had bought. While there is an absolute wealth of information here and other places it's also true that it is absolutely overwhelming.

Even after learning about resale we still bought a 100 point add on direct because resale made me nervous, seemed a bit too good to be true and slightly dangerous. A couple of years later we felt like we needed more points and contacted a guide about a different resort (BCV) and was told they didn't have any points in our UY. That same day we made an offer on 160 point BCV resale contract and haven't looked back, in fact we bought another 160 points at SSR resale.

We are not unhappy with our direct purchases and are very happy with our resales but it took a lot of time and research to get to this point. Yes they have tried to devalue current resale points by not giving new buyers the perks and making it feel like "less" but I will say that no one at MS has ever made me feel like our resale contracts were inferior, they function seamlessly.

A lot if this drama is because CCV does not seem to be the preferred resort. BLT has been mentioned.

While it breaks my heart to hear that an unscrupulous guide is being rewarded, from the buyers perspective, resale vs direct may not save her a lot of money. It looks like she is buying CCV points and I'm only seeing a 14% premium for direct points for those. Of course that is assuming she wanted CCV to begin with and I didn't factor in difference in closing costs or incentives Disney might be throwing in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter