RESALE POLICY CHANGE!

I am really angry with Disney for this. I am a first time purchaser and have 2 contracts that were sent to DVD for ROFR on March 24th. I signed these contracts thinking I would have membership privileges like the 25 th anniversary events, discount on AP's ( this is a big one..$800 per year) and now I feel cheated. I would love to cancel these contracts at get my escrow deposits back.... This makes me feel that Disney is less than magical... When I contacted my brokers yesterday that said I would be grandfathered in... Now it seems Disney is changing the rules daily.

I think losing my $2125 deposit might better than spending $35K on DVC .. When Disney wants to treat people who buy resales as non-members. I would have bought direct but have no interest in staying at the Poly or GFV.

Thanks for the reply! We use our points for WDW reservations only. We're not cruise people and there are so many other travel deals out there that our first two points contracts from Disney aren't worth using for RCI trades anyway. Sounds like we're good!
You will still be able to use the World Passport Collection (RCI) with your purchase, as that was NOT excluded back in 2011 or now. Whether you really want to or not is another issue, but at least for this it is YOUR choice!

:)

ok so some are talking about adding points that are direct after a resale purchase. how does that help? does it suddenly give you back all perks you might not have had? i assume no. i assume you only would keep what you were grandfathered in before a change. for example i purchased about 2013. i can't use points for cruises or regular disney hotels. but i keep my perks before today. . . for now. so if i buy points now direct i lock myself in if they change anything else going forward? i don't suddenly get access to older things like the points on cruises and hotels from the property that aren't dvc?

It would give you access to the just removed member benefits and also the the member cruise which was a perk removed for resale buyers after March 2011. You'd have to pay cash for the member cruise since 25 points wouldn't pay for one person but you could qualify to go. The 2011 change affected what you could use your points on vs this new change which is just about perks. So no, it won't mean you can use your points for the Disney collection etc except for the few you bought direct but there never was anything of real value lost with that. But having the direct purchase will get you into any member events you would like to attend (assuming they were going on when you were there) and also get you the discounts that were just removed going forward for resale.

I am really angry with Disney for this. I am a first time purchaser and have 2 contracts that were sent to DVD for ROFR on March 24th. I signed these contracts thinking I would have membership privileges like the 25 th anniversary events, discount on AP's ( this is a big one..$800 per year) and now I feel cheated. I would love to cancel these contracts at get my escrow deposits back.... This makes me feel that Disney is less than magical... When I contacted my brokers yesterday that said I would be grandfathered in... Now it seems Disney is changing the rules daily.

I think losing my $2125 deposit might better than spending $35K on DVC .. When Disney wants to treat people who buy resales as non-members. I would have bought direct but have no interest in staying at the Poly or GFV.
Sadly, DVC did not let you know that they are currently selling all DVC resorts - not just GFV and Poly. Regardless, you might let your resale broker know that you feel you have been mislead and the conditions which you made your offer are no longer valid and you wish to rescind your offer and get your deposit back. It might be worth a try.

Sorry you have been caught up in Disney's cruel ineptitude. :(

I agree that it is beyond crazy that the information first sent out was apparently wrong re: date of purchase for the new rules impact, but the bottom line is that NO one that is buying into DVC for a deeded real estate interest in order to get accommodations at a decreased cost has lost anything. Every member regardless of when they purchased has access to book the DVC resorts in their respective booking windows. No one should have ever bought into DVC for the perks/benefits/discounts. That just makes NO sense whatsoever. Perks and benefits have changed more times than I can count since I joined in the early 90's. The contracts are patently clear that benefits/perks can change at any time for any of us members.

How will DVC refer to these owners who are not members?

I suppose this seems logical to the person who decided that if you bought resale, you could not even pay cash to go on the member cruise. Someone looked at that and said, well they must not be members.

I hope this all goes away like styrofoam cups in studios!

I'd point out again that anyone can still buy an annual pass and get all the same discounts that were just removed from the DVC membership. The pass will cost a little more because unless your a FL resident you can't get the gold AP but you can get a pass and still have the discounts. I did that before buying DVC.

The other perks? For those that don't know they are not scheduled with enough advance notice and are so limited that often they are booked up before most even read the email. The Merry Mixer? We finally made it to our first one last year although we had been there during the time previous years or else just missed it by a day or two because DVC, once again, did not announce the dates far enough in advance and then changed the day of the week. I finally stopped even trying to guess and just buy an ornament on ebay if it's cute from one of the local DVCer's that go to every party and pick them up to sell. And my thought after going? Nice enough, but I don't know that we'd take the time to attend again. TIW? If you bought an AP you could qualify for it with that. But the way they've been raising the price on it it's not the perk it once was.

This all has been very poorly handled but if DVC made sense for you in the first place then it likely still should.

Well, it looks like this is no longer true. We just got the call from our broker.
I'm thinking of cancelling my resale! Can they legally change a policy while basically in transit?we have already placed a binder on the property. To me this seems unlawful seeing as money has already been exchanged.AmI wrong?

it very well maybe was but holy crap how can they be hurting for money. if they are i don't buy it at all. look across the board of all they own. the successes across the board also with the various franchises they own.

The reports are that Shanghai is about $1 billion with a "b" over budget right now. That's big even for Disney. That's enough money for executives to face consequences over. This is why we are seeing all these cutbacks and money grabs, they're scrambling. It won't be the end of the world for Disney, but, like I said, there will be consequences for something like that. I think Shanghai will make the money back and way more, but they're looking at OMG what are we going to tell the shareholders for this quarter.

It would give you access to the just removed member benefits and also the the member cruise which was a perk removed for resale buyers after March 2011. You'd have to pay cash for the member cruise since 25 points wouldn't pay for one person but you could qualify to go. The 2011 change affected what you could use your points on vs this new change which is just about perks. So no, it won't mean you can use your points for the Disney collection etc except for the few you bought direct but there never was anything of real value lost with that. But having the direct purchase will get you into any member events you would like to attend (assuming they were going on when you were there) and also get you the discounts that were just removed going forward for resale.
that's interesting. i figured it would just permanently grandfather me into any future changes for resale people and the stuff from yesterday vs before 2011. i didn't think i would have access to the cruise. so if i bought enough points for a cruise i could use just those points vs paying for cash if i wanted. interesting. really didn't think it would work that way. or pay for a night or two with points if i really want to stay at say port orleans if i had the points for it via direct.

As far as being grandfathered in, was there a written statement from DVC outlining the details? Or was there lots of info being shared on social media that was not official. Believe me with any large company, Disney included, if it is not in writing, you can not hold them to it.

I know this upsets many of you, but honestly I just don't see it. As a business Disney should try everything possible to make direct sales. If anything caused this, it was everyone shouting how crazy you were to buy anything but resale. Think of how many times lately advice has been given here to resend a direct buy and consider resale.

I enjoy my Disney trips as much as anyone, but I have always seen behind the curtain. I never wore the pixie dusted glasses, they are a company in business to make money. Nothing more. Honestly knowing exactly what they are, has kept me from being disappointed and a satisfied customer.

We bought to get a discount on two bedroom villas, nothing more. In fact not much else was offered when we bought. As long as I get that, I am good with it.

As far as being grandfathered in, was there a written statement from DVC outlining the details? Or was there lots of info being shared on social media that was not official. Believe me with any large company, Disney included, if it is not in writing, you can not hold them do it.

I know this upsets many of you, but honestly I just don't see it. As a business Disney should try everything possible to make direct sales. If anything caused this, it was everyone shouting how crazy you were to buy anything but resale. Think of how many times lately advice has been given here to resend a direct buy and consider resale.

I enjoy my Disney trips as much as anyone, but I have always seen behind the curtain. I never wore the pixie dusted glasses, they are a company in business to make money. Nothing more. Honestly knowing exactly what they are, has kept me from being disappointed and a satisfied customer.

We bought to get a discount on two bedroom villas, nothing more. In fact not much else was offered when we bought. As long as I get that, I am good with it.

I printed the letter from Potrock where he said we're grandfathered. :rolleyes: It was the link under the notices on the website.

Yeah. For a system that favors 11/7 booking, and has many non-local owners, their event date announcement timing leaves a LOT to be desired. 100 days notice? Really? :crazy2:

I'd point out again that anyone can still buy an annual pass and get all the same discounts that were just removed from the DVC membership. The pass will cost a little more because unless your a FL resident you can't get the gold AP but you can get a pass and still have the discounts. I did that before buying DVC.

The other perks? For those that don't know they are not scheduled with enough advance notice and are so limited that often they are booked up before most even read the email. The Merry Mixer? We finally made it to our first one last year although we had been there during the time previous years or else just missed it by a day or two because DVC, once again, did not announce the dates far enough in advance and then changed the day of the week. I finally stopped even trying to guess and just buy an ornament on ebay if it's cute from one of the local DVCer's that go to every party and pick them up to sell. And my thought after going? Nice enough, but I don't know that we'd take the time to attend again. TIW? If you bought an AP you could qualify for it with that. But the way they've been raising the price on it it's not the perk it once was.

This all has been very poorly handled but if DVC made sense for you in the first place then it likely still should.

Well said, Kat4Disney. I think if folks will step back and read posts like yours they will realize they still have every single thing their contract said they have. NONE of us were "guaranteed" discounts. This is about buying a TIMESHARE folks. It's about having accommodations that won't cost you an arm and a leg. It never, ever, ever was about the perks. Lots of us have been members for over 2 decades. These perks/benefits have come and gone. But our timeshare accommodations are STILL THERE for us.

What a screw up by DVC. Member Administration did initially communicate that it was based on whether your contract was received for ROFR, and now today they are communicating a different message. Bad, bad, bad.
Sadly they've been pretty consistent recently. The same as not having the online reservation system ready to support new SSR classes on time or more recently the new MEADFinal.pdf doc defining "Member" in paragraph 1 and then using it differently in paragraph 2. Not the way a first-class org runs their business.

Bruce

that's interesting. i figured it would just permanently grandfather me into any future changes for resale people and the stuff from yesterday vs before 2011. i didn't think i would have access to the cruise. so if i bought enough points for a cruise i could use just those points vs paying for cash if i wanted. interesting. really didn't think it would work that way. or pay for a night or two with points if i really want to stay at say port orleans if i had the points for it via direct.

The member cruise was the only thing from the 2011 change that made a distinction that wasn't soley affecting how you could use your points. It required that you have some direct bought points after 2011 to even go on the cruise and that works because they never required you use points to go on the cruise so a member could go on it paying cash for everyone. That still applies today (at least AFAIK)

I'm thinking of cancelling my resale! Can they legally change a policy while basically in transit?we have already placed a binder on the property. To me this seems unlawful seeing as money has already been exchanged.AmI wrong?
well i just heard from mine too! this sucks!

As a business Disney should try everything possible to make direct sales. If anything caused this, it was everyone shouting how crazy you were to buy anything but resale.

What is very interesting though, is this. The general consensus is that Disney did this to boost Direct Sales. So the implication is that Disney is doing this and using the "perks" as a sales tool. However as many people have stated here before the perks can come and go at any time. As we've seen this weekend, Disney can give and Disney can take. So read and heed, anyone buying Direct now because of the benefits, would best be warned. Direct buyers beware, if Disney tries to sell based on the perks, remember this thread and how it blew up in 3 days. The perks can evaporate at any time. Don't ever pay a premium for them.

Tinks624, sorry for the news you got on the changes, but DVC has not changed any "policy" at all. You are getting exactly what your contract would state, an interest in a DVC timeshare which entitles you to accommodations. There is absolutely nothing remotely unlawful about changes in perks/benefits, etc. It has happened dozens of times during my 20+ years as a member. Contracts clearly state this. All of them outline that the purchase is ONLY timeshare interest. Not any possible discounts, etc. Sorry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter