RESALE POLICY CHANGE!

We are in the middle of a resale purchase and just got word from the broker that Disney is saying anyone who submitted the resale contract for review to DVD prior to 4/4 will receive benefits. Anyone 4/4 and later will not.

We've been told the same thing from our broker. Our contract was dated 3/7/2016 and we're still awaiting ROFR.

True value and perceived value are two different things and both can still effect resale in my mind. I think I would be pretty bitter if I became a DVC member - even if paying less in resale- and see DVC discounts that I cannot use and parties I am not allowed to go to.

This could be true but I can't imagine any of these things with worth the thousands of dollars difference between resale and direct. At least as the member benefits stand today.

As a longtime member that bought when the minimum was over 200 points I think they should not allow someone to buy 25 points add-on JUST to get the benefits/perks. Seems very unfair to those that played by the DVC rules of purchase. Yes, I paid less per point back then, but everything cost less in the 90's...houses, cars, you name it. It's all relative. No offense but it just seems very inequitable that someone could have all perks/benefits for a 25 point purchase.

Consider there was a period of time after the Great Recession started when Disney dropped the minimum purchase from it for new purchasers to as low as 50 points. Other than the 25 minimum add-on, Disney itself therefore does not have a "low" number it would want to set because it would always want that option to go as low as 50 or 25 to new purchasers in skewed economic times, and it would not want to put benefit limitations on its own sales.

Last edited:

Consider there was a period of time after the Great Recession started when Disney dropped the minimum purchase from it for new purchasers to as low as 50 points. Other than the 25 minimum add-on, Disney itself therefore does not have a "low" number it would want to set because it would always want that option to go as low as 50 or 25 to new purchasers in skewed economic times.

Very good points, but most of the guides do not spiel the 50 point master contract option until they see the person either doesn't have the money or won't spend the $. I would hate it if they dropped the minimum for a master contract lower than it already is. 25 point add-ons have been the norm as long as I can remember & I've been a member a very, very long time. I cannot count the unhappy members I've spoken to (or read about on various forums) that have one of those tiny amounts of points as their entire membership and then find it incredibly difficult to book something. If they are going to bank/borrow they certainly can get 3 years worth of points together so in that scenario it would work more effectively.

As a longtime member that bought when the minimum was over 200 points I think they should not allow someone to buy 25 points add-on JUST to get the benefits/perks. Seems very unfair to those that played by the DVC rules of purchase.

But the DVC "rules of purchase" allow for the purchase of a 25-point contract. So how is someone who does that not playing by the rules?

YOU REALLY DONT SAVE MONEY, you are just paying less to start your membership

I disagree,most my points were bought direct years ago. I added a resale contract a few years ago at BWV for $55 a point. I certainly saved money on that contract. My daughter bought in at SSR for $59 a point for 150 points. That is all she needs and has no plans to add on. She's happy with that purchase.

But the DVC "rules of purchase" allow for the purchase of a 25-point contract. So how is someone who does that not playing by the rules?

DVC only allows 25 point purchases for member ADD-ONs, not as a master contract. The only way folks have been able to become a 25 point (total) member is by purchasing some member's 25 point add-on contract. DVC does not sell a master contract for less than 50 points.

I'd like to remind everyone that these are incidental benefits to a DVC membership and are not part of your DVC membership. DVD uses these incidental benefits to market their product, so it makes sense for them to remove these incidental benefits from those who aren't buying their product, but are are buying resale.

Do DVC Members deserve better perks

http://i235.************************************************************* DVC Mike - *******.com

As a longtime member that bought when the minimum was over 200 points I think they should not allow someone to buy 25 points add-on JUST to get the benefits/perks. Seems very unfair to those that played by the DVC rules of purchase. Yes, I paid less per point back then, but everything cost less in the 90's...houses, cars, you name it. It's all relative. No offense but it just seems very inequitable that someone could have all perks/benefits for a 25 point purchase.
The people buying a 25 point add-on also played by the rules.

I know that the minimum new purchase is 100 now but have also heard some get in as low as 50. However, what I was talking about above was not a hidden program. AKV actually went down to a published 50 point minimum initial purchase sometime after the Great Recession started. Those who bought those 50 point contracts and those who buy 25 point add-ons are within the rules for getting benefits and unless it is a benefit like the Disney Collections for which you need to actually use points, I do not see a reason for Disney to set any minimum other than the 25.

Last edited:
Without reading every reply--I was just wondering if the AP 'Gold' Pass is under these benefits they are taking away? My recent purchase is fine, but this could be a deal breaker for someone in the market for a resale (plus lower the value of my current contract).

DVC only allows 25 point purchases for member ADD-ONs, not as a master contract. The only way folks have been able to become a 25 point (total) member is by purchasing some member's 25 point add-on contract. DVC does not sell a master contract for less than 50 points.
Anybody who already bought resale and then adds on for benefits would already have a master contract and be able to buy a 25 point contract, under current rules.

If they up that to 50, well, buy Vero Beach for $110 and rent. My guess is that over time, this is going to increase the rental market anyway. I think the law of unintended consequences here is DVC just added fuel to the fire of its rental competition.

Well, then DVD is permitting that, because otherwise, they shoulda ROFR those badboys, nein?

Without reading every reply--I was just wondering if the AP 'Gold' Pass is under these benefits they are taking away? My recent purchase is fine, but this could be a deal breaker for someone in the market for a resale (plus lower the value of my current contract).

Yes, new resales buyers won't get the AP discounts.

http://i235.************************************************************* DVC Mike - *******.com

I beg to differ as in someone who buys Poly now at $160, or Bought at SS in 2014 for $140 didn't pay the same, and has the same privileges beyond the 11/7. A logical, and frankly fair way to deal with resales would be that those resale points could only be used at the home resort. That I would totally understand.

Do you feel the same way about someone who bought direct from Disney in 1991 and paid $48/51 a point for OKW? Prices go up and down for things all the time - whether or not someone buys on the secondary market vs directly from Disney should not matter. Heck some of the resale prices these days are higher than when Disney initially sold them direct. Isn't that a good thing for owners who bought direct? I mean just because I didn't buy my home from the builder doesn't mean I shouldn't be entitled to use the community pool and fitness center that my monthly HOA dues cover the cost of maintaining.

Any "select" AP's available only to DVC members (such as the Gold) or any discounts for AP's, will not be available to new resale purchasers. Also gone are the 10% merchandise discounts at WDW stores, waterpark discounts,dining discounts, and, based on some broad catch-all language Disney provided, you should probably assume virtually all DVC discounts are gone.

Last edited:
I think the loss of theme park ticket (AP) discounts, the discount on the Tables in Wonderland card, and the dining and shopping discounts are the biggest loss to resale purchasers.

Agreed.....the loss of the AP would have hit us hard, along with the TIW card. Hopefully the value on my BWI has not taken 'too' hard of a hit, in the event we need to sell it in a few years. SO glad I bought before this stuff went down!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter