RESALE POLICY CHANGE!

We tend to disagree quite a bit - but I will emphasize:

WHAT IS IN THE DVC CONTRACT? Please - read it. There are VAST differences between anything "Historically Offered", "Perks", "Extras" - and what is in the CONTRACT.

Example: My wife and I have Corporate Pensions. HISTORICALLY, we have been offered retiree medical insurance. A pension is a contract. Within the next few years? I suspect that "Medical Insurance" will vanish - it was NOT in the contract. Having READ the contract? I really did not expect this to continue. Please - READ YOUR CONTRACT. If something is not "in there"? There is no guarantee that a benefit will continue. A contract, today, is a license to sue..... even the items within a contract simply allow one to SUE if there is a breach.

Now - given that.... anyone think that a Disney Lawsuit will turn out well? :)

Thank you, Southerngirl! Many happy DVC years to you as well. Fingers crossed we learn our fate with ROFR in the next few weeks. We'll get there eventually! :wizard:

Wow-- not to put the screws to you, but this turn of events really puts some import on passing ROFR------ wouldn't it be a kick in the... if DVC just ROFR's all the contracts currently in limbo? Not at all that I think they will.

And I feel your pain as being one of the ones affected by this change-- or potentially affected.....

And for me it's a bit more than just being able to make the reservations too, I still can't quite believe that I own a small piece (2 now actually) of a building at the Polynesian for 50 years (well 49 now). The Polynesian is just so iconic and one of those historical Disney things, it's like saying you own a piece of Adventureland or something- what? I own what? Lol.

And then finding out that the pieces of the units that I own are pieces of the Moorea building, and that they're units that face out towards the lake and can see the castle, it's even more magical. I know, I'm not ever guaranteed to stay in those particular rooms, but it's still weird to think that I own pieces of those rooms that I see every time going by on the ferry to MK.

I had like thoughts after buying BWV. Though it was a new resort, I thought we were really owning a piece of that fantastic building right on Disney property and right next to Epcot.

Then one day I sat down and figured out that what I had purchased was a small part of a unit of BWV, which unit was actually the combination of at least two 2BRs. I also figured out the approximate total points for that unit compared to my points and the approximate square footage, and finally I did the math and determined that what I likely owned was a small section of the wrong part of the master bathroom toilet.

IMO Disney is good at the general marketing and poor at the micro marketing. A general guess is they get about 10% of the people in for sales tours compared to what they could/?should and sell about half or less what they could/?should for those that do tour. OF course they'd have to have more inventory than they do if they did a better job. I'd agree the emotions play a big part but I don't think DVD is good and turning those into sales.

That's true, the people at the kiosks are very laid back and don't even approach sometimes. And then when you do tour, the guides just kind of lay it out and let you make the first move about a decision, they don't really sell or even try to convince very much. Which is nice that it's not a hard sell, but probably gets less sales than they really should. I am thankful I didn't have to go through like a Westgate type experience though, lol.

From the DVC site. https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/faq/pre-arrival-checklist/check-in-check-out-times/

What time is Check-In and Check-Out at Disney Vacation Club Resorts?
A.
Check-In is after 4:00 PM (please notify Member Services if you're planning a late arrival), and Check-Out is by 11:00 AM.

Sorry, but that logic is a bit silly. What you're saying is that as long as your room is ready by 11:59pm, they're in compliance? Obviously things happen so it's going to get missed from time to time, but "after 4:00pm" means 4:01pm or later to me.

Just for kicks, here's the official snippet from the public offering statement for BCV. (I'm pretty sure the others are the same on this point.) I suppose the front desk automatically approves the extention when the room isn't ready, so that's how they'd get around that as a definitive requirement, but the rooms are SUPPOSED to be ready at 4:00pm.

Attachments

• BCV-checkintime.JPG
    BCV-checkintime.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I had like thoughts after buying BWV. Though it was a new resort, I thought we were really owning a piece of that fantastic building right on Disney property and right next to Epcot.

Then one day I sat down and figured out that what I had purchased was a small part of a unit of BWV, which unit was actually the combination of at least two 2BRs. I also figured out the approximate total points for that unit compared to my points and the approximate square footage, and finally I did the math and determined that what I likely owned was a small section of the wrong part of the master bathroom toilet.

Oh, now don't put it that way! You own a piece of the Boardwalk! You own something within walking distance to Epcot, Walt's dream! Let's say that you own a piece of the balcony instead of the toilet area, lol. I did some quick calculations and figured I probably own a few square feet in one of the rooms that make up the unit. But I DO NOT own the toilet area! I refuse to believe that! I own the part of the shower floor that doesn't drain and clogs, or part of the wall without the sound insulation to let the boat horns in!

Oh, now don't put it that way! You own a piece of the Boardwalk! You own something within walking distance to Epcot, Walt's dream! Let's say that you own a piece of the balcony instead of the toilet area, lol. I did some quick calculations and figured I probably own a few square feet in one of the rooms that make up the unit. But I DO NOT own the toilet area! I refuse to believe that! I own the part of the shower floor that doesn't drain and clogs, or part of the wall without the sound insulation to let the boat horns in!
The non-grandfathered purchasers that buy resale own the toilets. At least they will, after the next change....

*Effective April 9, 2016, owners who purchase from parties other than directly through DVC will have their contracts restricted to owning the restroom areas of each unit, or the common restroom facilities of their home resort, and will be responsible for cleaning the aforementioned facilities.*

Sorry, but that logic is a bit silly. What you're saying is that as long as your room is ready by 11:59pm, they're in compliance? Obviously things happen so it's going to get missed from time to time, but "after 4:00pm" means 4:01pm or later to me.

Just for kicks, here's the official snippet from the public offering statement for BCV. (I'm pretty sure the others are the same on this point.) I suppose the front desk automatically approves the extention when the room isn't ready, so that's how they'd get around that as a definitive requirement, but the rooms are SUPPOSED to be ready at 4:00pm.

DVC published the "after" 4:00PM a couple of years ago. Our latest room ready was 7:30 at SSR, next was 6:00 at BLT, and 5:30 at BWV.

:earsboy: Bill

DVC published the "after" 4:00PM a couple of years ago. Our latest room ready was 7:30 at SSR, next was 6:00 at BLT, and 5:30 at BWV.

:earsboy: Bill

7:30? Seriously? That's horrible. Wow. I'll have to flip through some of the amendments to see that. I can see running a little over but 7:30pm could be rough.

The non-grandfathered purchasers that buy resale own the toilets. At least they will, after the next change....
I doubt if that's true. But if it is...they will own the keys to the Kingdom!

Just sayin'.

That's true, the people at the kiosks are very laid back and don't even approach sometimes. And then when you do tour, the guides just kind of lay it out and let you make the first move about a decision, they don't really sell or even try to convince very much. Which is nice that it's not a hard sell, but probably gets less sales than they really should. I am thankful I didn't have to go through like a Westgate type experience though, lol.
IMO there is a LOT they could do and still be appropriate and professional. I believe that would get them to the numbers I quoted or close to it. Just making a contact for each nonmember staying at DVC would go a long way. They could also be a lot more aggressive in the sales process and still be reasonable. But there is a line where it turns from professional to weasel, I'd prefer they not cross over that line.

The TP dispenser is an appurtenance to said ownership interest, but the TP itself is an incidental benefit that can be discontinued at any time and without notice.
I think one could reasonably argue that the TP dispenser is part of the furnishings, like the delightful and highly-prized sleeper sofa, and is therefore not part of the purchased real estate interest. One refurb and it's history.

But clearly, the TP is an expendable supply item to which no owner or squatter has any right.

IMO there is a LOT they could do and still be appropriate and professional. I believe that would get them to the numbers I quoted or close to it. Just making a contact for each nonmember staying at DVC would go a long way. They could also be a lot more aggressive in the sales process and still be reasonable. But there is a line where it turns from professional to weasel, I'd prefer they not cross over that line.
If I can be serious for a moment...I agree. DVC could do a LOT more and still be professional. Several other high quality timeshare sales organizations do better without being either unethical or unprofessional. Even Wyndham - bless their twisted little hearts - is getting better. Not everyone is like Westgate; nor do they need to be.

If I can be serious for a moment...I agree. DVC could do a LOT more and still be professional. Several other high quality timeshare sales organizations do better without being either unethical or unprofessional. Even Wyndham - bless their twisted little hearts - is getting better. Not everyone is like Westgate; nor do they need to be.
And. I'd much rather, even as a member, get a call offering me a few free FPs for a 30 min tour instead of creating this tiered program.

There's a big difference between high pressure and making a pitch.

What if THIS were a common comment on these boards, "Take the tour, score some FPs. It's not high pressure and you're in and out in 30 min, less than waiting in line for 7DMT..."

How much more face time would their guides get?

This change reminded me of a post I made back on May 5, 2012:

Disney may continue to further restrict the availability of these special programs and discounts in order to further differentiate buying direct from buying on the resale market.
DVC Purchase – What exactly are you getting?

I'm surprised it took almost 4 years to do so.

I also am very surprised DVC hasn't made this move way before now.

Whoa. That's pretty icky. I guess i've been very blessed. I've even taken possession of GV's at OKW before noon more than once. Please folks, that ain't the norm, k? But yippee when it happens!! :love: I can think of only a couple of times that we did not have our room ready more than a tad past 4pm. Sorry Bill. That's pretty bad luck. Just curious, do you do online check-in? Not sure that would make a hill of beans of difference but just wondering..

Wow-- not to put the screws to you, but this turn of events really puts some import on passing ROFR------ wouldn't it be a kick in the... if DVC just ROFR's all the contracts currently in limbo? Not at all that I think they will.

And I feel your pain as being one of the ones affected by this change-- or potentially affected.....
Yes - it would be a kick in the you know what... But I can't let that get to me. If it happens, it happens & we'll have to reevaluate our plans at that point. Until then, it's anyone's guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter