RESALE POLICY CHANGE!

Here's what I don't get...will those people who buy resale as of today be sent a different type of membership card? Because if not, how is a store or restaurant going to know who bought resale and who bought direct?

Here's what I don't get...will those people who buy resale as of today be sent a different type of membership card? Because if not, how is a store or restaurant going to know who bought resale and who bought direct?

I've heard new resales purchasers might not even get a membership card.

http://i235.************************************************************* DVC Mike - *******.com

I think the loss of theme park ticket (AP) discounts, the discount on the Tables in Wonderland card, and the dining and shopping discounts are the biggest loss to resale purchasers.
Do DVC members get a discount on the TiW card?

DVC only allows 25 point purchases for member ADD-ONs, not as a master contract. The only way folks have been able to become a 25 point (total) member is by purchasing some member's 25 point add-on contract. DVC does not sell a master contract for less than 50 points.

I think debating the 24 point add on is kind of fruitless, as it will be DVC to close the loophole if they choose. But your reply actually brings up a better question. If resale purchasers after today are basically not part of the "club" and all of its perks. Does that mean that any contracts they attempt to buy directly from DVC could also not "count" as add on contracts.

The scenario being played out by people is you go out and buy a 150 point contract on the re sale market, then purchase a 25 point add on to that contract from DVC. But couldn't DVC just as easily tell you no, you must purchase the "minimum" contract that any non owner must purchase first, before you can do an add on. I would think the small contract add on is just as much of a benefit/perk as anything else. Disney does not have to offer it to anyone, so they could theoretically exclude resale purchasers from that as well.

I hope one of the unintended consequences isn't that when transferring ownership among family that it negates the member benefits. It would be a tough sting for someone who just lost a parent and have the ownership transferred to them only to then find out that it is a membership-lite.

I'm sure that making sure database flags work for member card card issuance will go smoothly, given Disney's world-class, best-in-class IT systems that they are so well known for.

LOL. Undoubtedly this will all be a mess for a while.

I hope one of the unintended consequences isn't that when transferring ownership among family that it negates the member benefits. It would be a tough sting for someone who just lost a parent and have the ownership transferred to them only to then find out that it is a membership-lite.

Another thing not mentioned by Disney as to what it will do. However, Disney has not treated gifts/inheritances as transfers subject to the previously exisiting Disney Collections exclusion.

Last edited:
Another thing not mentioned by Disney as to what it will do. However, Disney has not treated gifts/inheritances as transfers subject to the previously exisitng Disney Collections exclusion.

We called after the last restrictions came about, and this is what we were told. I hope it holds.

So let's say you had a contract that was grandfathered in and one purchased after 4/4, could Disney say that on days/nights when staying on new points, your discounts won't work? Especially if they use the MB to track. Just thinking about the restrictions placed on point use for the DCL.

I'm not sure what you mean? Are you saying a person doesn't really save money by buying resale? That couldn't be further from the truth. I'm just glad we closed on our resale in Jan, so we're grandfathered in. I wanted to get an add on via resale. I wonder if that would effect anything?
So how many points did you buy and what resort and when did you purchase and for what$ pp?

Shouldn't. The contracts say that transfer and will is all good.

So let's say you had a contract that was grandfathered in and one purchased after 4/4, could Disney say that on days/nights when staying on new points, your discounts won't work? Especially if they use the MB to track. Just thinking about the restrictions placed on point use for the DCL.
That's what I understand and also have heard if you combine points it doesn't help with workaround.

I highly doubt that. The point of this is to get more people to buy direct, it is the only advantage it gives DVC. Plus the discounts and such are not dependent on your staying at Disney at all. Going that far would be very difficult to track. Also disney is hesitant to use magic bands for that, since it opens the door for discounts to be applied automatically which would cost them money.

Anybody who already bought resale and then adds on for benefits would already have a master contract and be able to buy a 25 point contract, under current rules.

If they up that to 50, well, buy Vero Beach for $110 and rent. My guess is that over time, this is going to increase the rental market anyway. I think the law of unintended consequences here is DVC just added fuel to the fire of its rental competition.

Vero is going around $55-$60. But higher dues ($8.08).

The next thing will be restricting rentals.

I doubt that is what would happen. Discounts like the 10% merchandise discount at WDW stores, the AP discounts, the TIW card, the golf discount, and the dining discounts, all currently apply regardless of whether you are even staying at a DVC resort or even on site. So Disney would have to first adopt a rule that all the discounts depend on your staying at a DVC resort, and, if it did so, that would change the applicability of the discounts to pre- 4/4/16 owners, which DVD claims it is not doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter