RESALE POLICY CHANGE!

1. DVD reserves the right to revise or adjust any or all Program requirements for Vacation Points at any time and without notice. DVD reserves the right to add to or delete Accommodations or impose block-out dates at any time and without notice.

This is new I believe

Just two thoughts:

1. I am not so sure that resale values will decrease. Were I looking to buy into DVC, I would be comparing the cost of DVC with the discounted hotel rates that I normally pay. I wouldn't be considering any discounts or perks that everyone says could go away. Unless I wanted Poly, the resale price could be several thousand dollars less than direct. None of the perks are worth several thousand dollars, especially since they are not guaranteed to remain. They come, they go and have done so since the inception of DVC. Remember when we used to get park passes with every DVC stay? Bottom Line: Resale prices depend on supply & demand and I do not see demand decreasing. It didn't after the 2011 change - at least not for long.

2. Also not so sure very many people will be buying 25 point add ons to get the perks. DVC annual pass seems to be the most valuable of those. At $171 per point, that's $4,275 just for the opportunity to buy an annual pass at a discount. If that amounts to $200 difference from what anyone could buy an annual pass, I'd have to buy 21-22 passes just to break even. Not gonna happen! Especially if I have to buy Poly or Aulani or VWL2 because I can't buy direct & get BWV, BCV or wherever I really want the 11 month advantage.

You would think that if disney has such a problem with people buying resale that they would put in a clause that if you want to sell that you have to sell back to disney at some sort of prorated rate. Glad we bought last year.

Is there really a difference between a member booking 3 nights and a member renting for 3 nights. I would think that there are many members who only do short trips. Those with annual passes that only like to visit for a few days during the week. So to me rentals are a non issue.

The only reason that we bought DVC was because of renting for several stays. Had we not rented DVC, we would have never even thought about buying. I also know several people that have bought after renting. Renting brings more people to DVC making more sales both resale and direct.

1. DVD reserves the right to revise or adjust any or all Program requirements for Vacation Points at any time and without notice. DVD reserves the right to add to or delete Accommodations or impose block-out dates at any time and without notice.

This is new I believe
So what the heck are they DVD/DVC intending to block- out? Are we going to have to have park tickets during these "block-out" times in order to use the resort we paid for? Are they now adding required Length of stays? I assume the right to add or delete accommodations has to do with the new " accommodation request" that pertains to the new resort category at Saratoga Springs?

PS: could the block- outs be a way to prevent members with large contracts and businesses/renters from taking hard to get reservations to rent out?

Last edited:

My sales data does not support your statement. I'd want to check all the Residential Units at PVB, but I'm finding about a quarter to a third are small deeds of 75 points or less. Furthermore, there are a number of cases where the same owner(s) bought two or more of these smaller deeds, so they actually have 100 points or more.
We met a bunch of members who bought 3-5 75 point contracts at Poly and GF so this way they could give them to their kids in their wills and each kid would get a contract.

Just two thoughts:

1. I am not so sure that resale values will decrease. Were I looking to buy into DVC, I would be comparing the cost of DVC with the discounted hotel rates that I normally pay. I wouldn't be considering any discounts or perks that everyone says could go away. Unless I wanted Poly, the resale price could be several thousand dollars less than direct. None of the perks are worth several thousand dollars, especially since they are not guaranteed to remain. They come, they go and have done so since the inception of DVC. Remember when we used to get park passes with every DVC stay? Bottom Line: Resale prices depend on supply & demand and I do not see demand decreasing. It didn't after the 2011 change - at least not for long.

2. Also not so sure very many people will be buying 25 point add ons to get the perks. DVC annual pass seems to be the most valuable of those. At $171 per point, that's $4,275 just for the opportunity to buy an annual pass at a discount. If that amounts to $200 difference from what anyone could buy an annual pass, I'd have to buy 21-22 passes just to break even. Not gonna happen! Especially if I have to buy Poly or Aulani or VWL2 because I can't buy direct & get BWV, BCV or wherever I really want the 11 month advantage.
But. If you were going to buy SSR 150 pts at 90 resale, if you buy 125 instead, and then bought a 25 pt direct contract for 140, then the increased cost is $1250, $50 point more for 25 points.

This is new I believe

This is specifically in regards to the Disney Collection and the Concierge Collection.

http://i235.************************************************************* DVC Mike - *******.com

This is new I believe

"DVD reserves the right to add to or delete Accommodations or impose block-out dates at any time and without notice. "

What does this come from? This does not seem to appear in the current policy from Ken Potrock in our online member information. Is it from another portion of the POS or some other document?

This is specifically in regards to the Disney Collection and the Concierge Collection.
Ahh - Thanks, Mike. That makes sense and I agree, they do have the ability to modify the restrictions for any/all 'perks' - but not the legal components of the POS.

Still cost you around $4300 for 25 points direct at a place like BLT. Take a while to get that amount back in the financial perks DVD is giving you. Glad I,m already in.

I submitted my first dvc purchase for ROFR 3/10. Now I don't know if I want it to go through. Renting DVC points is now clearly the best option. I really don't like that I made the offer thinking "pool hopping might be fun" that is now not an option.

I submitted my first dvc purchase for ROFR 3/10. Now I don't know if I want it to go through. Renting DVC points is now clearly the best option. I really don't like that I made the offer thinking "pool hopping might be fun" that is now not an option.
It's still an option for you.... You are grandfathered if you get through ROFR...

You're assuming that those 25 points have no value other than the perks. They're 25 points, so give them at least the value of what you'd pay for them resale. Then it's less than half the passes to break even. With 5 in a family, that's only 2 years.

I have the same question as the previous poster. We passed ROFR on Friday and I was hoping someone has clarification on whether or not those in the process who have signed contracts and are awaiting estoppel are grandfathered in?

I emailed our broker and hope that he has some clarification.
Please let us know what you find out.

You're assuming that those 25 points have no value other than the perks. They're 25 points, so give them at least the value of what you'd pay for them resale. Then it's less than half the passes to break even. With 5 in a family, that's only 2 years.
What's the price difference between direct and resale? With the same member number allowed to be used, what's to stop someone from buying 25 points direct, getting your card, then selling those 25. Does that owner who still has resale points no longer get the benefits? How can they track that?

With is starting today and with the timeline for buying resale Disney has about 2 months to figure out how they are going to do this before the first person who bought today or after will have a membership number.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter